News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

_caleb

And for the land of the "free," that's pretty messed up.
I don’t know. When a person is starting out in the workforce, they tend to have little autonomy and work more physically strenuous/tedious jobs for relatively low pay.

Personally, I’m in favor of raising the minimum wage. But people who work minimum wage jobs are (by definition) at the bottom of a ladder our capitalistic society expects them to climb. Do good work, take on more responsibility, and you’re supposed to gain more autonomy, move into less physically-demanding/tedious work, and receive more pay.

Where this isn’t happening, there’s something wrong—either with the system or with the worker, right?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
people who work minimum wage jobs are (by definition) at the bottom of a ladder our capitalistic society expects them to climb. Do good work, take on more responsibility, and you’re supposed to gain more autonomy, move into less physically-demanding/tedious work, and receive more pay.

Where this isn’t happening, there’s something wrong—either with the system or with the worker, right?
Correct. The system is flawed. I, myself, am lucky enough not to be caught in the big pit that's impossible to climb out of.

There is no "climbing up" unless you want to waste 30 to 40 years of your life. Like I said, it's not 1971 anymore. Too many people. Not enough opportunity. System is flawed.

That's a bit off-topic though. I'll retire my time here for real now, because these conversations always end up being a broken record. Nobody is changing anyone's societal points of views on a site like this.

lazyboy97o

I don’t know. When a person is starting out in the workforce, they tend to have little autonomy and work more physically strenuous/tedious jobs for relatively low pay.

Personally, I’m in favor of raising the minimum wage. But people who work minimum wage jobs are (by definition) at the bottom of a ladder our capitalistic society expects them to climb. Do good work, take on more responsibility, and you’re supposed to gain more autonomy, move into less physically-demanding/tedious work, and receive more pay.

Of course people start with less autonomy and responsibility. That’s not some flaw. Lives have been ruined and ended because people without the necessary experience were given too much autonomy and responsibility.

_caleb

Of course people start with less autonomy and responsibility. That’s not some flaw. Lives have been ruined and ended because people without the necessary experience were given too much autonomy and responsibility.
Right. The “flaw” (again, either in the system or in the worker) is when a person cannot seem to move up into positions with greater autonomy and higher pay despite doing reliably good work.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And don't give me the "Well, they're movie stars" - "they're not in the parks". Because they are representing Disney through the press, media, and personal appearances. Most people that know who they are - are readily buying up their Disney merchandise in the parks and are well aware that they sport a tattoo (in a lot of cases - several of them)
But when they're playing a role, actors very often have to cover up their tats. CMs are 'on stage' in their role.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s true, it’s explained that the inclusion key is a “booster” to the other keys. While the other keys go in order of importance, inclusion can fall under any of the 4 original keys.
The inclusion key as an all-pervasive key also applies to how the company treats their staff (and to some extent, the other keys do, too, but they were originally to remind staff how to treat customers), *and* the inclusion key applies to content of the entertainment, so that it is diverse and representative and not exclusive.

theRIOT

Disney has a right to set whatever standards for a 'look' they want.

Kids, here's another life tip ~ every piercing, tattoo and funky haircut/haircolor you decide to get affects your future job options.
Hasn't stopped me from landing a 6-figure job in my chosen field. Times change.

BrianLo

What changed? Themed experiences are no longer themed?

I think it's mostly America that has changed. Supposedly this is mostly about hair styles, so I'm really just thinking about that particular context.

I too agree that themed experiences are important, but there are some experiences where there must be a tipping point between pushing the authenticity at the expense of inclusion. A truly authentic themed experience definitely excludes many non-white races. I think that actually creates a worse experience, for me at least.

Regarding hairstyles - I would side on the expectation should be culturally normative business-casual stylings with obvious allowance for a person's ethnicity. But the current guideline advantages caucasians that can pull off the look with more ease - regarding hair. Yes, that's a more accurate themed experience, but America has progressed a lot since then.

wdrive

But Disney does have a policy on guest's attire. There are shirts and wording that aren't permitted. If you violate that policy you will be asked to change clothes (or in some cases outright be asked to leave). If the CM is presentable, represents the company professionally, why would it matter if they had a visible tattoo that was not offensive?

I know they have policies on guest attire. I was replying to a comment that implied I’d have a problem with a guest who had a tattoo. I personally do not really care what a guest looks like as long as they aren’t naked or have some really really outlandish attire or look.

Why would it matter if they have a tattoo? It looks unprofessional and is easy enough to hide. Would it matter if a cast member was missing a small part of their costume? Every little thing adds up. These little things used to matter and were what made Disney matter.

Anyhow I very much doubt these supposed changes will effect their current tattoo policy whatsoever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom