Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElvisMickey

If everyone gets vaccinated (zero chance).

If enough people are vaccinated to result in herd immunity (this could be a concern).

If everyone has gotten their vaccination (this process is still in progress).
“Everyone” doesn’t need to get vaccinated. Even the health professionals have said this, if you watch the news. Just enough for us to turn the tide on this entire situation. Is no one going to ever drive again because there are multiple car accidents everyday? Give me a break.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Not sure how you can say this. It has not been repeatedly wrong. The proof is in what we are seeing right now. The current community spread would not be where it is right now with vaccination alone. We paid dearly for that, but natural immunity is a critical component to our current drop in cases and will likely save us from a future surge.

It has been repeatedly wrong. The US is largely getting by right now because of vaccinations, not because of recovered infections. Recovered infections will eventually be sufficient but that typically takes many many years and waves. That doesn’t mean it does not help, but vaccinations are what matter.

Otherwise Sweden would be out of this like people swore up down and sideways literally a year ago. There’s a reason no one clings to Sweden anymore because recovered infections sucked and vaccinations rock.

1448ECB2-7B75-49C7-B5D4-93EA7905EFAA.png

BrianLo

My concern isn’t (primarily) for those who are vaccinated, but for those who are unvaccinated. Yes, I know the dominant thinking in this thread is “Well, that’s their problem”, but I don’t much relish the idea of a more virulent strain of the virus infecting the millions of Americans who remain unprotected. And all of us suffer in the end, because the more scope the virus has to proliferate, the likelier it is that still more harmful variants will emerge.

Exactly. As hard as it is for some to wrap their heads around I don’t care about myself. I’m in a very privileged boat as a fully Vaccinated Canadian and have been for a couple months.

Half the population of the US is not vaccinated and as much as it is amazing for the half that is, I’m still worried for the half that are not.

We spend so much time and energy counseling on very small minutae that *probably* won’t matter (like a single parent refusing vitamin K). Certainly I don’t mind wasting a bit of energy when we are still talking about an equally innocolous intervention in over 100 million people. If everyone wants to get back to normal help a neighbour come around to vaccinate.

Disney Glimpses

It has been repeatedly wrong. The US is largely getting by right now because of vaccinations, not because of recovered infections. Recovered infections will eventually be sufficient but that typically takes many many years and waves. That doesn’t mean it does not help, but vaccinations are what matter.

Otherwise Sweden would be out of this like people swore up down and sideways literally a year ago. There’s a reason no one clings to Sweden anymore because recovered infections sucked and vaccinations rock.

View attachment 561091
Agree vaccinations are the most key component. But you are belittling immunity from prior infection. Fact is, if we didn’t have our currently level of natural immunity we’d be amidst another wave right now because of vaccine hesitancy.

BrianLo

Agree vaccinations are the most key component. But you are belittling immunity from prior infection. Fact is, if we didn’t have our currently level of natural immunity we’d be amidst another wave right now because of vaccine hesitancy.

Yes, I’m not meaning to belittle it strictly as a means of providing some benefit. It helps, but it was an awful strategy. For every 10 million Americans through natural immunity we’ve lost countless lives and many hospitalizations and negative outcomes (including economic). Meanwhile the US vaccinated 10 million+ in a week with very little in the way of harm. It’s nice that there is some natural immunity, but it would have been better if we had vaccinated instead.

TrainsOfDisney

Six weeks then. Jeeze we're a pedantic bunch today.
And that’s 6 weeks from when everyone was eligible to get the first shot. Not from when everyone was able to schedule and receive a shot.

And since it’s 4 weeks in between moderna shots and 2 weeks after the second shot.. the very first people in line would just now be “fully vaxxed” as the kids are saying.

THAT is why I feel it’s too early.

CaptainAmerica

And that’s 6 weeks from when everyone was eligible to get the first shot. Not from when everyone was able to schedule and receive a shot.

And since it’s 4 weeks in between moderna shots and 2 weeks after the second shot.. the very first people in line would just now be “fully vaxxed” as the kids are saying.

THAT is why I feel it’s too early.
If you feel it's too early for you, don't go out.

Nickp1983

That sounds pretty typical of WDW dining for a while now, well before COVID.

Everything is made quickly. I assume they're just prepping everything and food is ready in advance of specific orders being placed. If you get an appetizer you're lucky to finish it before the entree arrives.

It's all about turnover turnover turnover.

You have to control things yourself if you want a different experience. Don't order your main meal until after your appetizer has arrived or been cleared, things like that.
No. Unless things changed 2 years ago. 3 years ago the service was great. We are sitting down at lunch now and it's the same thing. In and out.

You shouldn't have to go out of your way to control things for a dinner experience that would equal Applebee's.

JoeCamel

No. Unless things changed 2 years ago. 3 years ago the service was great. We are sitting down at lunch now and it's the same thing. In and out.

You shouldn't have to go out of your way to control things for a dinner experience that would equal Applebee's.
Table turns, still trying to get the pre covid number of covers out.

Flugell

You can't compare the US and UK situations.
UK is vaccinated with AZ which doesn't work so well with India variant. Then there is a lot of first shoot but not a lot of fully vaccinated, like Canada in sort of.
Also, it is inevitable that the number of case will rise after the lockdown end, because even vaccinated people can be contaminated. The best parameter to monitor is the death from now.
From the U.K. here. No you can’t compare the 2 countries because we have a higher percentage of adults vaccinated with a first shot (74.8%) currently only available to aged 30+. The rate of fully vaccinated is increasing rapidly now standing at 48.5%. Between 25th and 31st May there were 58 deaths in the U.K.. During the same period there were 870 people admitted to hospital with coronavirus. The AstraZeneca vaccine seems to be working very well, thank you as the majority of deaths and cases are, so we have been told, though not exclusively, amongst the non vaccinated.

So let’s compare those figures to those of the USA.
Total doses given = 295 m fully vaccinated 41.2% - a lower% than the U.K.!
Couldn’t find the figures for comparable week but between 19- 25 th May 3122 people admitted to hospital, which assuming our population is about 1/5 of the USA is lower than ours, last week was bad! Deaths however we had 58 deaths and you had 438. 58 x5 =290 so our comparable death rate is 66.2% of yours.

If we are all honest with ourselves, although things are improving, neither country is completely out of the woods yet.
The Indian variant (apologies to India for calling it that) is what is driving cases in the U.K. and is now in the USA in a small number of cases. Let’s hope that remains the case. We are due to remove restrictions no earlier than the 21st June but this will be reassessed one week before that taking into account the latest figures for vaccination progress, hospitalisation and deaths which seems a very reasonable approach to me.

We should not be trying to score points off each other or criticising quality of vaccines. We should be focusing on getting as many people as possible, throughout the world, effectively vaccinated. Then and only then can we truly relax. However we should also celebrate our triumphs along the way!

Rescue Ranger

Well, after saving up and then losing the absolutely most perfectly planned 2 weeks at Polynesian into RCI due to covid, we are now about to finalize a hopeful Vero Beach + Old Key West 2 weeks in October.

As heartbreaking as it was to lose Polynesian after so much planning and hard work, we decided to do a different kind of Disney trip this time and experience the 50th in a different way.

The Polynesian NOW RCI points we'll probably put into Aruba or some Caribbean destination. That dream Polynesian Village vacation we had our hearts set on, we'll hold off on for a couple or few more years. Not the time for it. However, still very much excited for Vero and OKW as both will be a first!!

We've secured Vero but still trying for OKW(point rentals).

Flugell

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I guess the slight increase in "cases" over the past few days that is causing some to panic. Of course that article above referred to an extremely low number of deaths (I think it said one within 28 days of infection). Also, the slight uptick in infections in no way resembles exponential growth to date.
The uptick is hardly a 3rd wave at this point. Is it possible that a few weeks or month from now the cases spike and there is a true 3rd wave....sure, but seeing cases plateau and even rise a little doesn’t mean it’s a lock that a new wave is starting. We heard the same thing in Israel when they opened things up and they had a plateau and it was short lived and turned back down. Circled in red below:
B0809C67-6734-4DAC-AB9A-4AC524494EBD.jpeg

In the US we heard the same thing about the start of the next wave and it also was short lived and turned back down again. Circled below in red:
CCC9F3A9-B2FD-4DA4-B9AE-F17AC7A6D309.jpeg

Wendy Pleakley

I'm just sharing what I've personally observed, that this is not a new phenomenon. Your mileage may vary.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I honestly didn't think that we were that far ahead of the UK in vaccinations.
UK is actually 8% ahead on first shots and about 3% behind on fully vaccinated so I’d say they are a little ahead of us overall, but in the same ballpark. They clearly have more cases of the Indian variant so that’s a potential issue. Their “spike” in cases is actually a change from 3 cases per 100K to about 4.5 cases per 100K. The US is still around 6 per 100K so we are catching up now on case reduction.

Flugell

UK is actually 8% ahead on first shots and about 3% behind on fully vaccinated so I’d say they are a little ahead of us overall, but in the same ballpark. They clearly have more cases of the Indian variant so that’s a potential issue. Their “spike” in cases is actually a change from 3 cases per 100K to about 4.5 cases per 100K. The US is still around 6 per 100K so we are catching up now on case reduction.
Not according to the government figures today and the latest CDC figures I could find.
Agreed we are both doing well!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not according to the government figures today and the latest CDC figures I could find.
Agreed we are both doing well!
I was just looking at the Bloomberg tracker which has the UK at 58.8% with 1 dose and 37.9% fully vaccinated and the US at 50.5% with 1 dose and 40.7% fully vaccinated. I think your link was looking at just adults where the UK is about 12% ahead of the US on first shots and still a few percent back on fully vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom