News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

In regards to Tomorrowland, I think as a society our view of "The Future" ceases to be an inspiring vision of a technologically advanced , beautiful world, and is more about wars, violence and darkness ( with technology) How do we as a society turn that around to imagine a future world to aspire to...an inspirational view of the future... That seems to be what is lost today... We can't get there....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Support structure being removed from the TRON Lightcycle Run canopy​

Tron_Full_41708.jpg

Ripken10

One "insider" pointed out that they may be looking to start this back up sooner rather than later. So I disagree, "$$$" is not a reason for a pause at this juncture. I guess you could try to argue that money is a factor in anything (and one could do that) but at this point I don't see how a pause will save them or cost them money that they wouldn't already have had.

rle4lunch

One "insider" pointed out that they may be looking to start this back up sooner rather than later. So I disagree, "$$$" is not a reason for a pause at this juncture. I guess you could try to argue that money is a factor in anything (and one could do that) but at this point I don't see how a pause will save them or cost them money that they wouldn't already have had.

While Disney L U V S to protract their expenditures over multiple FY's, there has to be a downside on working up continual contracts that expire or need to be redone due to due dates coming and going, right? All that extra negotiation takes even more time and money. I don't claim to know what they lose out on (apparently not much, since they take half a decade to build a friggin rollercoaster), but I think it would be a desirement to get crap done on the proposed timetable (at all costs).

lazyboy97o

While Disney L U V S to protract their expenditures over multiple FY's, there has to be a downside on working up continual contracts that expire or need to be redone due to due dates coming and going, right? All that extra negotiation takes even more time and money. I don't claim to know what they lose out on (apparently not much, since they take half a decade to build a friggin rollercoaster), but I think it would be a desirement to get crap done on the proposed timetable (at all costs).
Even a bog standard AIA contract has clauses that allow and address how construction is paused and resumed. There’s really nothing to renegotiate.

rle4lunch

Even a bog standard AIA contract has clauses that allow and address how construction is paused and resumed. There’s really nothing to renegotiate.

My contractor relations differ, as one of my collateral duties for the Navy is being a COR/GGFR. Whenever a weapon system contract breaches certain dates, renegotiations happen. We have converted most contracts to FFP's, which is cheaper for the government, but gives no incentive either to finish early.

ppete1975

In regards to Tomorrowland, I think as a society our view of "The Future" ceases to be an inspiring vision of a technologically advanced , beautiful world, and is more about wars, violence and darkness ( with technology) How do we as a society turn that around to imagine a future world to aspire to...an inspirational view of the future... That seems to be what is lost today... We can't get there....
interesting point, oddly when we were the most optimistic is when the world seemed the most dangerous. The era between ww1 and vietnam was when the jet age, mid century architecture, atomic age tomorrowland and the jetsons all were. Buck rogers was during he great depression even.
epcot was during the cold war
Now we seem to be fighting ourselves, and we have been to space, mars doesnt seem like a big deal, we have the self driving electric vehicles, if something new comes out we all hear about it seconds later on our phones.
Before you might see the newest stuff once a year at a fair or hear about it on the nightly news.

The world has become much smaller, and it seems we are desensitized about new exciting stuff.. we expect it now

doctornick

Only in the sense that delaying is intended to bring in more revenues in the future. The thinking seemed to be that since they are attendance capped now, little reason to debut sparkly new toys when they won't be able to accommodate the additional demand. If there seems to be plans to open up to more people sooner - and that seems like the trend - perhaps they might/could complete the "paused" attractions earlier.

Deferring the spending into the relatively near future wouldn't really be that much savings, especially given how much has already been completed.

Skibum1970

I realize that it is hard to tell from photos but are they going to repaint that structure? It looks dirty and actually rusty in a few places.

ToTBellHop

For what it is worth, I heard today that they may, indeed, be pausing the pause...

MagicHappens1971

Only in the sense that delaying is intended to bring in more revenues in the future. The thinking seemed to be that since they are attendance capped now, little reason to debut sparkly new toys when they won't be able to accommodate the additional demand. If there seems to be plans to open up to more people sooner - and that seems like the trend - perhaps they might/could complete the "paused" attractions earlier.

Deferring the spending into the relatively near future wouldn't really be that much savings, especially given how much has already been completed.
Rumors and the facts point to pent-up demand, higher vaccination rates than anticipated and lower case numbers, may be causing a boost to capacity. Disney has already started to call back more cast, and has supposedly added more Park Pass availability for the summer. Rumblings also show that nighttime entertainment may be returning sooner than later. I can almost guarantee you, the old saying “if you build it, they will come” still stands. Will we be seeing Christmas Eve number capacity? No. Would opening up capacity and choosing not to drag their feet on two attractions that should’ve been open this year (Tron & GOTG) as well as Ratatouille help bring in more guests? Yes. I’m no insider and am just going off what I’ve read and past experience with the parks and what not. It is clear that Disney is terrified of a covid case being traced back to the parks and resorts, the NBA bubble showed that they have the logistical means and know how to prevent it. It was also probably a great PR boost for them, guests see that the NBA players spent weeks at WDW and almost no cases. I think there was one or two? I’m not disputing your claim and am just kind of adding my two cents. I responded to you because it was the most relevant

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom