Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But that’s not the tactic.
It’s, “when you get vaccinated, you can socialize normally with other vaccinated people. When enough people get vaccinated, we can go back to normal as a society”

That seems like a really good reason to get vaccinated and to encourage your friends and family to get vaccinated.

I was just talking to a coworker about this. She has made it very clear to her relatives that if you are not vaccinated, you can't enter her house.

Heppenheimer

Ooh! Just got the NY Excelsior app and got proof of my vaccination (it adds a little virtual card to your phone with a bar code. For me it was added to the wallet in iOS). Took like 10 seconds. You just put your name, the day of your second shot, the county, and the maker of the vaccine. Easy-peasy!
Is this available to anyone who wants it, or just NY residents?

sullyinMT

I'd say that supporting those who contribute to that stupidity would be the first clue. A statement from just one or two people in the media that most of these people follow would do WONDERS. The sheep need shepherds they can trust... but that ain't gon' happen. Or better yet, folks in power whom these same people take seriously.

The world doesn't have to remain as it is. All we can do is attempt to keep the misinformed from remaining blissfully ignorant.
Unfortunately, probably not in a number of those cases. Ivanka got slammed for taking the vaccine, and her daddy wasn't exactly applauded for it, either. When I asked one cousin in particular why he wouldn't take a vaccine that was good enough for, pushed for development by, and even taken by DJT, Jr, his only response was that he was "shocked" by that action, and little if anything could be done to persuade him otherwise. He's a county C.O, so I'm really hoping either the state, county, or sheriff require it at some point so that he shuts up (or at least gets injected).

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Unfortunately, probably not in a number of those cases. Ivanka got slammed for taking the vaccine, and her daddy wasn't exactly applauded for it, either. When I asked one cousin in particular why he wouldn't take a vaccine that was good enough for, pushed for development by, and even taken by DJT, Jr, his only response was that he was "shocked" by that action, and little if anything could be done to persuade him otherwise. He's a county C.O, so I'm really hoping either the state, county, or sheriff require it at some point so that he shuts up (or at least gets injected).
Ok, all I can say at this point is to bribe them. I'm out of ideas.

correcaminos

About 3 million Americans are getting vaccinated daily, an 11 percent decrease in the seven-day average of daily shots administered over the past week. The unprecedented drop is rivaled only by a brief falloff that occurred in February, when...

Scores of counties from Iowa to Texas have begun to decline vaccineshipments, highlighting issues of hesitancy and barriers to health care thatmay hamper efforts to reach the levels of protection needed to halt the spread of the coronavirus....

Some counties with as few as a quarter of eligible residents fully vaccinated are seeing steady or even increasingcoronavirus infections, a harbinger of how inadequate coverage could allow the virus to spread. Most are relatively rural and overwhelmingly Republican. Health officials in these places said they had not expected such anti-vaccine antipathy.
time to dangle some carrots I think...

sullyinMT

This app is for NY but I'm sure other states (who take COVID seriously) will roll them out. So, not Florida.
Probably. But, I'd like to see the states that do use them allow me to update their app with my data. Like a visit to HI or to Broadway when they open. Or, should any of the Vegas venues adopt their use. Adding my "pass" to the MGM app, for example, would be awesome, even if I was in a state that didn't openly participate like NY is right now.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Ok, all I can say at this point is to bribe them. I'm out of ideas.
1619108308293.png

havoc315

Define outdoors. I still hold that Disney won't drop them - at the least until 2022. I just don't see how - even if they follow Dollywood's lead - Disney can guide the masses to exactly where and when to wear them. I don't know if people will be able to sit through a 2 minute announcement every 10 minutes.

Don’t think it’s that hard to tell people to please put on their mask as they enter s building.

mmascari

Also, if you want to persuade people to get vaccinated who might not otherwise, "get this shot and you still have to do all the stuff you've been doing for over a year that you hate" is not an effective tactic.

But that’s not the tactic.
It’s, “when you get vaccinated, you can socialize normally with other vaccinated people. When enough people get vaccinated, we can go back to normal as a society”

The only difference between these is the immediacy of the change in public.

That's the only difference between these two statements:
  • Get vaccinated, it'll reduce spread, when spread is reduced enough, no mitigations.
  • Get vaccinated, no mitigations.
People not getting vaccinated because it's the first instead of the second are extending the duration mitigations will be required. They're actively working against their desires because they cannot think beyond the immediate future.

The reverse, and what they're doing by not getting vaccinated is:
  • Don't get vaccinated, keep masking and other mitigations for even longer.

Nobody really wants that. But, that's the message they're sending is fine, by using this as an excuse.

lazyboy97o

Again, how so? I got the vaccine which makes me far less likely to get and spread COVID than I would have been unvaccinated and wearing a mask.
Because you’ve made it clear that you want to create conflict and confrontation. Others don’t know you are vaccinated, whether that is someone who is concerned or someone who is not vaccinated looking for social support to not comply.

DisneyCane

time to dangle some carrots I think...
Here's a little story to illustrate why I agree with you completely. I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine. He and his wife were scheduled to get the J&J shot a few days after they paused it (and both would have still gotten it knowing about the blood clots). They are very hesitant to get the mRNA shots due to a combination of misunderstanding how they work (thinking they modify your DNA) and feeling the development was rushed.

They aren't anti-vax people. In fact, they both recommended that their parents get the mRNA vaccine under the logic that they were at very high risk from COVID so the risk of the mRNA vaccine (from his perspective) was worth it for their parents.

He said he thought about maybe getting one of the mRNA vaccines but "why bother because they're just going to keep this stuff going," meaning the masks and restrictions that we had been discussing earlier.

The non-carrot messaging has been wrong from day one from Fauci on down. If the powers that be don't start dangling carrots real quick there is no chance of getting to herd immunity through vaccines.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Here's a little story to illustrate why I agree with you completely. I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine. He and his wife were scheduled to get the J&J shot a few days after they paused it (and both would have still gotten it knowing about the blood clots). They are very hesitant to get the mRNA shots due to a combination of misunderstanding how they work (thinking they modify your DNA) and feeling the development was rushed.

They aren't anti-vax people. In fact, they both recommended that their parents get the mRNA vaccine under the logic that they were at very high risk from COVID so the risk of the mRNA vaccine (from his perspective) was worth it for their parents.

He said he thought about maybe getting one of the mRNA vaccines but "why bother because they're just going to keep this stuff going," meaning the masks and restrictions that we had been discussing earlier.

The non-carrot messaging has been wrong from day one from Fauci on down. If the powers that be don't start dangling carrots real quick there is no chance of getting to herd immunity through vaccines.
You think those same people are going to allow their hard-earned money to be redistributed as carrots?

DisneyCane

Because you’ve made it clear that you want to create conflict and confrontation. Others don’t know you are vaccinated, whether that is someone who is concerned or someone who is not vaccinated looking for social support to not comply.
No, I don't want to create conflict. I'm not going to get into somebody's personal space. No need for anybody to confront me.

At this point half of the adults in my county have been vaccinated (and well over 80%+ of 65-84 year olds). I won't be sitting in a small room with a stranger or anything like that and I don't go anywhere that requires me to use an elevator.

I've even considered having some T-shirts printed that say "I'm fully vaccinated" with an image of my CDC card (with personal info blocked out).
You think those same people are going to allow their hard-earned money to be redistributed as carrots?
No. I mean carrots as in not having to follow mitigation.

sullyinMT

Most wouldn’t complain so long as they weren’t also phased out of the produce department. I’m guessing at least enough to make a difference.

Not all carrots need to be monetary, but if they were they really should apply to all. If we can give tax breaks to corporations for PTO then we can throw a carrot or two all the way down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom