Room Prices Exploding?

Wendylet

Just wondered what thoughts might be on room prices at WDW. I am going to be booking a 1 and 2 bdrm villa at AKL for 14 nights and the pricing seems to have gone through the roof. I will be going next year in May so right now I can only see March 2022 pricing but it’s coming in around $3000 a night for the two (Savannah view). Even with a discount it’s pretty crazy. I know I checked the pricing last fall for May 2021 and I’m sure it wasn’t as crazy as this. Do you think prices will go down for May 2022 or would it price out the same as March? Is Disney recovering lost $$ on the backs of future travellers? Pretty steep since I am from Canada. May have to look at renting points. what are your thoughts?

StarshipDisney

I am going to be booking a 1 and 2 bdrm villa at AKL

If I read this correctly, you are booking two separate villas. While I have never priced the villas before, I know that a standard Magic Kingdom view room at the Contemporary is roughly $1100/night with tickets and memory maker. So it is not surprising to me that a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom villa together are about the price you mention. I think AK may still be slightly cheaper than Contemporary but having separate bedroom villas will cost. I doubt seriously that the price will go down much if at all.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound negative, but this is the reality I see at Disney every day. Average yearly price increase at Contemporary is about 10%. I am sure that in a few years staying 7 nights there will cost $10,000. AKL as a deluxe resort will also be pricey.

Good luck...but I think those prices won't change much between now and May. Hopefully I will be wrong.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
If I read this correctly, you are booking two separate villas. While I have never priced the villas before, I know that a standard Magic Kingdom view room at the Contemporary is roughly $1100/night with tickets and memory maker. So it is not surprising to me that a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom villa together are about the price you mention. I think AK may still be slightly cheaper than Contemporary but having separate bedroom villas will cost. I doubt seriously that the price will go down much if at all.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound negative, but this is the reality I see at Disney every day. Average yearly price increase at Contemporary is about 10%. I am sure that in a few years staying 7 nights there will cost $10,000. AKL as a deluxe resort will also be pricey.

Good luck...but I think those prices won't change much between now and May. Hopefully I will be wrong.
Thanks for your thoughts. It certainly is pricey but I will wait and see if this pricing is reflective of spring break being in March. I suppose if there is little to no change I will have no choice but to entertain DVC rental. I was trying to avoid that so I could cancel or switch up anything should it be required. Might have to end up going that route in the end anyway!

Upvote 0

LovePop

Just wondered what thoughts might be on room prices at WDW. I am going to be booking a 1 and 2 bdrm villa at AKL for 14 nights and the pricing seems to have gone through the roof. I will be going next year in May so right now I can only see March 2022 pricing but it’s coming in around $3000 a night for the two (Savannah view). Even with a discount it’s pretty crazy. I know I checked the pricing last fall for May 2021 and I’m sure it wasn’t as crazy as this. Do you think prices will go down for May 2022 or would it price out the same as March? Is Disney recovering lost $$ on the backs of future travellers? Pretty steep since I am from Canada. May have to look at renting points. what are your thoughts?
You can see prices past March by looking up the Rate Calendar. Click "rate details" under room price, then click "view rate calendar" in the pop up window and see prices from now to all of 2022. I did some screen shots. First compare the 1 bedroom villa, March vs May:
March 1 bedrm villa.PNG
May 1 bedroom villa.PNG

The price drops around $170 per night or so. Then look at the 2 bedroom villas:

March 2 bedrm villa.PNG
May 2 bedrm villa.PNG

The prices drop around $420 per night. Bear in mind that Disney may change the prices any time, and also they may run discounts. But normally, prices are lower in May compared to March, so it is reasonable to expect cheaper prices in May.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
You can see prices past March by looking up the Rate Calendar. Click "rate details" under room price, then click "view rate calendar" in the pop up window and see prices from now to all of 2022. I did some screen shots. First compare the 1 bedroom villa, March vs May:
View attachment 553660View attachment 553661
The price drops around $170 per night or so. Then look at the 2 bedroom villas:

View attachment 553662View attachment 553663
The prices drop around $420 per night. Bear in mind that Disney may change the prices any time, and also they may run discounts. But normally, prices are lower in May compared to March, so it is reasonable to expect cheaper prices in May.
Thank you so much for the work you did here. I can see the difference for sure. So perhaps the pricing will end up in a space I can work with. Just now in a waiting game for the booking window to open for Villas for next May.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Also, when booking in advance there isn't any promotions rate available. They usually release rates only a few months in advance
Yes I thought that was the case. I believe I can book and then redo and apply a promo when it comes up. I just hope that wouldn’t negatively affect anything on the original booking. Is anything attached to the room or mostly just the park passes?

Upvote 0
Yes I thought that was the case. I believe I can book and then redo and apply a promo when it comes up. I just hope that wouldn’t negatively affect anything on the original booking. Is anything attached to the room or mostly just the park passes?
Nothing is attached to the room unless you add it or get a package. Many "discounts" are package deals, so you don't really see what the price is per item. Room & ticket package is usually no big saving. Try to watch the individual prices of items, so you know how much, if any, you are really saving. If you have to upgrade to "get the deal", you spend more, not save. If you really want those additional items. (tickets + park hopper---yes, tickets + park hopper +water parks----no. You have a good pool at your resort) Being from Canada, you may want the water parks. I don't know, just trying to give an example and warn you about buying package deals that require you to get things you don't really want. But there are room only deals too, and it is so easy to buy your tickets separately. Check the prices of each item to see if you really get any discount, and if they are items you want.
AKL is my favorite resort. It is beautiful, and so special. You really feel like a world apart there. I hope it is fully open and returned to normal by next May.
And yes, WDW will continue to raise room prices, and prices on everything, despite the past year.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Nothing is attached to the room unless you add it or get a package. Many "discounts" are package deals, so you don't really see what the price is per item. Room & ticket package is usually no big saving. Try to watch the individual prices of items, so you know how much, if any, you are really saving. If you have to upgrade to "get the deal", you spend more, not save. If you really want those additional items. (tickets + park hopper---yes, tickets + park hopper +water parks----no. You have a good pool at your resort) Being from Canada, you may want the water parks. I don't know, just trying to give an example and warn you about buying package deals that require you to get things you don't really want. But there are room only deals too, and it is so easy to buy your tickets separately. Check the prices of each item to see if you really get any discount, and if they are items you want.
AKL is my favorite resort. It is beautiful, and so special. You really feel like a world apart there. I hope it is fully open and returned to normal by next May.
And yes, WDW will continue to raise room prices, and prices on everything, despite the past year.
Thank you. We do have separate tickets which were purchased on a Cdn Resident discount and I understand we will now have to pay the difference as they are due to expire this Sept. I know they are still usable but likely won’t be able to just port them over to our reservation without doing that as there won’t be a special on for us at that time. Yes we would be looking at room only discount. I am a bit worried about whether that discount will happen but I do see it historically for many years covering May but since the discount is given such a short period of time before travel it makes the uncertainty of it a bit unsettling. I really can’t afford to pay rack rates for this special trip so it worries me slightly.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Thank you. We do have separate tickets which were purchased on a Cdn Resident discount and I understand we will now have to pay the difference as they are due to expire this Sept. I know they are still usable but likely won’t be able to just port them over to our reservation without doing that as there won’t be a special on for us at that time. Yes we would be looking at room only discount. I am a bit worried about whether that discount will happen but I do see it historically for many years covering May but since the discount is given such a short period of time before travel it makes the uncertainty of it a bit unsettling. I really can’t afford to pay rack rates for this special trip so it worries me slightly.
Fwiw, my family had tickets for July 2020 that were due to expire September 2021. We’ve got a trip planned in October, so they just called the ticket line and they were able to change the dates for them. One sister added days, so that cost money and another combined two tickets (we had been planning before and after cruise park days) and added days, so that cost money too. Once they got through they had no problems.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Fwiw, my family had tickets for July 2020 that were due to expire September 2021. We’ve got a trip planned in October, so they just called the ticket line and they were able to change the dates for them. One sister added days, so that cost money and another combined two tickets (we had been planning before and after cruise park days) and added days, so that cost money too. Once they got through they had no problems.
Well that’s really interesting. I wonder if that was no problem just because you only added another month. I can certainly ask about that. We do need to add a day a well to one family so not sure how that would work out from the discount/full price aspect. Certainly worth checking into. Thanks!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Try dvcresale.com or David’s vacation rentals… you might have better luck there?

Upvote 0

disneyflush

14 nights at $3,000 per night so $42,000 just for the hotel part of your vacation?

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
14 nights at $3,000 per night so $42,000 just for the hotel part of your vacation?
Since I posted this someone was good enough to show me how to see the room rates beyond March and they are not as high as this. As well I am hoping for the room only discount of 30-35%. In the end I may decide to rent DVC points which is about half of the price you mentioned. This is a once in a lifetime trip we are taking our two daughters and their families on. After the last 14 months you can’t put a price on family time!

Upvote 0

Goof-Man

It’s scary to compare prices for different times. I was looking at oct/nov vs January 2022 and the savings for January is roughly 1200 before any discounts. So for me that is a no brainer. Good luck getting a discount; have you used a vacation planner?

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
It’s scary to compare prices for different times. I was looking at oct/nov vs January 2022 and the savings for January is roughly 1200 before any discounts. So for me that is a no brainer. Good luck getting a discount; have you used a vacation planner?
I do have a travel agent here I work with. I guess really not much is certain right now. I think all we can do is book and watch to see if the discounts appear to be showing up throughout the year in the same fashion as years before to help predict what might happen for this time next year.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

you are booking rooms built for timeshare that are hyperinflated anyway because they weren’t meant for sale. And yes...they’re gonna charge everyone more...because they can and people will pay it.

I think a lot has to do with looking in March when spring break is. It should be lower come may. I would think at least

the Easter week is actually very late next year...April 17-24 I think?
That doesn’t cover all “spring break”...but does shift a big number out of march

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom