Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why do you think that businesses need to care one way or the other if the state or local government has decided on a course of action? I just don't understand why you keep mentioning that businesses need to check. Makes no sense at all.

For my state:

EFFECTIVE SATURDAY, MAY 15:

• INDOOR AND OUTDOOR VENUES. Indoor and outdoor venues may resume normal operations. All remaining capacity restrictions will be lifted on all indoor entertainment venues and conventions, and all outdoor entertainment, art, and sports venues, including all ticketed events.
  • INDOOR AND OUTDOOR DINING. Restaurants and bars may resume normal operations, as all remaining capacity and distancing restrictions and all other limits will be lifted on indoor and outdoor dining.
  • CRUISE TERMINAL. The cruise terminal in Baltimore City will be reopening. The CDC is working directly with cruise ports and industry representatives to prepare for a safe return to business.
  • INDOOR MASK MANDATE TO EXPIRE AFTER THE STATE ACHIEVES 70% OF MARYLAND ADULTS VACCINATED. The governor announced that the state’s indoor mask mandate will be lifted as soon as 70% of Maryland adults receive at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine—the national goal set by President Biden. Yesterday, the state officially surpassed the milestone of vaccinating more than 65% of adults.

My point it, if a state still has a mask mandate for business, like your's does, then they can't take advantage the new CDC guidelines and allow people into a store without a mask unless they can verify that they are vaccinated.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Because not all state and local governments have removed mask mandates. Do if the state wants to allow vaccinated people to go massless, it would require businesses to verify people's vaccination status.
Well, I really don't care about any other state right now, as we won't be traveling for months. If any state says that mask mandates have been removed, then any local business can either go with that or continue to require masks for everyone. And if the state removes them, how many people do really think are going to want to wear one in a store?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, I really don't care about any other state right now, as we won't be traveling for months. If any state says that mask mandates have been removed, then any local business can either go with that or continue to require masks for everyone. And if the state removes them, how many people do really think are going to want to wear one in a store?

But what about your state, you still have a mask mandate as you just posted? My point is, the new guidance doesn't change much. Either a state allows everyone to go maskless in a store or no one.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
My point it, if a state still has a mask mandate for business, like your's does, then they can't take advantage the new CDC guidelines and allow people into a store without a mask unless they can verify that they are vaccinated.
Yes, my state still has an indoor mask mandate until we reach 70%, so yes, businesses will still require them for now. I didn't think I was stating anything different, just that once all mandates are removed (maybe by Memorial Day - maybe sooner), that businesses will have no reason to require them either.

mmascari

No, but this sets up Disney and other national chains to implement a dropping of the mask requirements when a certain percent of the population is vaccinated. So we will never know who or how many people are vaccinated. If a large enough percentage of people are vaccinated that triggers the rule to assume everyone is. Until you reach the target percent you assume not enough are vaccinated so everyone wears a mask and does some distancing.
That sounds rational, but weren't we already headed there?

So far, this doesn't read like that. I still dislike any guidance that treats vaccinated and unvaccinated differently when they're in the same place without any assurance about who is vaccinated.

When I read "The new guidance will also no longer recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks outdoors in crowds.", I don't see that as "unvaccinated will still wear masks in a crowd". I read it as "nobody in a crowd will wear a mask".

Which means, in a crowded location, with my 11 year old wearing a mask, there's no idea if the people crowded around them are vaccinated or not and if not infectious. Clearly, the answer is, don't take them there. It'll be a personal decision if the defense of wearing a mask is enough without also having the source control protection at the same time. Today, the risk assumption is still that the unmasked person walking towards us is both unvaccinated and infectious. They're probably not, but the impact of being wrong is significant enough to error on the side of caution. It'll be better soon, but I don't think we're there yet.

The graphs are all going down. No question, we're headed in the right direction. The only question is, is the vaccinated level that exists today enough to keep up that trend. Does removing all the other mitigations cause the downward trend to stop and flatten out. Nobody wins if it flattens out to early.

sullyinMT

I’m really, truly, excited for the nation as a whole. I’m excited for a normal vacation in October, whichever of the 3 we pull the final trigger on.

Locally this will be a bigger cluster than it already is.

Oh, well. Glass 3/4 full and my immediate family will essentially be at herd immunity by 6/17!

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

So far, this doesn't read like that. I still dislike any guidance that treats vaccinated and unvaccinated differently when they're in the same place without any assurance about who is vaccinated.

When I read "The new guidance will also no longer recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks outdoors in crowds.", I don't see that as "unvaccinated will still wear masks in a crowd". I read it as "nobody in a crowd will wear a mask".

That's what perplexes me as well. It's basically going to be an "honour system" in some cases, and we can guess how that will work.

It puts people who can't get vaccinated yet or are still waiting in a bit of an unfair position, where they're at the mercy of people who haven't been vaccinated to follow the rules.

Hopefully it will be a short period of uncertainly. It should be almost at the point where it's more of a personal choice whether or not to venture into crowds unvaccinated or not. Really, at this point anyone planning a trip to WDW or wherever should have the sense to do so post-vaccination.

hopemax

I’m really, truly, excited for the nation as a whole. I’m excited for a normal vacation in October, whichever of the 3 we pull the final trigger on.

I also know, locally, this probably means a spike at some level and a month or two of long hours at salary pay again.

Oh, well. Glass 3/4 full and my immediate family will essentially be at herd immunity by 6/17!
Extra work and extra money for Christmas. Unless, after a summer of freedom, people will buckle down if we need to, to see what winter looks like.

Figgy1

Premium Member
This should be a fun thread to watch.
deer popcorn GIF
Did you buy any futures?

Communicora

Premium Member

sullyinMT

Extra work and extra money for Christmas. Unless, after a summer of freedom, people will buckle down if we need to, to see what winter looks like.
Nope, salary. I even said a spike locally might scare people to the pharmacy, so it would be my own bed.
We have plenty of capacity statewide, but I think even the people who were hanging on to doing the sensible thing around here will quickly disappear.

Grumpy4196

I think most people are missing the point here. Just because the CDC or a State Government rescinds a mandate doesn't mean local businesses will follow through just yet. They are going to do what they think is necessary to protect their employees as well as their reputation. No one wants to see their business splashed across the front page with headlines about being the source of an outbreak. And YES I am glad we are closer than we were to being back to normal.

Patcheslee

Agreed. In a simple example if a factory or warehouse tells their workers that they are now following the CDC guidelines and no longer requiring masks for fully vaccinated workers I guarantee 99% get the vaccine (or buy a fake vaccination card;)). I worked one Summer in a hot warehouse loading trucks and I can tell you that must be absolutely miserable while wearing a mask. Easy decision.
My work was citing the CDC recommendations for why we had to wear masks. There's an internal company forum that has gotten a bit ehh, argumentative with the requirement as is. This will definitely put the company at either having to, keep following CDC or choose another path. But we still don't even have our cafeteria open because people would have to line up, and exchange cash. Still no coffee machines allowed to dispense, last week we finally got our touchless water fountains back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom