Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
It should be the opposite: Enforce vaccine passports. Make the unvaccinated stay home, if they are scared of getting the vaccine.
Not sure how it was for others when getting vaxed in their state, but I'm now registered in NC Health and Human Resources database since I provided my SSN and my health provider was notified when I got vaxed too since I had to share my health insurance info.

This may sound crazy, but why have passports when they can simply check the HHS database? Disney can run a program to check each guest, If I am vaccinated, WDW doesn't have to advise me to wear a mask or get vaccinated. But If I don't show up on the HHS database then I get flagged and advised to mask it or vax it.

Chi84

Premium Member
*This is where someone will chime in and say “but vaccinated people can still pass along the virus!”
That was never the case, and I'm glad the CDC site has changed its wording to get rid of that notion. (At one point, I think they said it was possible but they did not know.) From the very start, the scientists who developed the vaccine stated that there was no universe in which a vaccine 95% effective at preventing illness did not also drastically reduce transmission. They just couldn't say it because the trials were not designed to measure it. Real world data has now proved that vaccinated people are not making others sick. The very, very few people who experienced breakthrough cases had much lower viral loads. That's why we can stop wearing masks.

LaughingGravy

. Even if stores and other businesses have mask mandates, there will be those idiots starting trouble..."Your great CDC said I don't have to wear a mask, and you can't make me...that's the federal gov't which overrides state." . Fights and all kinds of other crap will start up even more now.

Our family is all vaccinated, so I feel much better, but even here in NJ, where we are getting better, there's gonna be a ton of trouble, just starting with comments and looks from people to those who wear a mask. Southern NJ is the bigger problem.
In NJ, the mask mandate has not been lifted for indoors in public.
For the most part, it's been OK, but this is NJ with a lot of people with attitudes about masks before, that the numbers are fake, etc, especially if they don't know someone directly who has been seriously affected. Somehow, third party accounts mean nothing. A lot know someone who had it and went through it, but they think that since their friends or whoever went through it without death or hospitalization, that it's not a big deal, "just another flu".

Now, they will see this as their mandate to not wear a mask, when that's not what it is.
NJ currently requires all people to wear masks indoors in public and outdoors in public when you can’t socially distance, but people have been flouting it with no consequences. The socially distancing outside is easy.

We are still staying away from most people, except for those we know, because we know them to be honest, who have been vaccinated.

Last edited by a moderator:

havoc315

Not sure how it was for others when getting vaxed in their state, but I'm now registered in NC Health and Human Resources database since I provided my SSN and my health provider was notified when I got vaxed too since I had to share my health insurance info.

This may sound crazy, but why have passports when they can simply check the HHS database? Disney can run a program to check each guest, If I am vaccinated, WDW doesn't have to advise me to wear a mask or get vaccinated. But If I don't show up on the HHS database then I get flagged and advised to mask it or vax it.

I'm using "passports" as a catch-all term for vaccine verification. Whether it be a CDC card, a digital passport, or simple database confirmation.

Checking a centralized database would be simplest for anything you can limit to pre-reservations. Cruises and airlines being the best examples, where the database can be checked prior to your arrival. Harder for movie theaters, theme parks, etc, which deal with walk-up guests.

Incomudro

Actually, no.... the Covid children deaths have not shown association with "serious conditions."

Yes, the number is very small. But not smaller than the flu.
So they were all healthy kids?
Not overweight kids, or kids with any number of unfortunate serious conditions that children sometimes have?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
We are #$%^ed, again. Even if stores and other businesses have mask mandates, there will be those idiots starting trouble..."Your great CDC said I don't have to wear a mask, and you can't make me...that's the federal gov't which overrides state." . Fights and all kinds of other crap will start up even more now.

Our family is all vaccinated, so I feel much better, but even here in NJ, where we are getting better, there's gonna be a ton of trouble, just starting with comments and looks from people to those who wear a mask. In NJ, the mask mandate has not been lifted for indoors. For the most part, it's been OK, but this is NJ with a lot of people with attitudes about masks before, that the numbers are fake, etc. Now, they will see it as their mandate to not wear one, when that's not what it is.
NJ currently requires all people to wear masks indoors in public and outdoors in public when you can’t socially distance, but people have been flouting it with no consequences. The socially distancing outside is easy.

We are still staying away from most people, except for those we know, because we know them to be honest, who have been vaccinated.
Yup. Let's see how things Spike the Bee, I mean play out this summer. Oh well, Broadway still isn't reopening in July so, there's that.

bryanfze55

Actually, we have seen Covid is season, just like flu.

In fact, the spike periods of Covid, throughout the world, have mostly coincided with when you'd expect flu spikes.

While Covid is very different than the flu, they share the same seasonality pattern.
That’s true, it follows patterns but I mostly meant that community transmission was still relatively high last summer - compared to the flu, at least. Flu is nearly nonexistent in warmer months while COVID certainly was still a presence. I feel you’re trying to argue a technicality when you know, at worst, the death rate for children is equal between the two. COVID is also a multitude more transmissible than the flu, which explains higher death toll.

correcaminos

Whoever wrote that article for Politifact isn't very good at math:

"But for children 14 and younger, the spokesperson said, Florida’s COVID-19 mortality rate is 0.009%, far below the 0.01% for flu for that age group."

Do they realize that 0.009 is not "far below" 0.01? .009 is only .001 below .01. In fact, the numbers are so close, you're talking about margin of error.

It's also very outdated -- a snapshot from early in the pandemic, when kids were being kept home from school, and when testing was just starting to ramp up. We have much better information now.

Fact is, over the pandemic, in children, there have been more Covid deaths than flu deaths. Those are the facts:

(287 Covid deaths vs 182 flu deaths).
On average flu years the numbers are very close. Some better some worse. I look at numbers to see risks for school activities personally. I have more years of flu than covid to look at. To me .009% vs .01% is a smaller difference and makes me view them roughly as the same. Which is why we chose to continue with our June trip. All adults going are fully vaccinated in our group and now my 13yo will have enough time and both doses prior to going to make it a nearly 0 risk choice. Before not that they are the same diseases but looking at risks for both using averages for a kid my own's age, I see them as close enough.

Now I'm still in favor for masking kids for a while still to reach a few more for vaccination, but not for much longer. My own won't be relevant in about a month's time.

sullyinMT

Co-worker's sister at a Target this morning in NY. People weren't wearing masks. Employees told them to put their masks on. Customers said no, citing the CDC. Employees said NY hadn't lifted any restrictions yet. Customers argued.

Color me SURPRISED.
Target over yonder was still enforcing masks? Not just the soapbox sign, but actually enforcing? Huh - must have been nice.
Welcome to Montana and why I’ve become increasingly frustrated and angry with people.

Chi84

Premium Member
We are #$%^ed, again. Even if stores and other businesses have mask mandates, there will be those idiots starting trouble..."Your great CDC said I don't have to wear a mask, and you can't make me...that's the federal gov't which overrides state." . Fights and all kinds of other crap will start up even more now.

Our family is all vaccinated, so I feel much better, but even here in NJ, where we are getting better, there's gonna be a ton of trouble, just starting with comments and looks from people to those who wear a mask. In NJ, the mask mandate has not been lifted for indoors. For the most part, it's been OK, but this is NJ with a lot of people with attitudes about masks before, that the numbers are fake, etc. Now, they will see it as their mandate to not wear one, when that's not what it is.

I don't think the indoor mask mandates are going to last much longer, which could explain why the CDC is not so concerned with enforcement.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Target over yonder was still enforcing masks? Not just the soapbox sign, but actually enforcing? Huh - must have been nice.
Welcome to Montana and why I’ve become increasingly frustrated and angry with people.
NYC is equal to the combined populations of Vermont, Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and West Virginia. So, it's close quarters here - and yes, things have been enforced and were going swimmingly until yesterday.

havoc315

So they were all healthy kids?
Not overweight kids, or kids with any number of unfortunate serious conditions that children sometimes have?

All? I don't know about all. And being overweight is not exactly a "serious condition" -- except to the extent that most Americans have a serious condition.

I know that youth deaths from Covid has not shown a major correlation to "serious" comorbidities.

ElvisMickey

CNBC just had a segment on about the companies who are still sticking with the mask mandate, Target and UPS being two of many that they covered. Regardless of your views on masks, the CDC said what it said and unless these businesses want a s**t storm at their locations everyday, they're going to have to get with the program sooner or later. You already had blowback from people not wanting to wear masks over the last year and half. It's only going to get worse.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
CNBC just had a segment on about the companies who are still sticking with the mask mandate, Target and UPS being two of many that they covered. Regardless of your views on masks, the CDC said what it said and unless these businesses want a s**t storm at their locations everyday, they're going to have to get with the program sooner or later. You already had blowback from people not wanting to wear masks over the last year and half. It's only going to get worse.
We were doing just fine here. If people were having blowbacks in Arkansas, great. If tough guys in the Bronx have managed to follow the rules, forgive me for expecting better from the rest of the country.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Is there a reference for this? The same 2 weeks is what I've read, and I got the J&J.

"This decision was based in part on the totality of scientific evidence, including data from the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE study that demonstrated the vaccine was 66.1 percent effective in preventing moderate to severe/critical disease and 85 percent effective in preventing severe/critical disease across all regions studied, 28 days post-vaccination. The vaccine showed protection against COVID-19 related hospitalization and death, beginning 28 days after vaccination."

MrMcDuck

Yes, there is a seasonal angle to COVID-19, so we would naturally expect a decrease during the summer and a spike during this coming winter with a new variant likely being dominant. Now, the vaccines have been decent at reducing severe disease (what we really care about) in other variants (and they will develop new vaccines to help even further), but there will be a significant section of the public that remains entirely unvaccinated, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a problem for hospitals again. But I think trying to enforce masks again is going to be very difficult. The USA is an interesting place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom