Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

For small gatherings too I believe. I was trying to buy tickets for a show in late June in nyc and vaccine card was required and they were still enforcing distancing within the show and they said you can only buy so many tickets per “pod” etc.

Id still call that a large gathering. Small gathering is a restaurant, family get together, etc. A theater is a large gathering.

Chomama

Can someone with more knowledge help me guess at what is going on in my area? We have 40% of adults with one dose. We had 18 cases yesterday. Out of 809k people. Surely we have had so many infections that 40% puts us closer to herd immunity than we guessed it would? Our county cases have been low for weeks with a 14 day positivity of 1.5%. It can’t just be seasonality, right? No big drop in testing either

seascape

Well the number of cases fell again but not as many today. The number is now 25,318. 4 states are at 14, one at 13, one at 12 and 3 at 11, a total of 9 states between 11 and 14. On an even more positive note there are now 12 states with 5 or less cases per 100,000. The only bad news is Florida is still at 12.

ABQ

Well the number of cases fell again but not as many today. The number is now 25,318. 4 states are at 14, one at 13, one at 12 and 3 at 11, a total of 9 states between 11 and 14. On an even more positive note there are now 12 states with 5 or less cases per 100,000. The only bad news is Florida is still at 12.
Is weekend data reliable? I know my state does not report cases over the weekend any longer and dumps a 3 day total on Monday afternoon. Related...the NM dept of health is planning to dump a backlog of death totals today from December through present of New Mexican's who died outside of the state. I hope they means numbers are taken away from the states which they did pass away within, but as it's a government accounting function, odds of counting twice are equal to odds of not being counted at all, I suppose.

DisneyCane

I observed something unexpected this morning at a Walmart in a red part of FL which never had a local mask mandate. Today was my first visit there since the policy was officially changed to allow no mask for vaccinated customers and employees.

There was a higher percentage of people wearing masks than under the old policy of mandatory masks. I used to see a lot of employees wearing a chin strap or having their nose exposed and today they all had nose and mouth covered.

Maybe the unvaccinated customers are more willing to comply with an "either/or" choice instead of a single option demand.

For the employees, maybe Walmart is being more strict if an employee doesn't prove they are fully vaccinated.

ImperfectPixie

I observed something unexpected this morning at a Walmart in a red part of FL which never had a local mask mandate. Today was my first visit there since the policy was officially changed to allow no mask for vaccinated customers and employees.

There was a higher percentage of people wearing masks than under the old policy of mandatory masks. I used to see a lot of employees wearing a chin strap or having their nose exposed and today they all had nose and mouth covered.

Maybe the unvaccinated customers are more willing to comply with an "either/or" choice instead of a single option demand.

For the employees, maybe Walmart is being more strict if an employee doesn't prove they are fully vaccinated.
If the bold is true, it just proves what spoiled little children those people are.

Kevin_W

Interesting observation. The only store I have been to since we changed mask orders is Costco, which I think still has a mask mandate? It still looked the same.

My wife and I went out to dinner Saturday evening to a popular area of town. It was crowded, people milling about outdoors and not a mask in sight (outside, or in the restaurant). Hopefully all those people were fully vaccinated (quite possible, my area of town has a pretty high uptake).

It was a weird feeling to be in a fairly "normal" setting after all this time. But it was also very nice - beautiful weather, happy people, good food, even an outdoor band was set up. Hopefully we're at the start of a pretty good summer.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

You are going to have a really tough time convincing me that a single person who wasn’t wearing a mask before started to after this policy was released. I do think that depending on levels of community spread many people who are fully vaccinated are still wearing a mask. It turns out that wearing a mask for 15 mins while you cruise through Walmart is no big deal for the vast majority of people. I would guess most if not all of the people who were wearing masks were vaccinated. Remember too that we are still not much past the point where the vaccine opened to the general public and it takes 6 weeks to complete the series so anyone who got their first shot after April 12 isn’t fully immune. Many of those people may lose the masks once they hit full immunity.

On the employee side I think you are spot on. I would guess that the rule change may have actually resulted in a ramp up of enforcement of the policy which may have become a little loosely followed over time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
NJ's case numbers are doing something interesting, there was a dramatic drop and then all of a sudden it hit a plateau, and is not trending up slightly.

1621864799413.png

DisneyCane

You are going to have a really tough time convincing me that a single person who wasn’t wearing a mask before started to after this policy was released. I do think that depending on levels of community spread many people who are fully vaccinated are still wearing a mask. It turns out that wearing a mask for 15 mins while you cruise through Walmart is no big deal for the vast majority of people. I would guess most if not all of the people who were wearing masks were vaccinated. Remember too that we are still not much past the point where the vaccine opened to the general public and it takes 6 weeks to complete the series so anyone who got their first shot after April 12 isn’t fully immune. Many of those people may lose the masks once they hit full immunity.

On the employee side I think you are spot on. I would guess that the rule change may have actually resulted in a ramp up of enforcement of the policy which may have become a little loosely followed over time.
Based upon the % vaccinated in the area, at least on this visit, there were a higher percentage of customers wearing masks than were likely to be vaccinated. I don't really have an explanation. It could also be a coincidence that there happened to be more people who wear masks regularly in the store at the time. I'll report back next time I go through the area and shop in that store.

Weather_Lady

Based upon the % vaccinated in the area, at least on this visit, there were a higher percentage of customers wearing masks than were likely to be vaccinated. I don't really have an explanation. It could also be a coincidence that there happened to be more people who wear masks regularly in the store at the time. I'll report back next time I go through the area and shop in that store.
In my area, many of us who are fully vaccinated (i.e., the County Health Department reported last week that over 55% of those in my county are vaccinated, but I'd guess it's typical to see 75% or more of patrons in a venue-that-doesn't-require-it still masked) are voluntarily wearing masks indoors in stores, etc., particularly where we can't easily stay 6 feet from others. In such circumstances, DH and I still wear masks when we're with our kids because they aren't yet fully vaccinated (so we wear masks in solidarity with them), and also for the emotional ease of customers and employees around us who might still be vulnerable (kids under 12, those with immunosuppressive conditions) who have no way of knowing we're fully vaccinated and might feel nervous around us otherwise.

We're so used to it now it's really no big deal -- I work in a federal government building so I still have to wear a mask there every time I step outside my office into a common area anyway, and they're still required for the kids at school and for sports. Now that my family is all either fully vaccinated, or in the case of my 2 teens, partway through the process, I welcome the loosening of restrictions even if we're not fully taking advantage of that yet. I look forward to the day when everybody is eligible to be vaccinated, such that those who choose not to be are mostly just a danger to themselves and each other.

Last edited:

GaBoy

Exactly my experience in South / Coastal Georgia. I mentioned this in a post last week. Since the CDC policy change, in an area that saw very low masking, there are more masks... way more??? Being low in the vaccinated percentage of states, it is almost as if now that since stores have dropped mask requirements and placed the burden on the individual, I am now seeing the unvaccinated in true numbers. Like I stated before, I hope it generates enough paranoia and aggravation that it moves people (not the diehards) off their tails to get vaccinated.

Edit: Also, remember that Georgia was never a mask mandated state. Just businesses making them a requirement.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why does a face mask or lack of one change what is normal?

The last event I worked felt perfectly normal. I wore a mask the entire time as per the rules of the event organizers. Nothing “non-normal” about the event.
I have no issue wearing a mask and I’ve gotten pretty used to it in most settings to the point that it doesn’t bother me, but I still wouldn’t say it feels normal. I do think after 12+ months of wearing a mask it feels a little odd to not have to wear one, but I suspect that feeling will be short lived, especially once masks are dropped everywhere for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom