Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Brer Oswald

I’m not saying these things were NEVER talked about but I don’t see how you can deny the main point in making. That the company decided to do a 180 over night and many people just went along with them as if they hadn’t been riding these rides and enjoying these attraction with their families without giving it a second thought. Some of those very people now question those of us who are a little confused or even go as far as call us insensitive or racist.
I honestly and truly think that many are doing it to avoid getting labeled as such themselves by those that really only know the issue on the surface level. Everyone on this board knew about the SotS connection, and everyone knew what they did to modify it so it wouldn’t offend people, and that’s why it was okay.

Really though, the lack of context provided for 30 years was an issue, and it’s something we should’ve fought for. The general public’s viewpoint is based on a severe lack of context. I’m not shocked. I’m not even angry. I’m just disappointed. In myself as well as in others.

Mickeyboof

Anyways, I wish Kim and the team could come spruce up Galaxy’s Edge with some fun moments. Does Kim have any say at California Adventure? Grizzly River Run also could feature some new moments thought the experience.

Id also love to see some updated materials in Space Mountain, but I’m sure it’s a waste to spend $$ on a land already on life-support.

DavidDL

Hey everyone! Discussion regarding the hanging man happening on other sites brought up an interesting possibility.

Now, I'm all for keeping the hanging man, personally. But Disney has an out for this scene, supposedly. One I wasn't even aware of until recently but one that as soon as I saw it, made me a little less worried, if they're willing to go this route.

So the Haunted Mansion in WDW apparently used to have a figure known as the "Spider-Web Man". Affectionately referred to as "Webster". One look at him and I realized what other folks were saying to be true; he could be a perfect replacement for the hanging man who effectively keeps the scene the same!

Webster.png

I know what I'm saying might sound like heresy to die-hard Mansion fans (I'm one myself) but I actually think he could be a suitable replacement for hanging scene if Disney actually decides to replace it, someday. Heck, they can even keep the same hanging figure!

I'd even go so far as to argue that this figure's positioning may be a bit better, visually for folks on the ground. In the current scene, if you're standing in the wrong spot when the reveal happens, you might not quite get a good view of the hanging man above you (his back may be to you) and some Guests may even question what they just saw (I've heard it a few times as a Mansion CM).

So, the spiel could remain the same.. ending with, "there's always, my way..". Lightning flash to the above scene, maybe with one of the previous windows to the outside world open and swaying in the wind. I think there's enough story told with that simple visual without needing too much explaining. The Spider-Web Man was trying to go for the window for a way out but ended up getting caught in the spider's web and perished instead. You don't even need a spider present to make the scene work. It just kinda, would.

Here's his wiki page if anyone is interested: https://hauntedmansion.fandom.com/wiki/Spider-Web_Man

Don't shoot me for bringing this up for feeling this way. I'm just trying to keep a positive mindset for what will likely be something that changes someday.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

shoot, im all for getting rid of casey jr/storybook land/FL theater/IASW and replacing them with other things haha

I hope I'm alive for the replacement of the FL Theatre. Absolutely a wasted space. However, aren't the Canal Boats just too splendid to remove?! I think so! It actually is the perfect berm/buffer between Fantasyland and a future show building.

As for IASW, it is absolutely wonderful in Paris, I ride it many times when visiting. If DL's got a real gutting and rebuild (and maybe smaller/shorter) that would make me a happy guy. I think now more than ever we as a humanity should be reminded how small our little world actually is.

Mickeyboof

Hey everyone! Discussion regarding the hanging man happening on other sites brought up an interesting possibility.

Now, I'm all for keeping the hanging man, personally. But Disney has an out for this scene, supposedly. One I wasn't even aware of until recently but one that as soon as I saw it, made me a little less worried, if they're willing to go this route.

So the Haunted Mansion in WDW apparently used to have a figure known as the "Spider-Web Man". Affectionately referred to as "Webster". One look at him and I realized he could be a replacement for the hanging man who effectively keeps the scene the same!

View attachment 548759

I know what I'm saying might sound like heresy to die-hard Mansion fans (I'm one myself) but I actually think he could be a suitable replacement for hanging scene if Disney actually decides to replace it, someday. Heck, they can even keep the same hanging figure!

I'd even go so far as to argue that this figure's positioning may be a bit better, visually for folks on the ground. In the current scene, if you're standing in the wrong spot when the reveal happens, you might not quite get a good view of the hanging man above you (his back may be to you) and some Guests may even question what they just saw (I've heard it a few times as a Mansion CM).

So, the spiel could remain the same.. ending with, "there's always, my way..". Lightning flash to the above scene, maybe with one of the previous windows to the outside world open and swaying in the wind. I think there's enough story told with that simple visual without needing too much explaining. The Spider-Web Man was trying to go for the window for a way out but ended up getting caught in the spider's web and perished instead. You don't even need a spider present to make the scene work. It just kinda, would.

Here's his wiki page if anyone is interested: https://hauntedmansion.fandom.com/wiki/Spider-Web_Man

Don't shoot me for bringing this up for feeling this way. I'm just trying to keep a positive mindset for what will likely be something that changes someday.

I actually adore that idea! On my first few times on the Haunted Mansion, I had no clue it was a hanging man. The figure is too thin and not lit well enough to discern in the brief flash of lighting.

I wouldn't mind a "scene" like the web man. Very good point!

PiratesMansion

The origin of the stories isn’t debatable. Disney is going to make the decision they think is best for the financials. It is what it is, but I’ve seen fans that know better go along with it like it’s a wonderfully moral decision. Is it just to save face?

The fact that the general public isn’t looking at the actual issue isn’t surprising. I can’t blame the general public because they obviously aren’t focused on niche Brer Rabbit history. Again, it’s the Disney Fans and others that know better that disappoint me the most. Because yes, it is difficult to stand up and question, especially when the consensus wants to unrightfully label you as something evil. It’s hard, and yet some of us do it anyways, without hurting or attacking, because we know it’s right. There people that know, don’t care, and are complicit. Life isn’t fair, but that doesn’t mean you sit down and take it.

There are certainly people that just care about the ride, and not the underlying issues I talked about. Their lack of care doesn’t make others’ lack of care justified.
I don't agree, but perhaps better to leave it here for now.
I’m not saying these things were NEVER talked about but I don’t see how you can deny the main point in making. That the company decided to do a 180 over night and many people just went along with them as if they hadn’t been riding these rides and enjoying these attraction with their families without giving it a second thought. Some of those very people now question those of us who are a little confused or even go as far as call us insensitive or racist.

Did we all see the dress code change announcement? So if understand correctly, Male CMs can wear nail polish now at Disneyland? Like 2 days ago they couldn't have a beard.
The beards thing changed a few years ago, at least out at WDW. But I'll admit that keeping up with what exactly CMs can and can't wear isn't really something I've made any effort to track.

I disagree that the 180 was overnight. There was likely a lot of discussion involved in making that change, and even the Disney of today wouldn't just suddenly decide on a day's notice they're changing something because of what's on Twitter, as is often the accusation. Just because we weren't watching the discussions as if it was live feeds of the Big Brother house doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Disney has a history of doing this, swearing up and down that change isn't coming right up until the moment it happens, or giving short to no notice on things like this. For example, they announced that Alien Encounter at WDW would close to be replaced by Stitch "later this month" but in fact closed it three days after the press release put out. Or they closed 20,000 Leagues in the same park "for rehab" only for it to never open again. Not something I agree with, but just pointing out that this isn't unprecedented, that we are only given relevant info after the fact.

And again, I see no one that is like "serve Splash Mountain right, it deserved to close, ride bad or problematic!!1!1!" as it is often characterized here. Maybe on Twitter, maybe on the WDW side of the boards, but not here. I do see a number of people that have said something to the effect of, "I love Splash Mountain, but I understand." Understanding doesn't necessarily mean endorsement or that they suddenly believe that Splash is the most poisoned thing in the history of poisoned things.
Really though, the lack of context provided for 30 years was an issue, and it’s something we should’ve fought for. The general public’s viewpoint is based on a severe lack of context. I’m not shocked. I’m not even angry. I’m just disappointed. In myself as well as in others.
And I 100% agree. Had Disney done a better job of providing that context, we wouldn't be here.

PiratesMansion

So the Haunted Mansion in WDW apparently used to have a figure known as the "Spider-Web Man". Affectionately referred to as "Webster". One look at him and I realized he could be a replacement for the hanging man who effectively keeps the scene the same!

View attachment 548759

I like it, but I'm not sure I buy that a man would die from getting caught in a Spider's Web unless it was truly an extraordinarily-large and deadly looking spider web. Maybe if it's particularly solid-looking?

I would only endorse this if it's super, super readable. Which I'm not sure they can pull off, seeing that even the people behind Phantom Manor in 1992 couldn't communicate super clearly what was happening with the Phantom in the stretch room there.

But I'm sure they could do a lot worse.

yensidtlaw1969

I like it, but I'm not sure I buy that a man would die from getting caught in a Spider's Web unless it was truly an extraordinarily-large and deadly looking spider web. Maybe if it's particularly solid-looking?

I would only endorse this if it's super, super readable. Which I'm not sure they can pull off, seeing that even the people behind Phantom Manor in 1992 couldn't communicate super clearly what was happening with the Phantom in the stretch room there.

But I'm sure they could do a lot worse.
What wasn't clear at Phantom Manor? The Phantom was hanging Melanie's fiance.

I was 10 the first time I rode Phantom Manor and I got it instantly, and I had walked in those doors expecting the ride itself to be identical to the other Mansions. Walking into the room and seeing totally new versions of the Stretching Paintings threw me for a total loop. That I didn't understand the French narration didn't help - but when the lights flashed up above the story became clear.

That said, I do somewhat doubt the ability of the current crop of Imagineers to put a new cap on the Stretch Room experience that does all the things the current one does. Though I understand the impulse behind questioning if it should change.

Professortango1

Then people might as well be in favor of the complete removal of PotC and the HM. Plus, CoP was closed decades, upon decades ago for a reason, and it was simply moved to WDW for General Electric's product placement. Not because Disney felt, that just after a few years of it being at DLR, that it had no place in the Disney Brand. Splash isn't being completely razed and replaced with something that'll be the polar opposite of a flume ride, same goes for ToT (take an attraction with good bones and rework it because said attraction can be flexible with multiple themes due to the thrill factor). People Mover was just an unfortunate victim to the Pressler era, and at the time, during the mid 90s, was no where near the level of iconic-ness IASW has always had. It has gained popularity over the years though pop culture and a fascination for extinct attractions through the internet.

HM and POTC have received plussing to make the attraction more attractive to modern guests. IASW tried plugging in Disney cameos, but the ride still feels very dated.

As the park approaches 75 years old, we'll begin to see more and more classic attractions go by the wayside. It makes sense. While I love old movies and vintage stuff, most people are attracted to more modern storytelling. Disney wants to market to families. That means parents 18-45 and their kids. If they find that kids/parents no longer care about a ride, they aren't going to care what a small vocal group of diehards think. It will be hard to see old friends taken away. Its why I no longer feel DCA is worth visiting as so little of what I loved about it remains. But, that's life. My mom missed Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland but grew to love Big Thunder.

DavidDL

Maybe not a singular, giant spider but the Mansion certainly has them. -and they've done work on the house before. Maybe for the stretching room, they actually try next time? ;)

Picture216.jpg
Picture219.jpg

Picture222.jpg

Brer Oswald

HM and POTC have received plussing to make the attraction more attractive to modern guests. IASW tried plugging in Disney cameos, but the ride still feels very dated.

As the park approaches 75 years old, we'll begin to see more and more classic attractions go by the wayside. It makes sense. While I love old movies and vintage stuff, most people are attracted to more modern storytelling. Disney wants to market to families. That means parents 18-45 and their kids. If they find that kids/parents no longer care about a ride, they aren't going to care what a small vocal group of diehards think. It will be hard to see old friends taken away. Its why I no longer feel DCA is worth visiting as so little of what I loved about it remains. But, that's life. My mom missed Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland but grew to love Big Thunder.
Disney’s brand relies on nostalgia. The new stuff may entice a new trip, but the old stuff is their life blood.

Think about it. People pay the insane prices because of the reputation. Where does the reputation come from? Their Classic attractions.

They come out with a few new winners every now and then, but the back catalogue is important.

Small World is one of those classic attractions. It may be removed...through a smear campaign, but it’s not going to get “Mine Train’d” or “Universe of Energy’d”.

Homemade Imagineering

IASW is a part of DLR's identity, especially with its current age. Most examples of classic attractions being gutted occurred decades ago (Adventure through Inner Space, the Mine Train, Mission to Mars) when said attractions weren't nearly as iconic as IASW, HM or PotC at their time of removal. Therefore, whenever people make the argument that they've "done it before," it isn't relevant to IASW or any other classic above the age of 50, because those removals occurred long ago for specific reasons. I believe, once an attraction reaches its 50th anniversary, its unlikely to go away due to its impact on pop culture. IASW is a pop culture giant, many think of the attraction whenever they think of DLR.

The song itself is incredibly famous in its own right, the capacity is amazing, and it has stood the test of time now for decades, and shows no signs of slowing down. If they feel they need to update the attraction from a technological standpoint, then that'll probably be their first option before doing away with it all together. The concept itself is quite possibly the most timeless thing in a Disney park.

Last edited:

DavidDL

The thing about so many of these classic, IP-less attractions, is that thankfully, over time, they've become the IP.

Pirates of the Caribbean, it's a small world, and Haunted Mansion have reached the level of affiliation with Disney as a brand as characters like Mickey Mouse. Think about it. You go into your local Target and there are Hitchhiking Ghost Funko pops.

It's part of the reason why I don't see them leaving in my life time but I could always be wrong. They've also got enough character connection to IP (Pirates with Sparrow, HM with Nightmare and iasw with, everything now) that I don't think Disney has their sights set on them yet. They would need to completely fade from public consciousness to even be considered for removal, which they aren't close to yet.

Even though small world ends up being the butt of pop culture jokes about it's "annoying" song or like in Family Guy, where they kidnap children and force them to be the dancing AAs, that's still pop culture exposure. That sort of thing keeps these attractions around longer so I hope it doesn't stop.

Homemade Imagineering

It may be removed...through a smear campaign
Such a campaign would fail miserably, and wouldn't get anywhere. Disney themselves would have a difficult time justifying its removal, and IASW isn't connected to anything problematic or taboo like SM was. SotS is commonly known as the "super mega racist taboo" film in Disney's library. It's incredibly infamous, and SM being connected to the film, has been awaiting its current fate for decades now. IASW is an attraction all about world peace.

That's something difficult to ignore when justifying its removal due to its somewhat unrealistic depiction of cultures. The attraction is literally saying "don't be racist." Sure, a few twitter users may scrutinize the attraction for such depictions, but such a claim would be shot down immediately before even making the rounds on the internet, or gaining any sort of reasonable traction. People will complain about almost anything nowadays with the advent of social media. That doesn't always mean such complaints are addressed, especially those with minimal pieces of evidence.

Brer Oswald

Such a campaign would fail miserably, and wouldn't get anywhere. Disney themselves would have a difficult time justifying its removal, and IASW isn't connected to anything problematic or taboo like SM was. SotS is commonly known as the "super mega racist taboo" film in Disney's library. It's incredibly infamous, and SM being connected to the film, has been awaiting its current fate for decades now. IASW is an attraction all about world peace.

That's something difficult to ignore when justifying its removal due to its somewhat unrealistic depiction of cultures. The attraction is literally saying "don't be racist." Sure, a few twitter users may scrutinize the attraction for such depictions, but such a claim would be shot down immediately before even making the rounds on the internet, or gaining any sort of reasonable traction. People will complain about almost anything nowadays with the advent of social media. That doesn't always mean such complaints are addressed.
I get where you’re coming from. What you’re saying isn’t completely accurate, and I know you’d like to believe it would never happen (as would I). But just as the main incentive behind the Splash smear campaign was getting a PatF attraction, so too could be the case of iasw with any IP.

A lot of millennials and zoomers find the ride annoying. That’s another incentive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom