Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

The Mexican restaurant at EPCOT is up to $1,000 signing bonus. Supply meets demand when you up the price. Simple economics. The first wave of CP arrive June 14 so that helps with labor shortage. Large people eating restaurants coming back family style instead of buffet. Still reduces staffing vs ordering from a menu.
I’d also imagine that family style plus the modified character experience makes for a faster per table turnover time. That should also help with capacity while still maintaining some distance between tables. At least, that’s my understanding.

Heppenheimer

Plywood is plentiful, probably because it's close to $70 a sheet.
If I'm not mistaken, the reason is because the demand for paper is much lower (far less need for office printing these days), so at least some of the wood shavings that would normally go to a paper mill can be diverted to plywood.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’d also imagine that family style plus the modified character experience makes for a faster per table turnover time. That should also help with capacity while still maintaining some distance between tables. At least, that’s my understanding.
Yep and they are huge people eating locations. With family style you don’t need a server to take orders and then wait for kitchen to cook. They just blast out plates of food so it’s quick and yes, without characters people are less likely to stick around longer than needed.

HarperRose

If I'm not mistaken, the reason is because the demand for paper is much lower (far less need for office printing these days), so at least some of the wood shavings that would normally go to a paper mill can be diverted to plywood.
Plywood is normally around $25 a sheet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you ever make a post without a cutting insult? Did I mention parades? You'd get a lot more reasonable conversation without the nastiness.

I didn't comment at all about what has gone on up to this point. I'm talking about what happens when we hit a wall with vaccine demand (we aren't there yet). I'm quite patient with waiting until everyone has had a reasonable chance to get the vaccine. What I'm discussing is what happens after that point.

you’d probably get less nastiness if you didn’t jump on posts and take them in a completely wrong direction.

it’s been a rough 24 hours on that front

Heppenheimer

I’m so done with the panic stuff every hurricane. I live in a mobile home anyway so I just purchased renters and flood insurance plans and no longer get big kits. If I’m gonna get hit by a hurricane directly I just go to my friends in Georgia. Way less stressful
Speaking of hurricanes, I got an alert from the weather channel app announcing that Hurricane Zeta was just upgraded to a category 3 storm. I thought, wow, that's early for the hurricane season. Only then to realize that Hirricane Zeta passed through in October of last year. Apparently, the weather channel thought this retroactive upgrade deserved an alert.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled COVID discussion.

Wendy Pleakley

I didn’t make the original comment about the mask photo - truly, I couldn’t care less about one’s profile picture on any social media platform. But per your comment - to that extent, a profile pic does not indicate one little bit about how caring a person truly is. A lot of people do things for show but aren’t great people. Certainly not suggesting that about any folks here, but let’s just speak generally. And you can be caring without flaunting it.

Wear your mask or shield and go quietly about your business is my philosophy - this whole “wear it proud” thing is a bit too cult-ish for me. For one, distancing is what is actually effective - far more than a piece of cotton on your face.

It's so over the top to suggest that a profile picture with a mask is flaunting anything or is cult like.

It's the current normal. My current Facebook photo is a masked one. It's a reflection of the current moment in time, no more no less.

Willmark

that’s an overreach on generalization

not all but a large percentage...your doing an “under reach” on generalization
If you have statistics as to who is and who is not getting vaccinated then by all means share.

As I stated previously I’m guessing that the idea that it’s a “certain segment” not doing so probably coincides with which lens one views the US from.

Im also willing to bet that it’s not so neat of a nice little box that people would like it to be.

havoc315

Beach club resort opens Memorial Day weekend and Boardwalk first week of July so I imagine more dining comes back. Same with Poly later in July.

For the CP I hadn’t heard it was very small. They offered first priority to anyone whose program was cut short of they never got started but said they were opening to new applicants as well. Almost limitless college students looking for work.

Yes, but those returning June 14th are only those who were cut short.
Yes, new applications are open -- But no arrival date for those has been set. It won't be June 14th.

They already announced Beach Club -- Cape May re-opening. No Yachtsman Steakhouse, no Beaches and Cream.
Of course, they could still announce those at any time. But apparently they are staffing up Cape May, and not those other 2 restaurants currently. They just don't have the staff for it.
I'm hoping a couple more Boardwalk Restaurants open up, but not holding my breath.

Poly won't be until late July.

Let's put it this way, since you're so confident that staffing isn't an issue, do you believe that restaurant availability will be a non-issue by mid June, with virtually all restaurants open and staffed? (maybe just V&A closed).

If you haven't tested the dining availability lately, go and try to schedule a table service reservation 30 days in advance:
June 12, dinner for 4:
There are NO reservations available at any DHS restaurant
There are NO reservations available at any AK restaurant
Hacienda is the ONLY Epcot restaurant with an open reservation (9 pm! Not a single dinner reservation anywhere in Epcot before 9pm)
At Magic Kingdom, the ONLY open reservation is Jungle Navigation. Nothing else.
At the resorts: None of the resort restaurants have any dinner availability except Olivia's Cafe at OKW. None of the Magic Kingdom or Epcot resorts have a single open dinner reservation.

Let's say you wanted to look for dinner TONIGHT. Party of 4, from 5-9pm:
Almost no availability outside of Disney Springs. The only availability outside of Disney Springs is Hacienda, Wave, Trattoria Al Forno, Olivia's and Kona Cafe. Nothing at Magic Kingdom, only 1 choice at Epcot, nothing at DHS, nothing at Animal Kingdom. Only 1 restaurant in the Epcot resorts, only 2 restaurants among the MK resorts.

So what's your prediction: When will they have enough restaurant staffing to even deal with 35% capacity? When will they have enough to deal with more than 35% capacity?

bryanfze55

It's so over the top to suggest that a profile picture with a mask is flaunting anything or is cult like.

It's the current normal. My current Facebook photo is a masked one. It's a reflection of the current moment in time, no more no less.
You’re probably right, and it’s equally over the top to suggest a profile pic makes one a caring person.

Let’s just agree we are all flawed, as humanity is garbage.

havoc315

I'm not religious, but months ago (I think it was here in NJ) officials broke up a group of people who gathered for a service at a church parking lot in their cars.

There has been absurdity in some of the mitigation efforts. Sadly, it's been hard to have a rational conversation about it, because you have a large segment of the population who would argue that ALL of the mitigation efforts were absurd.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If you have statistics as to who is and who is not getting vaccinated then by all means share.

As I stated previously I’m guessing that the idea that it’s a “certain segment” not doing so probably coincides with which lens one views the US from.

Im also willing to bet that it’s not so neat of a nice little box that people would like it to be.

From Jan-Feb:

1620838115478.png

sullyinMT

Yep and they are huge people eating locations. With family style you don’t need a server to take orders and then wait for kitchen to cook. They just blast out plates of food so it’s quick and yes, without characters people are less likely to stick around longer than needed.
Even where characters are returning, the time savings make up for lost physical table space. I’d wager the average Tusker House meal is 20 minutes or more faster without signatures, hugs, interactions, and people getting up and down to the buffet. I really hope Disney brings back the traditional character experience, but this interim change should make up the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom