New book about the creation of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge now available for pre-order

Jobacca

Its REALLY frustrating to see so many amazing ideas in this book that didnt come to fruition. We really did get a bare bones stripped down version of what this land could have been 😕

M:SpilotISTC12

This is like reading the Trevorrow version of Episode 9. It was so much better than what we actually got. It's so sad to see such great ideas go to waste.

If nothing else it proves what the Bob's really think of us, the customer. Slap a Star Wars logo on some rock work, add a few trees, some blue milk and people will lose their minds. They don't need to actually invest the money to make something truly amazing and "out of this world". And why would they need to when the people will come anyway. If you want a real star wars experience go spend tons at the new Galactic Starcruiser!

JeffH

Galaxy's Edge is awesome. EVERY project brainstorms everything, then they decide on what goes in day one, what doesn't go in doesn't make it barebones (I think this was the most expensive addition ever?) nor does it make it bad. Rise of the Resistance is amazing and 'new', while Smuggler's Run is a great "D" attraction, BOTH of which put the guests into the Star Wars universe. The things in the book that were 'left out' day one are things to look forward to in the future (if they are truly worthy). Ironically leaving out the sitdown restaurant was VERY fortuitous as it would have been shuttered during Covid, Disney got lucky, and like the new 'western(?)' themed restaurant they are building in Toy Storyland (which you haters could have hated MUCH more than Galaxy's Edge for almost the same reason...1 simpleton roller coaster and a meh alien ride and only 1 minor eatery, yet it serves its purpose and was well done) the unbuilt restaurant in GE is a distinct possibility for us to look forward to as the land expands. People need to appreciate what there is and stop whining about what could have been. Hell, if Disney had his way there would have been NO Disney World at all, because all he wanted to build here was EPCOT (not the park), and only built the Magic Kingdom because his financiers insisted in order to finance any EPCOT he might want to build.

mary2013

This is like reading the Trevorrow version of Episode 9. It was so much better than what we actually got. It's so sad to see such great ideas go to waste.

If nothing else it proves what the Bob's really think of us, the customer. Slap a Star Wars logo on some rock work, add a few trees, some blue milk and people will lose their minds. They don't need to actually invest the money to make something truly amazing and "out of this world". And why would they need to when the people will come anyway. If you want a real star wars experience go spend tons at the new Galactic Starcruiser!
Wasn't the budget $1Billion? That's hardly not investing the money. And my understanding is that the land went overbudget, even with the cuts. IMO, the Bobs aren't to blame in this instance, it's WDI's inability to stick to a budget.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wasn't the budget $1Billion? That's hardly not investing the money. And my understanding is that the land went overbudget, even with the cuts. IMO, the Bobs aren't to blame in this instance, it's WDI's inability to stick to a budget.

The Bob’s weren’t willing to approve the extra $$ needed to fully flesh out the land. Yes, WDI’s profligate spending has a hand in the “incomplete” final product, but so do The Bob’s. Rockwork at WDI ain’t cheap and guess what they did a **** ton of in GE?

Stripes

Got the book about an hour ago. Did a quick flip through.

It’s a beautiful book. But, looking through it is a saddening experience. What could have been fills you with desire and hatred of what came to fruition.

I was really struck by the how much more ambitious the early concepts were. From the massive land entrance with a gorgeous sweeping archway, the scale and detail of various areas that didn’t make it, Savi’s was much, much more ambitious early on with a beautiful and tall cave where you would grab your crystal before proceeding to build your lightsaber, I could go on and on.

Whoever pulled the plug/cut a lot of these things should be fired.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

It’s a beautiful book. But, looking through it is a saddening experience. What could have been fills you with desire and hatred of what came to fruition.

I was really struck by the how much more ambitious the early concepts were. From the massive land entrance with a gorgeous sweeping archway, the scale and detail of various areas that didn’t make it, Savi’s was much, much more ambitious early on with a beautiful and tall cave where you would grab your crystal before proceeding to build your lightsaber, I could go on and on.

“You can’t fire me!”
29270EBD-3F40-4389-B113-20C1BE4BFBC4.jpeg

lazyboy97o

How about the people who spent one billion dollars and couldn’t deliver all of that?

UNCgolf

How about the people who spent one billion dollars and couldn’t deliver all of that?

Didn't Universal spend like half that amount (or maybe even less) to build Diagon Alley? And Diagon Alley far more impressive than Galaxy's Edge, although it only has one attraction to GE's two. That would account for some of the difference, but certainly not even close to the full amount.

EDIT: Actually I forgot they built the Hogwarts Express as part of Diagon Alley, which is only kind of an attraction IMO but still involved a lot of construction and expense.

Bleed0range

The biggest loss imo was that smugglers alley or bounty hunters alley concept… with the neon signs like the underbelly of Coruscant. That was like Galaxy Edge’s Nocturn Alley and would have really been a cool experience at night. I think it would have really helped them play up the Mandalorian’s popularity in the land too.

I also think the fallen Star Destroyer idea could have been better than what we got for the rebel base.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The biggest loss imo was that smugglers alley or bounty hunters alley concept… with the neon signs like the underbelly of Coruscant. That was like Galaxy Edge’s Nocturn Alley and would have really been a cool experience at night. I think it would have really helped them play up the Mandalorian’s popularity in the land too.

I also think the fallen Star Destroyer idea could have been better than what we got for the rebel base.

“misfire” is a word I cannot shake. Mostly character decisions

It’s almost as if universal went to the drawing board to build Harry Potter...and decided to use only the fantastic beast stuff.

makes perfect sense

Movielover

It’s almost as if universal went to the drawing board to build Harry Potter...and decided to use only the fantastic beast stuff.

makes perfect sense
Your comparison falls apart since all 3 of the current Wizarding Worlds including Diagon Ally expansion all were constructed and opened before the first Fantastic Beast movie was even released in late 2016. Galaxies Edge open during the middle of the Disney produced Trilogy, of course they were going to want to focus on it since that was the big new thing they were currently producing.

Lack of droids aside Galaxies Edge is still a very impressive land with arguably one of the best attractions Disney has created. Saying it's a failure is simply delusional.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Your comparison falls apart since all 3 of the current Wizarding Worlds including Diagon Ally expansion all were constructed and opened before the first Fantastic Beast movie was even released in late 2016. Galaxies Edge open during the middle of the Disney produced Trilogy, of course they were going to want to focus on it since that was the big new thing they were currently producing.

Lack of droids aside Galaxies Edge is still a very impressive land with arguably one of the best attractions Disney has created. Saying it's a failure is simply delusional.

nobody said “failure”

...and the rest is all your opinion.

we all “got one”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom