Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

It’s not even “poorer” education. This pandemic has revealed how much even our “good” education systems have been failing us before remote learning. Very educated people buying into bunk because they aren’t familiar enough with basic concepts so that red flags are raised when they encounter dubious information.
Critical thinking skills are important, but not sufficient alone if people lack even a basic understanding of various mathematical or scientific principles. I've been rudely awakened over the past year to see how many people, even with college degrees, can't describe or flat-out don't know the difference between a chemical element and chemical compound, for just one example. How can you even begin to explain how an mRNA vaccine works, much less reassure these people that it won't change their genes, like they read on Facebook?

correcaminos

Odd that in a thread discussing vaccines and vaccine hesitancy, I keep seeing pop-up ads for Botox featuring... Gwyneth Paltrow?! I have no idea idea if Goop has a corporate philosophy regarding injectable pharmaceuticals (I guess based on this ad they're OK if they make you look attractive?), but it would be nice if she made the same outreach attempt to her fans regarding the COVID vaccines. I have no idea if vaccine hesitancy or antivax sentiments are common in that demographic, but I'm guessing the answer is... yes.
Given someone I know swears up and down that a neurologist has said no covid vaccine because they use botox for headaches, I'll guess no too. Who wants to worry about some minor face swelling....

ImperfectPixie

As has been said, nope, but then at the same time, if the CC guidelines were meaningless, why do so many refer to them for guidance?
A better question would be: why haven't states updated mandates as the CDC and experts learned new information?

ImperfectPixie

Except that a lot of states based their mandates on the CDC data, which according to the article, is deeply flawed.
Ahem. The CDC was basing the 10% figure on data from China. Which lacked specificity in regards to whether 95 specific cases were caused by indoor or outdoor exposure.

That does not equal the CDC's data being "deeply flawed".

sullyinMT

In some ways he is right. For starters, India in many areas is like China, Japan, NYC and so on. They live on top of each other. Add in larger family households, many unclean and unsanitary infrastructures, a weaker health care system and so on. I just couldn't see it being that horrific here.
Which isn't to say our dense population centers weren't at real risk of collapse. I know that's not what you're saying. But it is important to parse out that an extreme outbreak in NYC or LA (or insert large metro) could look like Delhi or Bangalore, while the US as a whole is likely to be spared an overall catastrophe. Even rural India is being hit hard right now, though, and if we would have been as unchecked as India was when their current wave started our CAH and FQHC network would have snapped under a similar weight.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Again, the CDC isn’t responsible for state mandates. See Texas, Florida, etc.
Hence why I said lots of states - not ALL. So are you going to argue that the CDC numbers, based partly on COVID numbers from Singapore of all places, is accurate? You do understand that they have not changed their website about the 10% number, so some states are going off that number to base meaningless outdoor mandates on.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Ahem. The CDC was basing the 10% figure on data from China. Which lacked specificity in regards to whether 95 specific cases were caused by indoor or outdoor exposure.

That does not equal the CDC's data being "deeply flawed".
Let’s face it, had those in charge last year welcomed the CDC’s recommendations instead of forming a constant attack cycle, I’m sure they’d still be “respected” by those who continue to gripe.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Hence why I said lots of states - not ALL. So are you going to argue that the CDC numbers, based partly on COVID numbers from Singapore of all places, is accurate? You do understand that they have not changed their website about the 10% number, so some states are going off that number to base meaningless outdoor mandates on.
I understand perfectly. Different states have different approaches. Hence state’s rights, a quaint pastime.

Nubs70

Hmmm...is the CDC responsible for passing state mandates? 🤔
Passing state mandates... That is an intellectual equivalent to jumbo shrimp or dry water.

Mandates are not passed... Mandates are imposed.

State governors, who follow the science, took CDC guidance as "science" and imposed outdoor no work restrictions. My highschool friend lost his 50 year old family landscape business due to restrictions imposed by Gov Whitmer. There a many outside businesses that were fined for mask and distancing violations after no work restrictions were lifted.

What happens when the "science" is wrong? Who do you seek redress from when you are impacted by wrong "science"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom