Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why is this a thing? Why do people need an extra incentive to get a vaccine that prevents a disease that could hospitalize or kill oneself?

Maybe this makes sense, but my cynical side wonders if this will just delay vaccine uptake. I mean, why get it now and get a free train ticket? If I hold out for a month or three maybe I'll get even better incentives...

Because a lot of people just don't see it as a threat.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
CA still on track to drop all Covid restrictions (including capacity limits on theme parks) by June 15. Governor says mask mandate will be gone by then too. Good news for DLR as they could be open to out of state visitors again and without distancing or mask requirements. 👍🥳🎉😎

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the variant front, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines still effective vs the new Indian variant. Although the variant is more resistant to the antibodies from the vaccine they were still able to neutralize the virus.

correcaminos

On the variant front, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines still effective vs the new Indian variant. Although the variant is more resistant to the antibodies from the vaccine they were still able to neutralize the virus.

I was reading that earlier while waiting the 15 minutes at that clinic and that is promising. I know the vaccines they are using in India aren't what we see here though.

Also to comment about Ohio. The lottery and such is not bad at all to me. So I was not talking about that with my kid being vaccinated. Referring to the mask mandate dropping suddenly though I assume it means our numbers are good since we had a metric earlier to meet to drop. I'll find out more tomorrow I think.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Really good read on why it’s not as simple as assumimg that everyone who hasn’t been vaccinated is openly and actively resisting or hesitant. Quote from the story:

According to a new U.S. census estimate, some 30 million American adults who are open to getting a COVID vaccine have not yet managed to actually do so. Their ranks are larger than the hesitant — more than the 28 million who said they would probably or definitely not get vaccinated, and than the 16 million who said they were unsure.

We are 26M adults short of reaching 70% of adults and there are 30M people who say they are willing to get the vaccine but haven’t gotten around to it yet for various reasons. These people don’t need to be convinced the vaccine is safe or convinced that the virus is a real threat or convinced to change their political leanings. They just need to be convinced to make some time to get the vaccine. This is why the focus is changing on how to get people to come in. As convenient as the vaccines are now they probably need to get even more convenient. It may also pay off to pay these people off. Whether it’s cash incentives, rewards, lottery tickets, etc. Whatever it takes. This is why I’m confident we actually reach 70%+. 👍👍👍

sullyinMT

Really good read on why it’s not as simple as assumimg that everyone who hasn’t been vaccinated is openly and actively resisting or hesitant. Quote from the story:

According to a new U.S. census estimate, some 30 million American adults who are open to getting a COVID vaccine have not yet managed to actually do so. Their ranks are larger than the hesitant — more than the 28 million who said they would probably or definitely not get vaccinated, and than the 16 million who said they were unsure.

We are 26M adults short of reaching 70% of adults and there are 30M people who say they are willing to get the vaccine but haven’t gotten around to it yet for various reasons. These people don’t need to be convinced the vaccine is safe or convinced that the virus is a real threat or convinced to change their political leanings. They just need to be convinced to make some time to get the vaccine. This is why the focus is changing on how to get people to come in. As convenient as the vaccines are now they probably need to get even more convenient. It may also pay off to pay these people off. Whether it’s cash incentives, rewards, lottery tickets, etc. Whatever it takes. This is why I’m confident we actually reach 70%+. 👍👍👍
The payments probably will work. But I’ll copy and paste this one favorite comment from the county clinic’s FB offering $50 to the first 400 people at tomorrow’s walk in (for which my 13yo son will be trying):

“Its actually pretty insulting to think ppl will be more willing to be test rabbits if they get paid - anything for $$ I guess. - even sign away your health...wow - better get on board for that. Dont forget they have you sign a waiver 1st so they dont have to be responsible for any death or side effects.”

There are others not safe for WDWMagic. I wish there was a pill or ointment or something for stupid.

correcaminos

It is a great idea.

I told my kid I’d take him to Chick-fil-A for lunch after the shot....sold 👍 He loves the chicken nuggets 😍
Yeah I felt guilty after my kid had to eat his lunch in the car on the way over (school burger too, fries got cold) since we did not plan this right at all. So I offered a local place that does great strombolis and such for dinner. He took me up on that.

Then again he knew long before, that he was getting it. Even that I would pull him from school if needed. He's pretty good about things.

BuddyThomas

Yes, but those returning June 14th are only those who were cut short.
Yes, new applications are open -- But no arrival date for those has been set. It won't be June 14th.

They already announced Beach Club -- Cape May re-opening. No Yachtsman Steakhouse, no Beaches and Cream.
Of course, they could still announce those at any time. But apparently they are staffing up Cape May, and not those other 2 restaurants currently. They just don't have the staff for it.
I'm hoping a couple more Boardwalk Restaurants open up, but not holding my breath.

Poly won't be until late July.

Let's put it this way, since you're so confident that staffing isn't an issue, do you believe that restaurant availability will be a non-issue by mid June, with virtually all restaurants open and staffed? (maybe just V&A closed).

If you haven't tested the dining availability lately, go and try to schedule a table service reservation 30 days in advance:
June 12, dinner for 4:
There are NO reservations available at any DHS restaurant
There are NO reservations available at any AK restaurant
Hacienda is the ONLY Epcot restaurant with an open reservation (9 pm! Not a single dinner reservation anywhere in Epcot before 9pm)
At Magic Kingdom, the ONLY open reservation is Jungle Navigation. Nothing else.
At the resorts: None of the resort restaurants have any dinner availability except Olivia's Cafe at OKW. None of the Magic Kingdom or Epcot resorts have a single open dinner reservation.

Let's say you wanted to look for dinner TONIGHT. Party of 4, from 5-9pm:
Almost no availability outside of Disney Springs. The only availability outside of Disney Springs is Hacienda, Wave, Trattoria Al Forno, Olivia's and Kona Cafe. Nothing at Magic Kingdom, only 1 choice at Epcot, nothing at DHS, nothing at Animal Kingdom. Only 1 restaurant in the Epcot resorts, only 2 restaurants among the MK resorts.

So what's your prediction: When will they have enough restaurant staffing to even deal with 35% capacity? When will they have enough to deal with more than 35% capacity?
I’m sorry but this does not sound like a fun place to visit right now or in the near future.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
From what I have read, and plan on doing when our park gauntlet starts on Friday... you have to pick your restaurant and mobile ordering time when you enter the park. If you wait until meal time, there may not be a time to select.

So yep, lots of fun.
That wasn’t our experience May 1-8. We ate at Satu’li, Flametree and ABC Commissary and had no problem getting immediate ordering windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom