Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah the normal crowds for July 4th fireworks at WDW and DL is pretty insane. I could see them waiting until after the 4th just to avoid that.

Even if they didn’t care about the distancing anymore, not sure if they would have the staff ready for all of that.

wutisgood

Considering the vibe I get from guests that they were looking into universal or visited sea world for the first time in years, I don't think disney will wait too long. I think pent up demand in vaccinated people is enough to get Disney through more people and places getting vaccinated.

The insane crowds will probably be normal buy then most places.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah the normal crowds for July 4th fireworks at WDW and DL is pretty insane. I could see them waiting until after the 4th just to avoid that.

Even if they didn’t care about the distancing anymore, not sure if they would have the staff ready for all of that.
It should be close to that timeframe on staffing. The first wave of College Program kids comes back June 14 with future waves coming later in June and July. Assuming a little time is needed for orientation and/or training they should in theory have the staff to increase park hours a bit by July 1 at MK and DHS and add CMs for crowd control if they wanted fireworks at either or both of those parks. EPCOT is already open late enough so would just be a matter of having the extra staff for crowd control around show time.

havoc315

I wish my company would do the same. They have decided that vaccination status is private so won’t ask so now everyone still has to wear masks. Every employer in the country should implement the CDC guidance as official policy ASAP and ask for proof of vaccination for workers to get out of masks. If that happened we would hit 80% of adults vaccinated by the end of June or sooner. Very few people feel so strongly opposed to the vaccines that they would be willing to sit around in a mask unnecessarily.

I’ve been beating that drum for months: that we need some sort of “passport” (ie— vaccine status checked with consequences) to push up vaccination levels.
But the opposition towards any such checks in most of the country has built up so strongly, it would be futile.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ve been beating that drum for months: that we need some sort of “passport” (ie— vaccine status checked with consequences) to push up vaccination levels.
But the opposition towards any such checks in most of the country has built up so strongly, it would be futile.
I agree for public places in general but work is completely different. I see no viable way to have a passport system where I have to show proof of vaccination to shop at Target. However, it’s very easy for an employer to ask an at-will employee to show proof of vaccination to be exempt from wearing a mask. That’s much easier to regulate and enforce. Since people spend the bulk of the time where they are exposed to people outside of their immediate families at work that’s where you get the most bang for your buck anyway. It’s a much greater incentive for someone to want to get vaccinated so they don’t have to wear a mask for 8+ hours a day at work then it is to get out of wearing a mask while shopping at the supermarket or Target.

Jlwise2021

I don’t think we need to check vaccine status or continue “mandating” masks. Covid stats are way better, and cases in all of the US yesterday was 18,000, making the 7 day average around 25,000 cases. Vaccines are still happening and now a new case does not equal what it did last year. We have such a high percentage of those most vulnerable vaccinated, and if someone wants a mask, they can wear it as long as they like. I’m still curious when Orange County will drop the mask mandate because he did say 14 day rolling average of under 5%, and the county is well under this.
DEF8D4E3-BDCE-4F12-8805-D85FCF026615.jpeg

jlhwdw

On Friday, my workplace dropped the requirement for those who are vaccinated to wear masks. I am very happy that we've reached that point. It's wonderful how well the vaccines have performed.
We did it last week too. I'm still more than happy to wear it around anyone that feels more comfortable with it, and I know we have a few people that are still finishing up the two week moratorium after dose # 2. But it's just nice to walk the hallways and move about the building without it, but knowing I have it in my pocket should I need it.

That said, I know we have some folks that are fully vaccinated but still won't take it off, and that's fine. If they are more comfortable with it it is and should absolutely be their right to wear masks indefinitely.

What I don't agree with are fully vaccinated co workers who now are opting to take PTO and/or unpaid time off after being in the building for months because they no longer feel safe with unmasked humans in the building. This despite being fully vaccinated for some time. And they can continue to do that no questions asked I believe through the end of 2021. Nobody is saying they can't still mask up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t think we need to check vaccine status or continue “mandating” masks. Covid stats are way better, and cases in all of the US yesterday was 18,000, making the 7 day average around 25,000 cases. Vaccines are still happening and now a new case does not equal what it did last year. We have such a high percentage of those most vulnerable vaccinated, and if someone wants a mask, they can wear it as long as they like. I’m still curious when Orange County will drop the mask mandate because he did say 14 day rolling average of under 5%, and the county is well under this.
View attachment 559728
Months ago the stat that was thrown out by Fauci was a sustained drop to under 3 cases per 100,000 people nationally before we drop masks and distancing for everyone. Things are looking great right now (about 7.5 cases per 100,000) but we still aren’t there yet. The current situation is that until cases get to a low enough level and/or until we reach a high enough vaccination level we continue to require unvaccinated people to wear masks and distance. There’s no reason a fully vaccinated person should have to continue to wear a mask since they are not a threat to spread Covid. That’s why there‘s talk of proof of vaccination and why mask mandates haven’t ended. If we reach the target of 70% of adults vaccinated by July 4th and there isn’t some variant driven spike in cases somewhere I think we will hit a level below 5 cases per 100,000 and possibly even under 3. I think then Biden and the CDC will pull the trigger on CDC dropping all Covid restriction recommendations.

Jrb1979

Months ago the stat that was thrown out by Fauci was a sustained drop to under 3 cases per 100,000 people nationally before we drop masks and distancing for everyone. Things are looking great right now (about 7.5 cases per 100,000) but we still aren’t there yet. The current situation is that until cases get to a low enough level and/or until we reach a high enough vaccination level we continue to require unvaccinated people to wear masks and distance. There’s no reason a fully vaccinated person should have to continue to wear a mask since they are not a threat to spread Covid. That’s why there‘s talk of proof of vaccination and why mask mandates haven’t ended. If we reach the target of 70% of adults vaccinated by July 4th and there isn’t some variant driven spike in cases somewhere I think we will hit a level below 5 cases per 100,000 and possibly even under 3. I think then Biden and the CDC will pull the trigger on CDC dropping all Covid restriction recommendations.
I don't think cases being low should be enough. Vaccination rates should be included too.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I'm scared about variant spike soon....is really gonna happen soon...😱

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think cases being low should be enough. Vaccination rates should be included too.
Vaccinations drive case numbers down. That’s the whole game. We don’t know what level of vaccination is needed to drive cases low enough so it’s an either or. If we reach 70% vaccinated and cases are say below 5 per 100,000 and still trending down I think that gets it done. If cases drop below 3 per 100,000 in a few weeks time and stay there for a week or 2 I think they also pull the trigger on removing restrictions even if we haven’t gotten to 70% vaccinated yet.

Jrb1979

Vaccinations drive case numbers down. That’s the whole game. We don’t know what level of vaccination is needed to drive cases low enough so it’s an either or. If we reach 70% vaccinated and cases are say below 5 per 100,000 and still trending down I think that gets it done. If cases drop below 3 per 100,000 in a few weeks time and stay there for a week or 2 I think they also pull the trigger on removing restrictions even if we haven’t gotten to 70% vaccinated yet.
That plan has good chance to fail. You need a high percentage vaccinated keep Covid numbers down. Again it feels like good enough is enough.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That plan has good chance to fail. You need a high percentage vaccinated keep Covid numbers down. Again it feels like good enough is enough.
Why wouldn’t good enough be enough? You keep saying that like it’s a bad thing. No offense, but I will take the estimates and recommendations of actual experts like Fauci who are giving their educated opinions or look at real life examples in other countries. How is Israel doing with 60% of their population vaccinated with 1 shot?

ImperfectPixie

Why wouldn’t good enough be enough? You keep saying that like it’s a bad thing. No offense, but I will take the estimates and recommendations of actual experts like Fauci who are giving their educated opinions or look at real life examples in other countries. How is Israel doing with 60% of their population vaccinated with 1 shot?
Perhaps because "good enough" has a tendency to come back and bite you in the butt later.

Epcotbob

Bingo! Data driven based on what’s actually happening. We know vaccines help drive that number down, but vaccination rate is only one metric and I don’t think we should obsess over it if it looks like things are trending the right way and continue doing so.

It’s possible a significant amount of the non vaxxed already had covid and are not planning to get the vaccine, so the antibody effect is likely a factor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom