Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

orky8

In Florida, vaccines weren't even opened up to the under 40 crowd until April 5th. Even if a person got Pfizer that very day, they'd just barely be past the two week period after the second shot. And if they got moderna, they're still not officially fully vaccinated. We really are just rushing full speed ahead. And the message everyone will receive is 'masks are done'. Sad.

Yes, but Pfizer/Moderna are both more effective after 2 weeks from the first dose, than J&J. So, I dunno... The two weeks after the second dose was itself ultra conservative. I think the part that's more glossed over is kids can't be vaccinated yet, but at the same time, the flu is more dangerous for the 11 and under crowd, so I can also understand that it's just time to move on.

I do wish we could force the unvaccinated adult population to wear bright scarlet masks (with the extremely rare exception of those with a medical reason).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Come on, he didn't say staffing was at 80% of what it was previously. He essentially said that of the furloughed employees, 80% had accepted Disney's offer to return to work. They could still be (and likely are) filling those positions with external hires.
Don’t forget that right now 7,000+ hotel rooms are out of service that’s roughly 20% of Disney rooms. So they only need staff for 80% of the remaining rooms. That also spills over to bus drivers and dining at the resorts and other ancillary jobs related to the resorts. The park hours are also down compared to 2019. Maybe not quite 20% down but when you factor in no EMHs it’s probably close to that. Less hours means less staff needed. There’s also no night entertainment right now and no parades and some theaters missing as well. When you factor all that in 80% of the workforce returned seems about right. They also brought the college program back starting in June to supplement the workforce.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think they've been waiting on this crack to form and its full steam ahead.💰

Unless there is a massive level of incompetence in their management, I would have to think this was planned. How can you roll out a new policy like this 18 hours before the gates open?

Willmark

It is actually a problem for those who can't get vaccinated and children under 12 at risk who also currently can not be vaccinated. People choosing to remain unvaccinated are creating a public health risk to others in our society
Note just general musings:
it’s also not your business if some don’t choose to be vaccinated, unless you advocate mandatory ones which opens up a whole host of legal issues.

The entire mask mandate (and bear in mine I wore mine as required) was on shaky ground when the federal government did their “masks aren’t required” then flipped to the placebo effect of “they are required” only when manufacturers had enough supply last spring. People can argue the merits of that all they want but it’s a fact.

In short it was never about much other than the masses feeling like like they had some measure of control when in reality there was none.

Im not even going to go down the rabbit hold of reducing spread because that’s not even my point, my point is in terms of protecting an individual? Unless one is wearing a positive pressure SCBA you weren’t protected.

And to reiterate I’m not talking about community spread.

Lastly, I’m not surprised at the reactions here. This has been made out to be the “end of the world” when it’s… not.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

OK, here's where I am on this. (Hint: pretty much the same as yesterday.)

I come at this as: (#1) a high-risk individual with a high-risk spouse, both fully vaccinated + 2 weeks++ and (#2) a small business owner with some responsibility for the outcomes of my staff (several of whom are high risk, and at various stages of vaccination) and my customers (presumably the same.) Our county is about 35% fully vaccinated and 46% first dose. We get regular foot traffic from two other counties with similar statistics.

When I say small business, I mean it's not uncommon to find an employee there alone. Naturally, they have never had to wear a mask in that case. Some have chosen to do so rather than take it off and on. It's also not uncommon to see just one employee with one customer or party at a time. That situation currently requires everyone to be masked. Those two scenarios probably take up half the hours in a typical weekday.

The problem I have with the new CDC guidance is our Governor prohibited "vaccine passports." Therefore, there is no way to tell who is actually vaccinated, and who is just an anti-mask, anti-vax nut job who wants to push boundaries by walking in and saying, "Hey, I'm vaccinated!" (aka lying, without concern for consequences.)

Others here have laid out the potential options. I feel I have no choice in theory but to assume everyone is not vaccinated. That would offer the same experience for every customer. On one level it stinks, because if 2 or more people in the building are all vaccinated, why not take a mask off? So, because of our Governor and fake freedom, we can't do that.

Of course, that's in theory. Reality is we know many of our customers well. We probably know some of their vaccination status from casual chat, or because they are personal facebook friends, etc.

I do not know every employees' status. I know most, again from casual chat, requesting days off to recover, helping them schedule, and in one case, ubering them to the appointment. I know at least two are in-between the first and second shot, and therefore no policy will change until they are both two weeks after their second shot.

Requiring every customer to be vaccinated would be inconsistent with how we have been doing business for the last year.

So would completely dropping mask requirements.

My default policy would seem to be to put no changes in writing and keep our mask signs up. If a conversation happens with a customer and I (or an employee) say, "I'm fully vaccinated, but I'm not allowed to ask a customer's status," and the customer voluntarily shows me their completed vaccine card dated more than two weeks ago, then we can both remove our masks if they want to...until another customer walks in.

At a place like Disney, that would be impossible. At a little hole-in-the-wall place, not really. Issues: Busy days like weekends would be an inconsistent experience for someone who had just come in on Wednesday. And whiny babies, "Hey, you let so and so in without a mask..."

We have already done before and after hours private shopping for folks who are immuno-compromised or just generally jittery. I've considered doing maskless before and after hours private shopping on the other end of the spectrum, but that would seem almost moot at this point.

There's no easy answer, and that's because of leadership across the board, past and present.
Now some will call you part of the doom and gloom club but you layed out exactly what the problems will be for hundreds of thousands small businesses. With no passport you will have a lot of continued screaming from people saying they are vaccinated and they have the right to be maskless and why isn’t your business opening up.
Great post in laying out the issues small businesses will have.
My small business is not brick and mortar so I feel for you. I agree, best way is to assume everyone is not vaccinated and keep the masks in place. Your employee’s are most important to keep safe then it goes from there.

GaBoy

Unless there is a massive level of incompetence in their management, I would have to think this was planned. How can you roll out a new policy like this 18 hours before the gates open?
Oh yes. This announcement has been sitting in a folder waiting for this CDC announcement with a dozen other scenarios. Not doing so would be incompetence. The company I work for has had a responsible reentry plan in place since last June. Largely useless at this point. I'm headed back to the office Monday full time. Self imposed before my wife and I kill each other.

Polkadotdress

That’s fair, but I think they owe it to their guests to at least spell out what the new rules are. It’s poor to make a change as a banner on the top of the home page with no details and say it’s effective immediately.
But in theory, isn’t that exactly what the CDC did? Made a sudden change to guidance with NO FORETHOUGHT as to how it would be implemented (given vaccine percentage, lack of vaccine passport, kids under 12 unable to vaccinated)?

Chi84

Premium Member
But in theory, isn’t that exactly what the CDC did? Made a sudden change to guidance with NO FORETHOUGHT as to how it would be implemented (given vaccine percentage, lack of vaccine passport, kids under 12 unable to vaccinated)?
Why would you assume they gave it no thought? Maybe they just concluded that under current conditions, masks don’t provide much protection and implementation isn’t that critical. The CDC obviously is aware of the people you mentioned. Maybe their data is leading to a removal of all mandates soon and they are just being cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom