Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

Why would you assume they gave it no thought? Maybe they just concluded that under current conditions, masks don’t provide much protection and implementation isn’t that critical. The CDC obviously is aware of the people you mentioned. Maybe their data is leading to a removal of all mandates soon and they are just being cautious.
But that was my point in relation to Hershey as well. They were quick to make the change, but don’t have the answers re: HOW.

Same for CDC. Where is the HOW? States are all over the places with what they can/can’t do or will/won’t allow.

It’s as if the plan was:
Ready...Fire...Aim.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But in theory, isn’t that exactly what the CDC did? Made a sudden change to guidance with NO FORETHOUGHT as to how it would be implemented (given vaccine percentage, lack of vaccine passport, kids under 12 unable to vaccinated)?
Not really the same. The CDC recommendations aren’t rules that are implemented they are guidelines a state or business use to set their own policies. My issue is with Hershey Park changing their policy on the fly without saying what the change actually is less than 24 hours before it goes into effect. It’s poor customer service.

drizgirl

But that was my point in relation to Hershey as well. They were quick to make the change, but don’t have the answers re: HOW.

Same for CDC. Where is the HOW? States are all over the places with what they can/can’t do or will/won’t allow.

It’s as if the plan was:
Ready...Fire...Aim.
After as long as this has gone on, I wonder why.

Willmark

Different circumstances,I admit but New Zealand and Australia are.
New Zealand? You mean a (relatively) isolated country which has a population lower than the greater NYC area and ennanced a near total quarantine/lock down? That was never flying here let alone at theme parks :)

GaBoy

Why would you assume they gave it no thought? Maybe they just concluded that under current conditions, masks don’t provide much protection and implementation isn’t that critical. The CDC obviously is aware of the people you mentioned. Maybe their data is leading to a removal of all mandates soon and they are just being cautious.
What do you want to bet they have modeled this thing to death. They have estimated the amount that will be hospitalized or pass away, the amount that this will actually push toward vaccination because a certain amount are lazy but not dishonest, the amount that would lie and never vaccinate regardless and couple that with all the data on vaccinated transmission. They rolled all this up in a policy that hits all the high points and starts pushing the point that at some point the public will have to self assess.
Edit... I used the word "point" a lot. Sorry. But you get the point.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

I acknowledged different circumstances but have to ask why couldn’t it have been done?
Because Americans aren’t particularly good at following directions.

But also worth noting NZ and Australia are the exception rather than the rule. Western Europe has had nearly just as much trouble as the US in containing this virus, at least on a per capita basis.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I was going to mention following the science as well. I think that is really important and we have heard that message frequently during this ordeal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So many strong feelings on this. Are we following the science or aren’t we?
The science is pretty indisputable. If you are fully vaccinated you are at a very low risk of catching Covid and as a result very low risk to spread it. Masks are worn to stop the spread of covid. A fully vaccinated person is very low risk to spread Covid so they don’t need to wear a mask.

Where the controversy comes in is if you are at a large public venue how do you know who is vaccinated? The science is very clear on fully vaccinated people but there is no change in the recomemdation or the science on unvaccinated people. So a policy decision is needed to either police who is vaccinated and who isn’t (difficult) or decide whether to just assume nobody is vaccinated or assume everyone is vaccinated. That has not much to do with science anymore. It’s a policy decision.

acup313

That being said, American companies created the vaccines that will bring the world out of this pandemic. It’s worth fawning over Australia and NZ for halting circulation of the virus in their own nations - but what our country did will have a far greater world impact. Surely we get a bit of credit.
I mean I don't think America should take all the credit here. The Pfizer vaccine was developed by a German company, and there are other vaccines being used in other countries that were developed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom