New restaurant mask rule

Chi84

Premium Member
I think this whole debate illustrates that Disney is doing a disservice to their cast and guests by publishing such an ambiguous policy. They should put up a clear Q&A with things like "Am I required to wear a mask while waiting in line at a QS restaurant?" (yes) and "Am I required to wear a mask in between my appetizer and main course at a table service restaurant?" (no).

They tried to write a single policy that applies to dining experiences as diverse as Oga's Cantina, Backlot Express, Joffrey's coffee stand, and Hollywood Brown Derby.
Disney is a master at writing ambiguous policies - they do it to give CMs discretion in enforcement. I know this because on a few occasions I emailed asking for clarification and the answer was that CMs are given discretion to enforce policies based on the company's "business needs."

CaptainAmerica

Disney is a master at writing ambiguous policies - they do it to give CMs discretion in enforcement. I know this because on a few occasions I emailed asking for clarification and the answer was that CMs are given discretion to enforce policies based on the company's "business needs."
I would expect Disney to absolutely not want CM discretion on this type of thing. The vaguery of "while actively eating" could empower an overzealous cast member who actually does want you putting your mask on in between bites of food.

Chi84

Premium Member
I would expect Disney to absolutely not want CM discretion on this type of thing. The vaguery of "while actively eating" could empower an overzealous cast member who actually does want you putting your mask on in between bites of food.
The kind of discretion I'm talking about probably wouldn't extend down to the level of the individual server. I would expect it to be more of having the restaurant manager instruct the staff how to apply the policy. In my experience, an overzealous CM who hassles guests for no good reason is a rarity at Disney.

The questions I emailed about involved use of the pass holders entrance and parking practices. In both cases, they simply quoted the rule as written and said that Disney always tries to create a magical experience for the guest, but that CMs may have to make enforcement decisions based on the company's business needs. I interpreted that as meaning if the parks were crowded, CMs at the pass holders entrance would be instructed on how many people should be allowed through - not that individual CMs would be making different decisions based on their own assessments.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The challenge to that approach is that the more precisely worded things are, the easier it is for a guest to say “well they didn’t say I couldn’t do that!” if it is not specifically on the list. This has been the issue from the start which has resulted in the ever evolving guidance.

... and the more complex you make the policy the less likely people are to read and follow the whole thing.

Lilofan

i want to dine in peace and enjoy my very expensive meal without yet another unneeded reference of where we are at this hour.
You may enjoy overpriced burgers and brews dining with the bikers at Bike Week at Daytona Beach. An estimated 300-400K are currently there most are disregarding the mask policy and going maskless.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The challenge to that approach is that the more precisely worded things are, the easier it is for a guest to say “well they didn’t say I couldn’t do that!” if it is not specifically on the list. This has been the issue from the start which has resulted in the ever evolving guidance.
It should come as no surprise that people will use that excuse for breaking just about any commonly-accepted standard of public behavior.

And the reason they didn't specifically say people couldn't do "that"? It's because they didn't think anyone would be so stupid or crass as to do that.

And, apparently, they are always wrong.

Chi84

Premium Member
Same.... just ate at many restaurants on site. No one ever said boo about a mask at the table. They often remind people in rides or in the common areas, but not at the the tables.
Thanks, that's what I thought and it's good to hear since we have some table service restaurants booked for our May trip. I've always found Disney's actual rules pretty reasonable - the ones made up on sites like this, not so much . . .

angiebelle

Why when the mask mandate has been eliminated in FL does WDW still require them? I know people come from all over the world to go to WDW but people from all over the world also go to FL and do not include theme parks in their vacations.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Why when the mask mandate has been eliminated in FL does WDW still require them? I know people come from all over the world to go to WDW but people from all over the world also go to FL and do not include theme parks in their vacations.
Orange County which encompasses most of the Walt Disney World property still has a mask mandate in place. In addition, private business are within their rights to require masks when visiting their establishments. As someone who lives here I can tell you nearly every establishment I go to from retail stores to grocery stores all have mask mandates And signs on the door when you enter noting that masks are required. It doesn’t take a government mandate for businesses to make that choice for their staff and patrons.

angiebelle

Orange County which encompasses most of the Walt Disney World property still has a mask mandate in place. In addition, private business are within their rights to require masks when visiting their establishments. As someone who lives here I can tell you nearly every establishment I go to from retail stores to grocery stores all have mask mandates And signs on the door when you enter noting that masks are required. It doesn’t take a government mandate for businesses to make that choice for their staff and patrons.
Our area has the mask mandates too but many of us have never worn one. Was asked by employees if I had a mask and I told them, "No". They said I needed one to shop, eat,... and I told them that I can't wear one. I went into the stores, restaurants, etc. with no problems.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Our area has the mask mandates too but many of us have never worn one. Was asked by employees if I had a mask and I told them, "No". They said I needed one to shop, eat,... and I told them that I can't wear one. I went into the sores, restaurants, etc. with no problems.
That will not work at the Orlando theme park properties. You are required to wear a mask, no exceptions including medical. If you cannot, or will not wear a mask you should not visit.

HouCuseChickie

I really do wonder if they'll enforce it. We were there last month and other policies like mask-less eating and drinking in ride queues and eating and drinking while walking were not being enforced. We even had a full ride where the large party in front of us was mask-less the entire time. That's not to say we didn't see people being told to put their masks back on, but we just noticed some of these policies not being routinely enforced.

Our state's mask mandate just ended, and while we'll continue to mask up, I know some stores that are mandating them won't be enforcing it because some of these people get really aggressive over the matter. So, that's part of the problem with enforcement. Don't enforce masks and face greater virus risks, or enforce it and risk being physically harmed by your potential patrons. I mean, that's why store employees are people are backing down...they've seen all of the stories about the crazies and they don't want to be the next news story about store clerk hospitalized for trying to enforce company's mask policy. So if you're told to wear a mask and you refuse and they let you in anyway, it's not because it's ok...it's because they're afraid of being harmed for upholding a rule.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I will never understand the philosophy that ‘well I heard it isn’t being enforced, so I’m just not going to comply’. The policy has been clear Since July of last year and is not changing until Disney wants it to, no matter how much people complain about it. Just wear the mask as stated, or do not go. Why are we still having this discussion with people trying to find ways they can get out of wearing a mask. if you do not want to wear one do not go to Walt Disney World. It solves this really easily.

It doesn’t matter what the rules are in your home community, the theme park operators in Florida have chosen a very conservative approach to mask wearing and distancing.

Why do we have to keep reading articles in the local newspaper of Cast members being assaulted physically and verbally by guests for trying do their job and enforcing the mask rules that every guest agreed to when they arrived at the park?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm not a moderator, but this thread was started to discuss the change in Disney's policy language regarding mask-wearing while dining. It's turning into a typical, general mask debate and I suspect it will be shut down if people continue to go down that route.

I hope that doesn't happen because people have genuine questions about how the change in language will affect their dining experiences, and several of the comments have been helpful. The fact that someone posts they won't wear a mask doesn't require other posters to respond to their off-topic statement. It looks to me as though there is some trolling going on.

Lilofan

I'm not a moderator, but this thread was started to discuss the change in Disney's policy language regarding mask-wearing while dining. It's turning into a typical, general mask debate and I suspect it will be shut down if people continue to go down that route.

I hope that doesn't happen because people have genuine questions about how the change in language will affect their dining experiences, and several of the comments have been helpful. The fact that someone posts they won't wear a mask doesn't require other posters to respond to their off-topic statement. It looks to me as though there is some trolling going on.
If one decides codes to test the waters and go maskless in a WDW dining location, expect to be talked to and one better comply. If one is not happy there are other non WDW locations to spend your money at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom