Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think a lot of "marketing" damage was done when the message was after you get vaccinated you still have to follow the same mitigation measures.

It did two things. To some people it sent a message that the vaccines don't work and to others it sent a message that told them why bother because nothing changes for you anyway.

This combined with the J&J pause hurt momentum (the J&J pause being the bigger factor). Hopefully the bad marketing can be reversed and we get back to 20% refusing vaccination and the other 80% getting vaccinated ASAP.

Even at the current level and pace of vaccinations and with many States dropping mitigation, daily cases are dropping rapidly and it looks like the seven day moving average will soon be lower than it was when the whole country was mitigating in April of 2020.
It’s time for the people moaning and crying about not getting the vaccine because they still had to follow the rules afterward to strap on their big boy pants and get the shot. IMHO I think a lot of the people saying that was the reason were already vaccinated (including you) and just didn’t want to have to wear a mask anymore. I think most of the people who were still going to get vaccinated but hadn’t yet we’re just indifferent and were not in a hurry. Hopefully some are motivated now to go in sooner but they would have to actually care about being in compliance with the technical rules since they don‘t actually need to be vaccinated to go to Walmart or outside at WDW without a mask.

Basically not much changes in what you can actually do after you get vaccinated today other than being in compliance with CDC recommendations and I’m not sure how many people who weren’t already vaccinated care about that.

Incomudro

I suppose. Maybe the better question is just given the choice, wouldn’t you rather not get sick??
Yes, but arguably - covid is a disease that is at its biggest threat to older people, and people in poor physical condition.
Yes, there are exceptions - but, by and large that's the truth.
I'd still rather be vaccinated (as I am) just in case, and to contribute to herd immunity.
But there is always going to be some segment of the population that makes a calculation for themselves where they conclude otherwise.

drizgirl

I suppose. Maybe the better question is just given the choice, wouldn’t you rather not get sick??
I would also rather not die in a car crash. But I drive almost every day anyway.

It's a matter of risk tolerance. Everyone's calculus on this is different. We needed requirements through the worst of this, but now that the tools are out there to protect ourselves, it's time to turn it back to individual decision making.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But why would the CDC fall for a ploy?
What the CDC put out there is 100% backed by science. The administration ultimately supported releasing that knowing that it would effectively remove mask mandates in most situations (which it has). The science firmly supports that anyone fully vaccinated shouldn't have to wear a mask. It does not support dropping masks and distancing in all indoor settings today for everyone when less than half of Americans have even one shot and our daily death rate is still the equivalent of 225,000 deaths a year. The CDC didn’t fall for a ploy and neither did the administration. They knew this change would result in the dropping of the mandates and they took the gamble that it’s not too soon. I hope it works out. I think it will.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would also rather not die in a car crash. But I drive almost every day anyway.

It's a matter of risk tolerance. Everyone's calculus on this is different. We needed requirements through the worst of this, but now that the tools are out there to protect ourselves, it's time to turn it back to individual decision making.
I’m pretty much with you on this. I just think they maybe jumped the gun by a few weeks or a month.

MrMcDuck

I told my Qanom sister (who last year told me that Christy Tiegen was molesting little girls, that Wayfair was selling kids in giant cabinets, and that Tom Hanks drinks kid blood), why would doctors advise you to get the shot, and also take the shot themselves, if they were bad?

I dont see why doctors would inject themselves with nanobot trackers that also make you infertile and cause you to shed the virus, willingly.

Qanon opposition to vaccines is an extra level of weird because Trump himself not only got vaccinated back in January (albeit in private), but also openly encouraged people to get it a few months ago.

correcaminos

Qanon opposition to vaccines is an extra level of weird because Trump himself not only got vaccinated back in January (albeit in private), but also openly encouraged people to get it a few months ago.
Sorta openly... mentioning choices. Doing it in private just fueled it as was the choice comment. Some don't even believe he was really vaccinated. That's how conspiracy some are.

MrMcDuck

Sorta openly... mentioning choices. Doing it in private just fueled it as was the choice comment. Some don't even believe he was really vaccinated. That's how conspiracy some are.

“I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it, and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly,” he said during a Fox News InterviewTuesday night.

“We have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also,” he said. “But it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine, and it is something that works.”

That's pretty strong for Trump.

correcaminos

“I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it, and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly,” he said during a Fox News InterviewTuesday night.

“We have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also,” he said. “But it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine, and it is something that works.”

That's pretty strong for Trump.
You totally left out the part I am speaking of edit to clarify: the below was glossed over.

"But again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also."

Whole quote was

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly. But again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also. But it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine and it is something that works."

Conspiracy people read the center part and think "yep he's telling us not to"

Last edited:

MrMcDuck

You totally left out the part I am speaking of

"But again," he continued, "we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also."

Whole quote was

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly. But again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also. But it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine and it is something that works."

Conspiracy people read the center part and think "yep he's telling us not to"

Excuse me? Might want to read my post again. I included that part in there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s just about opportunity for control. A group like that has no actual belief system or platform to speak of. It’s just seeing an opportunity to recruit new members and brain wash them. They see people passionately opposed to the vaccine and see an opportunity to align themselves with them and potentially pick up new sheep. I don’t think it has anything to do with Trump one way or the other.

MrMcDuck

Hey calm down. What I meant was you missed focus on that part. No need to get defensive. I wanted to focus on that.

You said I left it out and then said the "whole quote" is despite having quoted the same thing. You obviously misread my post.

Edit: OK, you've edited the above. Apologies. Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

MrMcDuck

It’s just about opportunity for control. A group like that has no actual belief system or platform to speak of. It’s just seeing an opportunity to recruit new members and brain wash them. They see people passionately opposed to the vaccine and see an opportunity to align themselves with them and potentially pick up new sheep. I don’t think it has anything to do with Trump one way or the other.

True.

correcaminos

You said I left it out and then said the "whole quote" is despite having quoted the same thing. You obviously misread my post
Oh my goodness! I am busy doing two things at once doing work on a Sunday for a show and I messed up. For goodness sake this isn't something that was intentional. I apologized and honestly you still are missing the part that matters.

I put the whole quote as written so people would understand that what was sandwiched was what was read. Sorry if I offended you on that, but it wasn't my intent. The intent was the whole quote was there and conspiracy crazies only read the center. I'm rather busy and dyslexic so often I mess up. What's in my brain doesn't match always what I write. I edit to clarify,

Now that I feel I've had to over explain myself and totally derailed the point, I hope you see the point. They didn't care what the first and last said. Their choice for freedoms and crap fed into the idea they shouldn't do it. Along with thinking he really didn't vaccinate

Heppenheimer

There's also the social media aspect as well.

Again, I'm not sure why people don't talk to their doctors. When people say they won't get a vaccine, I rarely hear that it's due to their convo with their doctor... its because Yoga Pants mom who gave her a recipe for a coffee ground enema said they will make you infertile.
One slight problem, though... most people only see their doctor once or twice a year (and truly, unless they have a specific complaint to address, most don't need to any more often).

I've been trying to talk to all my patients about the vaccine as I see them for their regular check-ups. Most of them, though, have already decided- they're already vaccinated by the time I see them, or they were just waiting for their age group to become available. A much smaller minority have specific concerns that they wanted allayed, and an even smaller number just refuse no matter what I say.

I suspect the majority of the refuseniks don't regularly see a medical provider.

DC0703

I also tell people to READ their news...don't watch it on TV.
Regarding the pandemic and vaccines, I have been advising hesitant people to avoid the news all together and speak to their doctor. That's a person who knows their medical history and may hopefully give them some unbiased information that they will trust.

Edit: just read Heppenheimer's post - that's a good point about the infrequency of doctor visits and lack of trust there as well. I have had some luck using the "speak to your doctor" approach with some people that aren't too far gone with the conspiracy theories.

correcaminos

One slight problem, though... most people only see their doctor once or twice a year (and truly, unless they have a specific complaint to address, most don't need to any more often).

I've been trying to talk to all my patients about the vaccine as I see them for their regular check-ups. Most of them, though, have already decided- they're already vaccinated by the time I see them, or they were just waiting for their age group to become available. A much smaller minority have specific concerns that they wanted allayed, and an even smaller number just refuse no matter what I say.

I suspect the majority of the refuseniks don't regularly see a medical provider.
Or possibly see anyone who supports their theories. I've posted about an anti-vax enabling doctor who is seriously nuts. Been key at giving the conspiracy theorists info to support their claims and using it when they storm the schools demanding changes... all from a well known medical professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom