So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

JokersWild

Original Poster
Some of the highlights this season was most definitely Projects 2-5, the hotel bar project, the Galaxy's Edge expansion (back in 2016 when we knew very little), the Cartoon Network project, and the Haunted Mansion Holiday project.

To me each of those projects represent peak SYWTBAI - excellent team building, working with people like Basketbuddy, Figment, etc for the first time was a thrill and also stepping a bit outside the comfort zone, especially with the Cartoon Network project.
Steven Universe was a show I never saw before, so I binged a few episodes and got really hooked on the music and colorful art style that I tried to replicate for the attraction while Figment wrote up most of the script.
28367657165_b17b7147d6_b.jpg

It was so much collaborative fun!

Plus the Mansion Mash is still one of the greatest songs in SYWTBAI history
full

-------------------------------------
Then I remember I went on vacation for a few days during/right after Mansion Mash. When I returned the game began to focus much less on the imagineering and more on the 'killer' twist

What bothered me about this at the time and still does is that it took the incentive to try out of the game, especially post-merge when we all were on one team. Long story short it ended up where Figment and myself got eliminated in 6th and 7th place respectfully. But sadly each of us got eliminated being the most active players in the previous round before elimination, I remember Figment even covering for someone who was busy with school and then they voted for her. That didn't sit well with me at all, but it was the nature of the game setup at the time.

It was also hyped up that the semi-final was going to be a Breaking Bad project so I was pumped for that, but never got the chance in game. I ended up submitting one anyway, but a bit rushed and for fun. And it was unfortunate because none of the semi-finalists knew Breaking Bad or had the opportunity to do much research because school started in September.

So all in all - the first half of Season 13 created memories I still hold close. It was one of the best summers too in general, just an all around great time. But the second half it kinda went off the rails in terms of imagineering, as I don't remember a stand-out project post-merge.

This is exactly my problem with strategic games. What happened to you in Season 13 is basically what happened to me in Season 12 and it’s infuriating to be eliminated solely because you’re playing the game well. Thankfully we’ve gotten past it for the most part. Season 18 was the return to form that I had been waiting for and it ended up being the most successful WDWM season. I think that strategy has its place in certain games (like 1986) but it has no business being so heavily focused on in the tent pole games (SYWTBAI and SA.)

Last edited:

Chaos Cat

I like how the two states of Sea World either have questionable morals or questionable quality
The worst part is that the questionable quality part seems extend to the maintenance of their old stuff as well. The worst offender is Journey to Atlantis, which was originally the closest they ever got to Disney quality, but then they didn't maintain the effects well at all and the ride slowly wore itself down until they decided to just remove any semblance of storytelling altogether, leaving it a hallow husk of itself.

I would also like to give special attention to the Wild Arctic motion simulator, because I have a story for that. You see, last time me and my family went to SeaWorld, we went with my grandma, who didn't want to go anything too intense out of fear of breaking something. We were considering taking the option to skip straight to the animal exhibits because of this, but decided to go on the ride anyways on the logic of, "It's a Star Tours clone. It can't be that intense."

One absolutely terrifying ride that the cabin sounded like it could barely endure (including one bit that went practically vertical) later, we were apologizing profoundly to Grandma the entire time in the exhibit.

JokersWild

Original Poster
The worst part is that the questionable quality part seems extend to the maintenance of their old stuff as well. The worst offender is Journey to Atlantis, which was originally the closest they ever got to Disney quality, but then they didn't maintain the effects well at all and the ride slowly wore itself down until they decided to just remove any semblance of storytelling altogether, leaving it a hallow husk of itself.

I would also like to give special attention to the Wild Arctic motion simulator, because I have a story for that. You see, last time me and my family went to SeaWorld, we went with my grandma, who didn't want to go anything too intense out of fear of breaking something. We were considering taking the option to skip straight to the animal exhibits because of this, but decided to go on the ride anyways on the logic of, "It's a Star Tours clone. It can't be that intense."

One absolutely terrifying ride that the cabin sounded like it could barely endure (including one bit that went practically vertical) later, we were apologizing profoundly to Grandma the entire time in the exhibit.
Can we talk about how Wild Arctic’s simulators smell like pee on BOTH coasts. I don’t understand.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Pixar Rankings.png

So, You Want to be an Imagineer Historical Retrospective - Season 14

Season 14 - Greatest Hits
Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @MANEATINGWREATH

(Winter 2017)
1. @Basketbuddy101
2. @Snoopy
3. @kmbmw777
4. @Magic Feather
5. @DisneyManOne
6. @Pi on my Cake
7. @mickeyfan5534
8. @JokersWild
9. @mharrington
10. @ThatGuyFromFlorida
11. @TrevorA
12. @IAmNotAHufflepuff
13. @David2319
14. @Brer Oswald
15. @RMichael21
16. @CraniumCommand89
17. @spacemt354
18. MonorailRed (@TheDesignPirate)
19. @StevenU
20. @Angels and Disney's
21. @MCParradox
22. @NAdoTEg
Hot on the heels of Season 13's success, Season 14 swooped in with an even larger cast (22!) and a more focused premise. Introduced as a true "Clash of the All-Stars" this season saw VisionsFantastic veterans and WDWM Imagineers alike working to finish projects inspired by some of the most successful projects from past seasons. This time, contestants were again split into three teams - Team Mist, Team Younger, and Team Cap, named after people important to the mythos of both the game and the YouTube channel.

Despite intentions of having the season focus on creativity rather than strategy, there were a select few who had trouble adjusting. PMs, proper alliances, and even "hit lists" circulated during the first project, prompting the judges to both ban alliances during the season, and change a long-standing rule so that judges would decide who was nominated at the end of each project.

The controversy didn't end there when mass dropouts soon followed, leading to a complete overhaul of the season by Project 3. Despite a lot of growing pains, Season 14 ended strong when @Basketbuddy101 beat other returning winner @Snoopy in the finals, becoming the first two-time winner of the game.

Almanac
Season 14 Hub Thread
Inside Baseball - Season 14

---------------------------------------------
Side note, I literally forgot that I played this season and had no idea that I made it as far as I did let alone played at all. I have vague memories of playing (@Pi on my Cake and I working on the Pinocchio musical, and Swim City, specifically) but I totally forgot that those were from this season until I started researching.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
This is exactly my problem with strategic games. What happened to you in Season 13 is basically what happened to me in Season 12 and it’s infuriating to be eliminated solely because you’re playing the game well. Thankfully we’ve gotten past it for the most part. Season 18 was the return to form that I had been waiting for and it ended up being the most successful WDWM season. I think that strategy has its place in certain games (like 1986) but it has no business being so heavily focused on in the tent pole games (SYWTBAI and SA.)
For sure, not all games need to have 233 page projects or Minecraft mini-golf, but when there is a push for project quality and the strategy gets in the way that's where I feel it goes downhill. A strategic One Sentence Comp would be pretty fun! Because you can focus on the strategy and the imagineering doesn't take much of your time.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 556756
So, You Want to be an Imagineer Historical Retrospective - Season 14

Season 14 - Greatest Hits
Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @MANEATINGWREATH

(Winter 2017)
1. @Basketbuddy101
2. @Snoopy
3. @kmbmw777
4. @Magic Feather
5. @DisneyManOne
6. @Pi on my Cake
7. @mickeyfan5534
8. @JokersWild
9. @mharrington
10. @ThatGuyFromFlorida
11. @TrevorA
12. @IAmNotAHufflepuff
13. @David2319
14. @Brer Oswald
15. @RMichael21
16. @CraniumCommand89
17. @spacemt354
18. MonorailRed (@TheDesignPirate)
19. @StevenU
20. @Angels and Disney's
21. @MCParradox
22. @NAdoTEg
Hot on the heels of Season 13's success, Season 14 swooped in with an even larger cast (22!) and a more focused premise. Introduced as a true "Clash of the All-Stars" this season saw VisionsFantastic veterans and WDWM Imagineers alike working to finish projects inspired by some of the most successful projects from past seasons. This time, contestants were again split into three teams - Team Mist, Team Younger, and Team Cap, named after people important to the mythos of both the game and the YouTube channel.

Despite intentions of having the season focus on creativity rather than strategy, there were a select few who had trouble adjusting. PMs, proper alliances, and even "hit lists" circulated during the first project, prompting the judges to both ban alliances during the season, and change a long-standing rule so that judges would decide who was nominated at the end of each project.

The controversy didn't end there when mass dropouts soon followed, leading to a complete overhaul of the season by Project 3. Despite a lot of growing pains, Season 14 ended strong when @Basketbuddy101 beat other returning winner @Snoopy in the finals, becoming the first two-time winner of the game.

Almanac
Season 14 Hub Thread
Inside Baseball - Season 14

---------------------------------------------
Side note, I literally forgot that I played this season and had no idea that I made it as far as I did let alone played at all. I have vague memories of playing (@Pi on my Cake and I working on the Pinocchio musical, and Swim City, specifically) but I totally forgot that those were from this season until I started researching.
This was my first "big" competition after joining the forum (Only did one sentence comp before this)! I really loved it! I remember my Disney College Program started during this game leading to a few of my projects being worked on in line for Seven Dwarves lol. That Pinocchio musical was a blast! I got too busy later on in the game and sacrificed my spot to save @kmbmw777 from elimination. Partly because me and him were a really great duo there for a while since a lot of the rest of our team were either not super active or eliminated from a string of losses early on. And partly because there was some kind of round for players up for elimination to save themselves and I liked Kev's project more than the one that won.

Overall, a super fun season and a great first large scale game!

tcool123

But why social distance at that point? As is with 6 feet most groups don’t fit on a marker. They should just eliminate it and stop caring if they are to reduce the social distancing 🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess bright side is they can fit a lot more people into the queues allowing for more capacity AND will likely allow for more seating in the theaters

Orange Cat

idk what that is but sounds interesting
I just mean ****posts lol, I was just being way too cautious after my Cats rage
A strategic One Sentence Comp would be pretty fun!
I don’t know how that would work but I wanna host it now
I’d rather they not

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
But why social distance at that point? As is with 6 feet most groups don’t fit on a marker. They should just eliminate it and stop caring if they are to reduce the social distancing 🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess bright side is they can fit a lot more people into the queues allowing for more capacity AND will likely allow for more seating in the theaters
Yeahhhh the 3 feet rule feels pretty pointless. And it feels slightly early since Orange County, FL is falling behind on vaccines, has 94% full ICUs, and is barely out of the red zone down to just being "High Risk." But they're doing it in phases over a few weeks so hopefully they don't rush too much. Thinks are supposed to get better fast over the summer.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom