What is up at Epcot?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster
I want to express my frustration with the ride upkeep at Epcot.

Today, Imagination had 2 entire scenes with no audio. None. Figment is bouncing on the words to one little spark and there’s no sound at all except some background beeps. Then in figments open house, no sound again. That ride should not have been operating.

Finding Nemo had a projector out in the tunnel scene under the ocean. So this 360 effect had a giant empty black box 80% of the way through it.

The speaker in my SSE headrest was so quiet I could hear the car behind mine’s more clearly.

Then the doors that swing open on Test Track were just stuck in the open position (as they were on Saturday)

It’s just so pathetic and such bad form. Especially the Imagination one is completely unforgivable. Fix your stuff Disney and take some more pride in what you’re putting out there. The park isn’t going to melt down in Imagination is closed because there’s no audio.

Soarin and M:S Green both seemed fine so 1/3rd of the rides we did were in good shape 😕

NickMaio

I want to express my frustration with the ride upkeep at Epcot.

Today, Imagination had 2 entire scenes with no audio. None. Figment is bouncing on the words to one little spark and there’s no sound at all except some background beeps. Then in figments open house, no sound again. That ride should not have been operating.

Finding Nemo had a projector out in the tunnel scene under the ocean. So this 360 effect had a giant empty black box 80% of the way through it.

The speaker in my SSE headrest was so quiet I could hear the car behind mine’s more clearly.

Then the doors that swing open on Test Track were just stuck in the open position (as they were on Saturday)

It’s just so pathetic and such bad form. Especially the Imagination one is completely unforgivable. Fix your stuff Disney and take some more pride in what you’re putting out there. The park isn’t going to melt down in Imagination is closed because there’s no audio.

Soarin and M:S Green both seemed fine so 1/3rd of the rides we did were in good shape 😕
Sadly we have ALL experienced days like this........send WDW an email. only takes a minute.

CosmicRays

Unfortunately EPCOT is the most overlooked park in my opinion when it comes to attractions. I am not saying I don't love it, because I do love walking the World Showcase and enjoying a good beverage and a bite to eat. But Disney knows their cash cow is in Food & Wine (that comes under different names throughout the year but honestly is just year around at this point) and so I feel they slack on the ride and attraction part of that park.

Bellhop97

Usually a CM has to do a ride thru in the morning and at night to see if anything is wrong, so I am sure they know about the issues, and maybe it's not an easy fix. 😞

ppete1975

Usually a CM has to do a ride thru in the morning and at night to see if anything is wrong, so I am sure they know about the issues, and maybe it's not an easy fix. 😞
or its broken since then... still doesnt hurt to tell guest relations and the cms

rangerbob

As was said before did you let a CM know? I did this on one of the coasters at Universal(slightly different situation and dangerous) they asked me to wait for a maintenance person to show them where I rode, they were there within minutes they jumped on the train by themself and as soon as they got back they pulled the train from the track. Yes I could have walked off and not told them that it felt like one of the tires had a flat spot but sometimes things have to be said or they won't know.

Goofyernmost

It puzzles me how quickly everyone starts to point and diagnose the cause and duration of mechanical problems. (Yes, a light bulb out is a mechanical problem) If you are driving down the road and you have a tire blow out, was it because it wasn't maintained? Maybe, but you would blame the car. What if you are driving along and the check engine light come on. Was that a maintenance problem on your part? Maybe, but it also might be something that just happened or wasn't seen earlier.

I'm not defending Disney about their maintenance procedures, but ask yourself if you were on the highway with regular highway stress 10 to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year how long would you expect your vehicle to last? With the thousands of things that create a moving vehicle or any other moving object it is quite possible that many of those things will not be broken until they actually break. Couple with that the depth of Disney's pockets and how much cash can be retrieved from them in case of something catastrophic happening, you can bet that they are not intentionally just letting everything slid. Some are higher priority then others, but not completely ignored. If you think the admission price is high now, can you imagine how much it would be if they were to replace everything that isn't broken to avoid having something spontaneously breaking.

MickeyLuv'r

It puzzles me how quickly everyone starts to point and diagnose the cause and duration of mechanical problems. (Yes, a light bulb out is a mechanical problem) If you are driving down the road and you have a tire blow out, was it because it wasn't maintained? Maybe, but you would blame the car. What if you are driving along and the check engine light come on. Was that a maintenance problem on your part? Maybe, but it also might be something that just happened or wasn't seen earlier.

I'm not defending Disney about their maintenance procedures, but ask yourself if you were on the highway with regular highway stress 10 to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year how long would you expect your vehicle to last? With the thousands of things that create a moving vehicle or any other moving object it is quite possible that many of those things will not be broken until they actually break. Couple with that the depth of Disney's pockets and how much cash can be retrieved from them in case of something catastrophic happening, you can bet that they are not intentionally just letting everything slid. Some are higher priority then others, but not completely ignored. If you think the admission price is high now, can you imagine how much it would be if they were to replace everything that isn't broken to avoid having something spontaneously breaking.
While I see your point, that some breakdowns are inevitable, Disney used to do a better job in this area. It was long a source of pride. A number of times, I have forgiven a leaky faucet in my WDW hotel room.

I was just attempting to explain a facet of this in another thread. Part of the problem is that WDW- at least as of 2019- had us booking a big chunk of our day, with a trend towards us not only having to book FP, but the stakes were getting higher and higher to book Fast Passes. You have posted before about the problems of FP. If there's no FP, then there is no opportunity to miss a FP. If there's no FP, then a monorail delay is less significant.

Imagine for moment if every attraction had Boarding Groups like Rise does. Then picture 3 major MK rides breaking down in one day, and oops! even though you were stuck on Splash with no cell phone reception for an hour, WDW wants to charge you a $50 no-show fee for the meal you missed.

Goofyernmost

While I see your point, that some breakdowns are inevitable, Disney used to do a better job in this area. It was long a source of pride. A number of times, I have forgiven a leaky faucet in my WDW hotel room.

I was just attempting to explain a facet of this in another thread. Part of the problem is that WDW- at least as of 2019- had us booking a big chunk of our day, with a trend towards us not only having to book FP, but the stakes were getting higher and higher to book Fast Passes. You have posted before about the problems of FP. If there's no FP, then there is no opportunity to miss a FP. If there's no FP, then a monorail delay is less significant.

Imagine for moment if every attraction had Boarding Groups like Rise does. Then picture 3 major MK rides breaking down in one day, and oops! even though you were stuck on Splash with no cell phone reception for an hour, WDW wants to charge you a $50 no-show fee for the meal you missed.
True, but also while we are remembering many of those attractions that breakdown occasionally have been running just about every day for the past 50 years at WDW. Believe me everything including people start to break down by the time a half century shows up. When they were all new, they didn't have as many breakdowns, again like people because the parts weren't worn out, like people, there will naturally be more breakdowns with the advancing age. That doesn't mean both objects and people don't do their best to stay ahead, it just isn't possible to anticipate everything.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster
True, but also while we are remembering many of those attractions that breakdown occasionally have been running just about every day for the past 50 years at WDW. Believe me everything including people start to break down by the time a half century shows up. When they were all new, they didn't have as many breakdowns, again like people because the parts weren't worn out, like people, there will naturally be more breakdowns with the advancing age. That doesn't mean both objects and people don't do their best to stay ahead, it just isn't possible to anticipate everything.
My concern isn’t that there were issues and I can forgive the SSE speaker and the Test Track doors. Journey shouldn’t be open with the audio like that. That felt like someone’s thumb on the scale to keep capacity up.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Theme park mechanics were engineered to run as long as demanded. And when they started to wear out - at around a time that was expected - they were replaced.

I’m always one of the first to say see if something that’s not working is working after a few hours, the next day or the next week. But the trend has been a downward one for a while now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom