Trip Report **COMPLETED** 364 Days and 8 Canceled Trips Later !

HI EVERYONE!!! I AM BACK AFTER A VERY LONG ABSENCE FROM THE BOARDS!!! WOOHOO! (sorry to all the trip reports I missed)

There were many days when I did not feel like this day would ever come. I am very good at compartmentalizing my life and hiding my emotions - it’s a bad coping mechanism I learned in residency. However, COVID got to me. Every single day was exhausting. For months and months and months. I think there were periods of time I worked more than I even worked in residency. I could not even feel that sad about not being on vacation because I was so burnt out. AND, I don’t even work in a hospital so I can’t even imagine what those healthcare workers were feeling. For weeks (really months) I did not sleep. I constantly worried about my patients who were sick and after treating/testing my own COVID patients I was terrified I would give it to my family.
A3F8A3DA-B09B-4354-A58E-674021929BE9.jpeg

01D08CF0-281C-4091-96F1-319E1B8DA870.jpeg

The few times I would go somewhere that felt fun I stressed for weeks after that it was a mistake. I obviously did not plan on going into medicine and having to deal with a pandemic. There was no outlet and we talked about it at work over and over again how none of us could leave or escape because of all the travel restrictions. Even when we were “off” there was no true mental break. I tried to make my YouTube videos and work on my Instagram, but I just wasn’t really into it. I was angry at people who got to go to Disney. I was jealous but I also felt like it was so irresponsible to travel during the big surges. I had way too many patients who got sick after travel so it just made me anxious to see it more than anything. My Mom would constantly tell me she was depressed that she could not be in Disney and I just did not feel the same way. I knew I would be anxious the whole time being there. But…then a ray of light hit in the form of a vaccine. I was so happy to receive my first dose right before Christmas. It was truly the best Christmas gift.
4BE62FEF-1D8C-4DF2-9952-C538DCD2AADC.jpeg

Then - my Mom was able to get hers too because she works in the dental field. A few weeks after my first shot (and a very depressing holiday season because I was quarantined after a work exposure) one of my co-workers who runs all our COVID stuff told me we could go to Florida since we were both vaccinated (and fully vaccinated before we leave). It was a shock, but we were both so excited! I still was not 100 percent ready to go without doing my research. The UK strain made me super anxious so I studied the numbers, the data, the vaccine efficacy against it etc and I felt like it was OK to go. I also asked all my co-workers and did as much due diligence as I could. Everyone told me go!!

WHO?: The usual....my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
Photo from our last trip before COVID
616D5A02-0E9B-47E4-9A24-6D7994E124EA.jpeg

When?
February 19 - February 27, 2021 (took me a bit to get this TR started)

Where?
Yacht Club :) Nice AP deal!

February 19, 2021 - Day 1
Our flight was not until a little bit later in the morning, but one of the few things that kept me sane this last year was working out so I kept on my regular schedule and got up at 5 am to work out.
Airport ready!
tempImageG4cVK9.jpg

Then I had a work meeting at 7 am so I listened to that while waiting for my parents to pick me up!
My meeting went extra long so it lasted the whole drive to the airport, but at least I did not have time to get nervous along the way!
Guys...we were so out of practice for travel. I do not travel lightly and usually my Mom takes some of my stuff but this time she did not since we really did not decide we were officially going until right before the trip. So, both of my suitcases weighed 53 pounds :hilarious:. I was honesty going to pay the fee because I was so embarrassed, but my Mom was like absolutely not so we shuffled some things around. Then I thought TSA pre-check was closed so I took out all my electronics but I actually just missed the sign pointing us to the new location. Lastly, I forgot to take my backpack off when going through security. My Mom and I often said to each other this trip "what are you new?!" which we ended up abbreviating to "WAYN." :happy::joyfull:
Anyway....we eventually made it through security. A lot of stuff at the Buffalo Airport is still closed, but thankfully our usual go to bagel place was still open.
I made us drink emergen-c (and I packed us full of vitamins this whole trip).
tempImageC9cCJ1.jpg

Look how cute this bagel individualized packet is! I am a germaphobe by nature (before it was cool to be one) so this made me giddy :p
tempImagela85RY.jpg

tempImagesQZzlK.jpg

Side note...I took a lot of phone pictures this trip because I got lazy.
Apparently I forgot to take a photo of the actual bagel but a bagel is a bagel!
After our breakfast we headed to the gate. Our plane was already there!
tempImage5sMMoA.jpg

Squished face from the N95 under my surgical mask :)
tempImage6yzKCu.jpg

Next up: more travel

slipperalwaysfits

I realized just as our Uber was about to come that I forgot my wallet. I really hoped it did not mater that I did not have my license because the drink I thought about all year long was the blueberry lemon drop martini from California Grill.
GGGGGGGGGrrrrrrr...how frustrating! I can't believe you risked it and then got lucky!! :geek: :geek: It's nice to look young! I look forward to the alchy drinks all year, too. I'm going to have to try the lemon drop martini next time!
Well wouldn't you know we had this older woman as our waitress and when I ordered my drink she asked for my ID. I made a good show out of it pretending to look through my bag and saying "oh shoot I don't have it I guess I will order a pop." She was like you don't have it?! I said I switched bags. She said well we card anyone under 30, so you should always have ID. My Mom said well she is 32 so....
Waitress says well you do not look that old. I say I am that old. Long story short she lets me order the drink

These little condiment plates/cups are so cute but I feel like they must create so much work!
I feel like these little touches are part of the "Disney magic!"

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I love your photo shoots!! I'm sure your mom doesn't mind too much. I make R do the same, and he is sometimes visibly annoyed with me :hilarious: I'm ready for LP to be old enough to take them for me, or just be in them with me all the time. Right now she wants nothing to do with picture taking.

Haha train her young so she doesn't mind taking them!!

GGGGGGGGGrrrrrrr...how frustrating! I can't believe you risked it and then got lucky!! :geek: :geek: It's nice to look young! I look forward to the alchy drinks all year, too. I'm going to have to try the lemon drop martini next time!

I feel like these little touches are part of the "Disney magic!"

They are little touches! I know I didn't think my pretending to look for my wallet would work :hilarious: But I mean its not like I was lying I have been able to legally drink for 11 years :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
We headed to the DVC lounge after Figment!
tempImage13aq8W.jpg

They have assigned tables named after DVC resorts in an effort to space everyone out! There was really no one else up there anyway!
tempImageFGC3kX.jpg

tempImagej2caIz.jpg

We got some pop and cheese its :)
tempImageMb9V8L.jpg

tempImage7Llv7u.jpg

tempImage0k1cAt.jpg

After our break we headed back over to World Showcase
tempImagednA3E8.jpg

We wanted to try a few more festival foods but first.....
ALMOND CAKE :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
tempImagecMBmP6.jpg

Then I tried the Chile Relleno: Fried Poblano Pepper filled with Flank Steak, Black Beans and Tomatoes drizzled with a Poblano Cream Sauce
BD75C42E-1C93-4928-900A-55170E80A7F5_1_201_a.jpeg

This was just OK...would probably not get it again.

Next up: More Epcot

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
The weather was SO nice. We were so happy to just sit in the sun and enjoy!
tempImageTWpV2C.jpg

After this we wandered around some of the pavilions making our way towards Italy.
We were stuck behind a character cavalcade for awhile so I pretended like I was in a parade :hilarious:
tempImage8Fm6gy.jpg

Anyway we eventually made it to Italy.
We got the Arancini: Sweet Sausage fried Risotto Balls with Pomodoro Sauce
tempImageuYfUtd.jpg

And two Italian Margaritas (with Tequila and Limoncello)
tempImageFNojTj.jpg

The Arancini was :grumpy:
A woman near us asked if it was good an I said no. She said OK I heard multiple people say that so we will skip it!
I can not even say why it was not good, it just wasn't. And I normally love arancini !
The margaritas were great though! It was so nice and felt so normal to be sitting in the sun enjoying a cocktail!
tempImageIFy7bW.jpg

26E3A05C-7A61-482F-ADF3-101A6DDC4056.jpeg

After our drinks we explored a few more pavilions.
I recently got into Animal Crossing on my switch so I was happy to see these guys :)
tempImageDOMo7p.jpg

I sent this photo to my friend who loves Pokemon
tempImage4bjdO5.jpg

After this we headed towards the exit with some PP pictures along the way.
5907D4A6-E91F-412D-B535-A8B3DC060BF5.jpeg
919518BA-FCF5-4462-987E-EB4CD8723AD2.jpeg

Next up: pool time!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
Up until this point we had not been to the pool because it was not super duper warm out. This day, however, was perfect so we headed down to Stormalong Bay!
1EC14AA6-034B-4E73-989F-D7B2EC88D136.jpeg

78 degrees may be cool to some, but it was great for us! It was still snowing and freezing back home!
tempImageExfNSi.jpg
tempImage7rqKqa.jpg
tempImagemB73Fz.jpg

We spent some time relaxing, going down the slide and just enjoying some sun filled mask free time!
After our break we headed upstairs so I could do some work.
Proof that I do actually do work on vacation :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
tempImage1JAAkb.jpg

I sent that photo to some work friends who yelled at me for doing work :hilarious:
Anyway...after this we got dressed and ready to head back to Epcot.
Another balcony photoshoot.
tempImagezx16DO.jpg

tempImagen94Wce.jpg

Then we walked back to Epcot.
Our plan was to ride Test Track but it was closed due to lightening so...back to Living with the Land.
tempImageJ7x8qs.jpg
tempImagezSYCv9.jpg

We sent this photo to my sister Jill who loves Living with the Land (and my Mom clearly does not :joyfull: )
tempImageR7Jlqa.jpg

Next up: more Epcot

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
More Living with the Land
tempImageZfjsf3.jpg

tempImagelSb1cJ.jpg

tempImagegJFp8z.jpg

tempImagezOXLIK.jpg

We still had quite a bit of time before dinner so we headed on The Seas again
tempImageZuSGPO.jpg

tempImage9GPMez.jpg

Then a Photopass Picture!
0EECF1B6-0266-43EC-B7B5-A6BB5944C126.jpeg

43AEABEA-EE0E-4074-87A5-0AF68FA7A4F3.jpeg

We never really spend time in the Pavilions so we decided to do that. We spent an especially long time in China!
tempImageuUbEJy.jpg

tempImagerpCY5S.jpg

Next up: more Epcot

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
tempImagemuktKP.jpg

tempImage10ol1u.jpg
tempImage5nF7Vt.jpg

After our mini photo shoot we wandered over towards dinner.
The train was not running :(
tempImage80sIyB.jpg

Our dinner was in Italy so we headed there. We explored some of the shops and then....took more photos :inlove:
tempImagekjXn7o.jpg
tempImage7RGoIB.jpg

We checked in for our dinner at Via Napoli ! Since they are not Disney owned we had to actually check-in in person. Weird!
A light for you...
tempImagefpgdlL.jpg

Thankfully we did not have a long wait because we were starving :)
tempImageNsHLvY.jpg

tempImageYSq4UI.jpg

Next up: more Via Napoli

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
We got nervous because we did not see pepperoni pizza on the menu and we love the pepperoni at Via Napoli. Probably because it's like pepperoni at home (and its a Buffalo company owned restaurant so go figure :hilarious: ).
Thankfully we could still get it if we built our own pizza !
So we got pepperoni and olives - it was SO good!
tempImage6ualL9.jpg

This was the one place where it really occurred to me that the countries were staffed with regular CMs instead of the college program CMs. It was weird to see Americans working here!
Anyway after our delicious pizza we headed out of Epcot
tempImagexLEP9x.jpg
tempImagen5LC4R.jpg

A light for you...
tempImageiFjWTR.jpg

tempImage9XRZDn.jpg

It was still a bit early so we headed to our usual go-to evening Boardwalk drink spot - AbracadaBar!
Another light
tempImageMXcvJ7.jpg

We both ordered the Conjurita (El Mayor Tequila, Cointreau, Simple Syrup, Lime Juice)
tempImagevA1CJv.jpg

So yummy!
tempImagedTTBHs.jpg

tempImagedUNcIW.jpg

We did just eat a full meal but we also ordered the Abra Fries(Parmesan Cheese, Truffle Oil, Meyer Lemon Aïoli ). These are SO good -we can't pass them up!
tempImageHJTZe1.jpg

Our drinks and fries were great but we were seated across from a couple and a fellow Mom and daughter duo. They had just met each other and were getting uncomfortably close (and drunk). It was a very awkward situation so we drank our drinks and got out of there!

Next up: Day 5

Songbird76

Day 4 continued
View attachment 543583
After this we wandered around some of the pavilions making our way towards Italy.
We were stuck behind a character cavalcade for awhile so I pretended like I was in a parade :hilarious:
View attachment 543579
Anyway we eventually made it to Italy.
We got the Arancini: Sweet Sausage fried Risotto Balls with Pomodoro Sauce
View attachment 543580
And two Italian Margaritas (with Tequila and Limoncello)
View attachment 543581
The Arancini was :grumpy:
A woman near us asked if it was good an I said no. She said OK I heard multiple people say that so we will skip it!
I can not even say why it was not good, it just wasn't. And I normally love arancini !
The margaritas were great though! It was so nice and felt so normal to be sitting in the sun enjoying a cocktail!
View attachment 543582
View attachment 543584
After our drinks we explored a few more pavilions.
I recently got into Animal Crossing on my switch so I was happy to see these guys :)
View attachment 543585
I sent this photo to my friend who loves Pokemon
View attachment 543586
After this we headed towards the exit with some PP pictures along the way.
View attachment 543588View attachment 543590

Next up: pool time!
My daughter loves your dress by the way...so cute!!

Was that the Japan pavilion with all the stuffed animals? My eyes were drawn to the Mario on Yoshi's back....my son loves Yoshi. Then you took the picture of the Pokemon and it kind of made me frustrated that they have them now! 2 years ago, when we went to Disney and Universal, we ate at Chuy's one night and there was a guy making balloon animals. He made a Pikachu for our son, and he LOVED that thing. We had warned him that we wouldn't be able to take it with us on the plane, but we still had like...a week, so we weren't too worried. Then check-out day came and he was so upset about not being able to take it with us. We told him we would look for a stuffed pikachu for him and we went EVERYWHERE and could not find one anywhere. And now I see this picture with TONS of them.

Dory71

Y'all hit two of our faves... Via Napoli and the Abracadabar! Last time we ordered the flat breads which were delicious but the smell of the Abra Fries was to die for. It is on our list for a future visit.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
My daughter loves your dress by the way...so cute!!

Was that the Japan pavilion with all the stuffed animals? My eyes were drawn to the Mario on Yoshi's back....my son loves Yoshi. Then you took the picture of the Pokemon and it kind of made me frustrated that they have them now! 2 years ago, when we went to Disney and Universal, we ate at Chuy's one night and there was a guy making balloon animals. He made a Pikachu for our son, and he LOVED that thing. We had warned him that we wouldn't be able to take it with us on the plane, but we still had like...a week, so we weren't too worried. Then check-out day came and he was so upset about not being able to take it with us. We told him we would look for a stuffed pikachu for him and we went EVERYWHERE and could not find one anywhere. And now I see this picture with TONS of them.

Thank you ! I think I got it from Shein !
That was the Japan Pavilion !

Great pics
Great commentary
and I like your necklace!

Max

Thank you !!!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Y'all hit two of our faves... Via Napoli and the Abracadabar! Last time we ordered the flat breads which were delicious but the smell of the Abra Fries was to die for. It is on our list for a future visit.

We never tried anything else to eat there but I heard the rest of the food was good! Oh wait thats a lie once we got a free charcuterie board from there once!

I can't wait to hear and see more about the trip!!!!

Thanks for following !

Doc Disney

Original Poster
LOVE Via Napoli pizza! YUM!!!! Hven't tried Abracadabar yet! That drink looks super yummy!!!

The drinks there are so good!! And yes Via Napoli pizza is the best!

Now the Via Napoli arancini are always a hit! But I just took the F&G version off my “must eat” list. Too pricey for mediocrity. And taking up valuable stomach real estate!

I am sure they are not much better and Flower and Garden ....actually I think they are the same. blech !

MickeyCB

tempImageTWpV2C.jpg
Your mom looks so amazing in this photo, it's a great scene, and then the big metal thing in the back really takes away from it all!:(
tempImage8Fm6gy.jpg
And now that I am retired this is the job I have identified for my post retirement years. Driving Mickey around Epcot!!! (Driving in MK would be the only thing I can think of that would be better)! 🤣

slipperalwaysfits

nd two Italian Margaritas (with Tequila and Limoncello
They look sooooo yummy! I love limoncello!

Anyway...after this we got dressed and ready to head back to Epcot.
Another balcony photoshoot.
Fabulous room and view! Also, you and your mom look lovely!
We got nervous because we did not see pepperoni pizza on the menu and we love the pepperoni at Via Napoli. Probably because it's like pepperoni at home (and its a Buffalo company owned restaurant so go figure :hilarious: ).
Thankfully we could still get it if we built our own pizza !
So we got pepperoni and olives - it was SO good!
Why doesn't your mom like LWTL? I love it. It's so nice to get a little break and enjoy a relaxing boat ride!
Via Napoli is always one of our must-do's! We had to create our own pepperoni pizza last time, too! I love how the pepperoni's curl up! Splitting a pizza there last year was the first time DH said he didn't feel "overly full!"

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Your mom looks so amazing in this photo, it's a great scene, and then the big metal thing in the back really takes away from it all!:(

And now that I am retired this is the job I have identified for my post retirement years. Driving Mickey around Epcot!!! (Driving in MK would be the only thing I can think of that would be better)! 🤣

I love that photo of her! And I know the dumb floats take up so much space!
THAT IS THE BEST RETIREMENT JOB! You should apply :joyfull:
I always said my retirement job will be being a greeter at MK so I can see everyone come in!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom