Jungle Cruise Update

lazyboy97o

I didn't mean to say that Frontierland at DLP wasn't themed, simply that it was driven more by ideas inherent in the backstory approach rather than the approaches of the past. Probably better to say design influences over hard and fast rules.
But we know these types of ideas were there in the past. For example have the various scripts that were developed for The Haunted Mansion that sought to establish all sorts of different lore and backstories. Yes, they did end up changing course but it was clearly a tool that was being used and explored. If anything it is the natural evolution of storytelling mediums. Early films were short and rather simple. The same with early animated films. But they evolved and grew, and longer, more complex stories were eventually told. It’s not that either is right or wrong, they’re just different uses of the medium. Its a spectrum of storytelling and it all can be done well or poorly.

lazyboy97o

What makes this a questionable move is that they are pandering to the hardcore Disneyland history fans, but it is NOT working right? They are adding a park specific backstory, no outside IP with new specifically created characters and AAs. They are checking all the boxes here and yet still pushback?
Checking boxes is often a sure fire way to get lousy content. They can’t exactly use the movie since it has not been released, therefore it has not proved itself, and we know it draws from at least the natives scene.
I think it makes sense that Jungle Cruise is one of those attractions that appeals more to the history crowd, but if they don't buy into these changes then what??
You say this as though the Jungle Cruise turns out empty boats, is not in four of the six Disneylands, was not imitated all over the world and that people still don’t wonder why it was excluded from Disneyland Paris, the reason being the ubiquity of imitations.

Zorro

Many of us have been against most of the changes within the past five or more years, myself included. We’re still enjoying ourselves here.
If I may quote from Gilbert and Sullivan's Princess Ida:
"Ah! Oh, don't the days seem lank and long
When all goes right and nothing goes wrong,
And isn't your life extremely flat
With nothing whatever to grumble at!"

As for me:
Against the change of the auction scene in POTC
Against the alteration of Splash Mountain
Just nuke Galaxy's Edge
Currently reserving judgement on Snow White, but I don't like some of the revealed changes
Don't know enough yet to render judgement for Jungle Cruise, but this Alberta Falls stuff sounds like poorly written fan fiction
Grumble Grumble Grumble

SuddenStorm

I guess you don't have to be, but trust me, you're gonna have a rough couple of decades here as Disneyland fan against change.

I'm by no means against change. I'm just against change I disagree with. Disneyland has many areas that would be improved with change.

I love what they did to Big Thunder in 2014. I loved the enhancements to Fantasmic in 2010. I think Tomorrowland needs a refresh- specifically the Carousel Theater. Not to mention the Hungry Bear sign. I'm optimistic about the Snow White changes, since that was always the weakest ride of the Fantasyland dark rides. I'm also hopeful for the 'new magic' being added to Mansion, assuming it's done tastefully. The Indy changes around 2014 are fine.

But my goodness, I'm not happy with what they did to Fantasmic in 2017. Or the entirety of Galaxy's Edge. Or the decision to remove Splash Mountain. Jungle is a ride that could always be improved- but from what I've seen I'm not sure these 'improvements' are better. And what they've done to Pirates of the Caribbean, Walt Disney's last major contribution to the park is borderline criminal.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I guess you don't have to be, but trust me, you're gonna have a rough couple of decades here as Disneyland fan against change.
We’re talking about a business with a tried and true fan base. If I’m a vegetarian I don’t walk into a famous burger chain expecting them not to serve meat at all. I do expect that as sensibilities evolve over the years menu options may be added/supplanted in time to accommodate new tastes, dietary restrictions, etc. (hence the term “inclusive”).

The goal of an “evolution” in business is to build on the past and expand your audience. Outright replacing/destroying what came before and built the brand does not make business sense as it both: 1) enrages your legacy customer base; & 2) costs more money from a cost-benefit analysis perspective when in many cases the thematic “bones” (as in the sum of all parts) of the park are simpatico with the brand itself.

The real question in my mind becomes whether these new changes are executed well, which is up for debate. I share concerns about the PoTC auction execution being sloppy and uninspired, but do appreciate the new cave scene. I also like what’s been done with Alice, RoA, etc. From my perspective S.E.A./Alberta Falls backstory and Splash/PaTF is still too early to tell.

Last edited:

TP2000

As a vegan, I expect steakhouses to not only serve me vegan options, but to eliminate all inhumane meat options and ban all carnivorous killers from the premises! I'm morally superior. You're just going to have to accept that.

In all seriousness, I love that you're Vegan because you are so normal about it, and don't push your agenda on others. I wish more folks could be like you when it comes to that sort of thing.

A few summers ago I went to a super-liberal wedding up near Seattle, at a stylish beach compound in the San Juan Islands. Everyone there was very hip, and very liberal, and everyone was simply the right kind of people which means almost everyone there was entirely non-diverse in their thinking, or at least knew how to stick to their script in public. There were many Vegans, and I was seated next to two of them who were a married couple. For bonus points, the husband was actually transgender and started his life as a woman, but was now a man, which I think is great if that's his lifelong calling. But he was also a Vegan, along with his boring wife. They were insufferable. Their entire conversation over dinner was about food, and the ethics of food, and how happy they were to not eat unethical food, and how the Vegan deviled eggs (seriously) they were eating were fabulous even though they kind of fell apart and dribbled down their wrist every time they picked one up because they weren't actually deviled eggs.

I've never been more angry and miserable over a social event seating assignment than at that wedding reception. But, @George Lucas on a Bench, I'd sit next to you at a bad wedding reception any day! Even if you have the Vegan deviled eggs. 🧐

Last edited:

celluloid

At some level I agree, but the problem is that we probably disagree with who we think they are pandering to. Jungle Cruise has problems that need to be fixed, but because of their reliance on history and nostalgia, they are still trying to salvage the Jungle Cruise IP instead of just ripping it out entirely.

They people they are pandering to are Disney fans.

Fair enough.
I guess my point is it does not really matter. Pandering either if I agree with it or not still feels less because it is not genuine. I would rather genuinely not care too much for something rather than it seem robbed of a lot of creativity or passion.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

In all seriousness, I love that you're Vegan because you are so normal about it, and don't push your agenda on others. I wish more folks could be like you when it comes to that sort of thing.

A few summers ago I went to a super-liberal wedding up near Seattle, at a stylish beach compound in the San Juan Islands. Everyone there was very hip, and very liberal, and everyone was simply the right kind of people which means almost everyone there was entirely non-diverse in their thinking, or at least knew how to stick to their script in public. There were many Vegans, and I was seated next to two of them who were a married couple. For bonus points, the husband was actually transgender and started his life as a woman, but was now a man, which I think is great if that's his lifelong calling. But he was also a Vegan, along with his boring wife. They were insufferable. Their entire conversation over dinner was about food, and the ethics of food, and how happy they were to not eat unethical food, and how the Vegan deviled eggs (seriously) they were eating were fabulous even though they kind of fell apart and dribbled down their wrist every time they picked one up because they weren't actually deviled eggs.

I've never been more angry and miserable over a social event seating assignment than at that wedding reception. But, @George Lucas on a Bench, I'd sit next to you at a bad wedding reception any day! Even if you have the Vegan deviled eggs. 🧐

Want to know how you can tell if someone's vegan?

They'll tell you.

CaptinEO

"As we shared earlier this year, we are building on the original story of the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland park and Magic Kingdom Park. We’re adding more humor, wildlife and skipper heart to the classic attraction, and as part of a much larger effort, this updated experience will welcome new characters from around the world.

The enhancements include several new scenes guests will experience along the river, all interconnected. Our world-famous skippers will continue to share the unique adventure and interactions guests expect on the Jungle Cruise.

The new scenes will heighten our skippers’ legendary comedic tone, beginning with a trapped safari party that finds itself up a tree after their journey goes awry. Unexpected scenarios along the way will give the jungle and animals the last laugh!

For those looking to dive deeper, we’re also expanding the attraction’s backstory, centered around Alberta Falls, granddaughter of world-renowned Dr. Albert Falls, as the proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd.

Jungle Cruise fans might be familiar with her name; however, wouldn’t you know it, we recently uncovered a copy of an interview with Alberta Falls that was featured in a 1938 issue of The Daily Gnus about her and the World-Famous Jungle Cruise. We hope you’ll enjoy getting to know her!

1938 issue of The Daily Gnus

Stay tuned for more details coming later this year!"

New skipper dialogue leaked:

"We're about to approach one of the most exciting things ever... the backside of Alberta Falls"

;)

CaptinEO

Part of me thinks that this is part of Disney's new diversity focus, adding more diverse characters to existing rides, and backstory is an easy/cheap way to do it.

Can we assume both the owner "Alberta" and the skipper "Felix" are of hispanic descent? This is a whole lot cheaper than making a "Coco" attraction to include these cultures in Disney Parks.

Maybe we can see how the Disneyland Railroad is owned by hard working asian americans, like those that helped build railways in the early 1800s? They can hang portraits of these characters at each train station.

There's a lot they can do with this concept.

Californian Elitist

Part of me thinks that this is part of Disney's new diversity focus, adding more diverse characters to existing rides, and backstory is an easy/cheap way to do it.

Can we assume both the owner "Alberta" and the skipper "Felix" are of hispanic descent? This is a whole lot cheaper than making a "Coco" attraction to include these cultures in Disney Parks.

Maybe we can see how the Disneyland Railroad is owned by hard working asian americans, like those that helped build railways in the early 1800s? They can hang portraits of these characters at each train station.

There's a lot they can do with this concept.
Alberta Falls is Indian.

CaptinEO

Why do you think he will be Hispanic?
I always associated that name with being of Mexican origin. I could be incorrect. Considering the large Mexican population in California and who frequent Disneyland it's probably overdue they added a hispanic character.

180º

Why do you think he will be Hispanic?
I don’t have an answer to this, but it made me think about WDW’s Jungle Cruise. At Disneyland, the boat launch and surrounding area and first sequence of the ride take place in India, making Alberta fit in nicely. It would be kind of neat if at WDW they featured a Hispanic counterpart to DL’s Alberta, as their ride starts in the Amazon and the surrounding area is more loosely Western Hemisphere/Latin America and Caribbean.

George Lucas on a Bench

I would never, ever dream of pushing any agenda on anyone. I also don't expect anyone to accept me or comply with anything I want. It's what separates me from all the loons on here. Giant spoiled brats, the lot of them.

Californian Elitist

I always associated that name with being of Mexican origin. I could be incorrect. Considering the large Mexican population in California and who frequent Disneyland it's probably overdue they added a hispanic character.
I’m pretty sure it’s not of Mexican origin.

Given that Jungle Cruise and the surrounding rest of Adventureland are a mixture of Polynesian, African, and South Asian themes, I doubt Felix will be Hispanic, but I could be wrong. We’ll see.

_caleb

I would never, ever dream of pushing any agenda on anyone. I also don't expect anyone to accept me or comply with anything I want. It's what separates me from all the loons on here. Giant spoiled brats, the lot of them.
You seem to have forgotten your short-lived anti-Rocketeer phase
The Rocketeer glorifies White Patriarchal Society. You need to set a better example. Change your avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom