News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

George Lucas on a Bench

First beards, now tattoos. When I worked there, I couldn't have hair of any decent length without having to wear a hat of shame for the day and getting a reprimand from the higher-ups. But that's now Walt wanted it and I respected it. It's only a matter of time until green-haired pierced Hot Topic creeps are welcoming me to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Angel Ariel

Well, if that graphic of the updated keys is accurate, it seems 'Inclusion' is now ahead of 'Show'.

So in regards to the Disney Look, I am going to again assume it's about including looks that are not really covered, and allowing for more leeway.

Definitely a step forward on the inclusion front. And I bet it won't actually take away from the show in any way, as some seem to be insinuating.
True inclusion rarely if ever actually takes anything away from anyone, though there are always many concerns it will.

disneygeek90

Quite honestly this goes farther than I would have expected. One major unanswered question--if they have eliminated gender-specific references, does this apply to onstage costumes? I knew a young woman who worked at Haunted Mansion who hated the maid's costume, but they wouldn't let her wear the butler's costume unless she identified as transgender. I know a guy who wears business casual at TDA who can't wait to rock his kilt!

Things are about to get VERY colorful! LOL
She seems like the exact person that this was targeted for. I hope she’s in a butler costume soon.

waltography

Quite honestly this goes farther than I would have expected. One major unanswered question--if they have eliminated gender-specific references, does this apply to onstage costumes? I knew a young woman who worked at Haunted Mansion who hated the maid's costume, but they wouldn't let her wear the butler's costume unless she identified as transgender. I know a guy who wears business casual at TDA who can't wait to rock his kilt!

Things are about to get VERY colorful! LOL
I'd hope yes. The Disney Look guidelines don't mention anything gender-specific with either onstage or offstage costumes; however, they do mention that exceptions to the guidelines can be based on "food safety guidelines, operational/attraction-specific safety measures, or the story and character-based needs of various Entertainment roles." They defer to the attractions leaders to make the judgment call, so it may be on a location-by-location basis.

Angel Ariel

Interesting these are the examples Disney PR has put out. There are no visible tattoos, no piercings, no gauges, no one is wearing nail polish, and there are no men wearing make up or skirts.
Um - the person all the way to the left has a visible tattoo on her wrist, the woman wearing the hijab has dark nail polish on, and the guy at the right has piercings and black nail polish....

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
First beards, now tattoos. When I worked there, I couldn't have hair of any decent length without having to wear a hat of shame for the day and getting a reprimand from the higher-ups. But that's now Walt wanted it and I respected it. It's only a matter of time until green-haired pierced Hot Topic creeps are welcoming me to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.
Why is someone with green hair and piercings who works at Hot Topic a creep?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If they let a boy have long hair, then he looks like a girl! And I won't know whether that person is a boy or girl!!!

If i don't know if they're a boy or girl, how will I know whether to treat that cast member with respect or not??!!1!1!?

And how will I know whether I should aggressively flirt with that CM or not without their consent??!!??!!

This is the worst thing in the world. Worse than a world wide pandemic!!!1!!1!!1

TrainsOfDisney

The fandom has toxic parts to it that no one wants to address, not least of which the company.
???

What made me fall in love with the Disney company was the Disney difference. That included so many things like hiding infrastructure for parades and night time shows and the professional appearance of cast members.

It was literally called “the Disney look”

So as a Disney fan.. I can’t be sad that the Disney Look is going away without being toxic?

(It’s been going away for a while... not just facial hair. The dumbing down of costumes as well although now and then we get a new one that is nice, the new monorail costumes I like better than the maroon pants look).

OrlandoRising

I would expect a Disney/theme park-centric forum would be excluded from the extreme toxicity of other social media platforms when it comes to issues other than the theme parks but they are here.
You must have missed the last year of COVID deniers and anti-maskers on here.

I told you all. They will come for Walt and here is the proof. The foundations of Disney is despised by these ‘fans’.

Why should the opinions of a man who died 55 years ago dictate the standards of dress for anyone in 2021? When Disneyland opened in 1955, would you have forced employees to adhere to dress code or social norms circa 1900?

It's a ridiculous straw man argument anyway. If you want that, go read WDW Pro's rants.

waltography

???

What made me fall in love with the Disney company was the Disney difference. That included so many things like hiding infrastructure for parades and night time shows and the professional appearance of cast members.

It was literally called “the Disney look”

So as a Disney fan.. I can’t be sad that the Disney Look is going away without being toxic?

(It’s been going away for a while... not just facial hair. The dumbing down of costumes as well although now and then we get a new one that is nice, the new monorail costumes I like better than the maroon pants look).
I'm confused why you interpreted my message to be about you. I'm not saying you can't be sad that the Disney Look going away - I obviously disagree, but that's not toxic. What is toxic is presenting bad-faith strawman arguments and saying it's "foretelling the downfall of the company" as some posters here have done.

TheMaxRebo

I’ll say if I had a beard and I wanted a job and they said no beards, I’d shave . I would t cry or become a victim.

Which you are of course within your rights to do as is that company

But if a someone who would be an asset to that company chose not to shave but instead went to their competition who was fine with the beard that would be a benefit to the 2nd company and to the detriment of the first

Personally I'd rather Disney have the best CMs possible regardless of their looks

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why should the opinions of a man who died 55 years ago dictate the standards of dress for anyone in 2021? When Disneyland opened in 1955, would you have forced employees to adhere to dress code or social norms circa 1900?

It's a ridiculous straw man argument anyway. If you want that, go read WDW Pro's rants.

This is a ridiculous comparison of unlike things. The brand image Walt built was not built by looking bacwards 55 years.. he built a brand image of his choosing. To try to take time shifted since, to have any say in how he chose his brand image is comparing apples and bricks. A logical fallacy.

But by your logic... why should anyone care about ideas if the person is more than 50 years ago. Guess that whole concept of the founding fathers must really feel pointless in your take on things.. I mean after all, ideas from almost 250 years ago! Pointless! Throwing out ideas simply because of age...

Yes things should adapt with current society - but one must also decide what things are core to your brand or company's ideals... Chose wisely.

Disney Analyst

Which you are of course within your rights to do as is that company

But if a someone who would be an asset to that company chose not to shave but instead went to their competition who was fine with the beard that would be a benefit to the 2nd company and to the detriment of the first

Personally I'd rather Disney have the best CMs possible regardless of their looks

Not like there’s been a push by some outside bearded group to have Disney relax the look book.

Or any huge outside group for that matter.

Disney is doing this because they want to, likely based on feedback from their own CM’s and consultants they’ve brought in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom