Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The temperature screening for Resort Dining has now been removed from the Disney website as of a few minutes ago -

It used to have this text -

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 4.33.00 PM.png

Now it looks like this -

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 4.34.48 PM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It didn't. It had the exact opposite effect. Confidence in the Johnson & Johnson vaccine plummeted and has not recovered even since the pause was lifted. And that impact has carried over to the other vaccines as well. The pause may have been well-intentioned, even warranted, but it definitely did not help with vaccine hesitancy.
I agree and that is kinda my point. If the narrative is that the process is rushed or the FDA is just going to push something through even when it’s not safe then what happened with the JnJ vaccine should have set people’s minds at ease. The process proved to be extremely thorough. I understand why the confidence in the JnJ vaccine dropped but it makes no sense to me why confidence in the other two did.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have to say, I am starting to see some very positive trends with the numbers here in FL

Hospitalizations have dropped a lot. ALL of the major counties now under 5% positivity with some bigger counties at 3%.

This is good news for FL.
Half the people vaccinated the other half naturally infected....game over 👍👍👍👍

Numbers looking good nationally too. Need to keep it up and keep getting vaccinations.

AEfx

I understand why the confidence in the JnJ vaccine dropped but it makes no sense to me why confidence in the other two did.

Before anyone assumes otherwise, I am in no way saying I believe or think like this (feel the need to say that based on some of the responses that go on here), but I can see why a problem with one would affect perception of them all if you are even remotely skeptical to begin with. By creating an impression that one might be "less safe" than others, you are introducing the idea of there being varying safety levels in vaccines, period, which brings into doubt the "100% safe!" mantra.

Lilofan

I have to say, I am starting to see some very positive trends with the numbers here in FL

Hospitalizations have dropped a lot. ALL of the major counties now under 5% positivity with some bigger counties at 3%.

This is good news for FL.
Good news for FL and perhaps more will see a sporting event. That's highly doubtful at a Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball game. The stadium was near empty pre covid and probably the same in a few months.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The one thing from over a year of this thread that astounds me more than anything is just how many people here think they are so, so much smarter than the average, ignorant American and look down their noses at their fellow citizens. The amount of arrogant elitism in this one thread on a Disney forum is just astonishing.
Elitist is too polite of a title in my opinion. This thread has become nothing more than a clubhouse for certain people to display their obedience to perceived authority on a scale that would make Milgrims head spin.

Lilofan

Elitist is too polite of a title in my opinion. This thread has become nothing more than a clubhouse for certain people to display their obedience to perceived authority on a scale that would make Milgrims head spin.
Last time I checked educated individuals displayed safety first ( ie mask wearing , social distancing, etc ) and I am glad Disney led the way. Can't speak on the ignorant and defiant ones.

Turtlekrawl

Interesting article. Per this poll, physicians are generally more accepting of the vaccine than nurses. This is consistent with what I encounter. Would like the numbers in both groups to increase, but 32% of nurses planning to never get vaccinated is really disappointing.

Disney Experience

Interesting article. Per this poll, physicians are generally more accepting of the vaccine than nurses. This is consistent with what I encounter. Would like the numbers in both groups to increase, but 32% of nurses planning to never get vaccinated is really disappointing.

One slightly unintentionally humorous statement in the article is:
Too few doctors younger than 25 responded to be included in the results.

Personally, I know of very few people who achieved a doctor of medicine before age 25, so the lack of response from under 25 yo MDs is not surprising.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Before anyone assumes otherwise, I am in no way saying I believe or think like this (feel the need to say that based on some of the responses that go on here), but I can see why a problem with one would affect perception of them all if you are even remotely skeptical to begin with. By creating an impression that one might be "less safe" than others, you are introducing the idea of there being varying safety levels in vaccines, period, which brings into doubt the "100% safe!" mantra.
I was more just talking in relation to the narrative that the vaccines were rushed and a safety step may have been missed. If that were true they certainly wouldn’t pause a vaccine’s use after approved.

The 100% safe mantra is still technically true even for JnJ. 15 out of almost 9M doses now means the JnJ vaccine was 99.9998% safe which in all practical terms rounds to 100%. The other 2 vaccines had no known issues with blood clots so still 100% safe as well. I think at this point anyone who says they won’t get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine now because of what happened with JnJ probably wasn’t going to get the vaccine anyway.

Nubs70

I was more just talking in relation to the narrative that the vaccines were rushed and a safety step may have been missed. If that were true they certainly wouldn’t pause a vaccine’s use after approved.

The 100% safe mantra is still technically true even for JnJ. 15 out of almost 9M doses now means the JnJ vaccine was 99.9998% safe which in all practical terms rounds to 100%. The other 2 vaccines had no known issues with blood clots so still 100% safe as well. I think at this point anyone who says they won’t get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine now because of what happened with JnJ probably wasn’t going to get the vaccine anyway.
There are some people in the particular J&J demographic that are pretty f'd up that are not dead yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are some people in the particular J&J demographic that are pretty f'd up that are not dead yet.
I’m not sure what that means.

15 cases of blood clots were possibly linked to the JnJ vaccine. 3 people died. 15 out of almost 9,000,000 doses means 99.9998% did not have blood clot issues, 99.99997% of people who got that vaccine didn’t die from a blood clot after. Statistically speaking that rounds to 100% in both cases.

Nubs70

I’m not sure what that means.

15 cases of blood clots were possibly linked to the JnJ vaccine. 3 people died. 15 out of almost 9,000,000 doses means 99.9998% did not have blood clot issues, 99.99997% of people who got that vaccine didn’t die from a blood clot after. Statistically speaking that rounds to 100% in both cases.
9,000,000 doses in the problem demographic or 9,000,000 doses total?

Nubs70

It’s about 8.8M total doses in the US.
Incidents per dose within the affected demographic would be a better metric. My wife's.hospital alone has 1 confirmed fatality and a couple just short of brain dead. This could be a racial phenomena.

Tony the Tigger

DeSantis commented that if you believe that policing people is still necessary, then you don't believe in the vaccines or the science behind them. Seems to be a fair point
It's not a fair point. The vaccines work as they are supposed to: around 90% effective, not 100%. Also, obviously, not everyone has been vaccinated, and we are supposedly not allowed to ask for proof of vaccination. The argument is circular, the conclusion, erroneous.
In regards to the instances of nut jobs causing problems inside private property because they don't understand the difference between a government mandate and a business requirement... it's unfortunate, but I don't know that any government action will ever fix that type of ignorance. Shifting power from government entities to individuals & businesses is usually a noble pursuit, but not one free of collateral damage. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad here.
It doesn't. There is no "good" here. There is only new bad. Regardless of whether or not you know it, we already know it: the local mandates take the heat off the local businesses.

Also, masks have zero to do with "freedom."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom