Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe WDW may lose masks and social distancing in the summer instead 2022 if the cases are low enough and COVID-19 will no longer as a threat.

seascape

The case numbers are going up in NJ, NY and RI but nationally things are getting better. Only 4 states have cases in the 30's. 10 states have cases in the 20's. 34 states in the 10's and 3 with single digits. Note, DC is included so that is why there are 51.

As the vaccinations continue to increase the numbers will continue to decrease and the pandemic will end thanks to Operation Warp Speed. There are still 27 days left in March and 30 days in April, in other words 57 days or 8 weeks for continued drops. Think of it this way. a 50% drop in cases should bring the number of states in the single digits to 37 or more. A drop of 66% should mean only 4 states have 10 or more cases per 100,000. Eight weeks is 4 two week periods and with all 3 vaccines now available it is not unreasonable to expect cases to drop quickly. No matter how you look at the numbers, the pandemic is just about over and the only reason for denying this is that the Biden Administration wants all the credit and refuses to face the truth the the prior Administrations solved the pandemic. Nothing a new Administration does can have an effect in the first 3 months of a new President's term. Even the supossed Covid19 bill, $1.9 Trillion, will spend over 2/3 of it in the next 2 fiscal years.

Dranth

What conspiracy theory would that be. Joes questionable cognitive function. . I’ve watched Biden bumble and fumble through many pressers. His handlers couldn’t get him out their fast enough yesterday during his Texas mask comments.
You guys talk shots at politicians all the time. I’m going to take mine at Biden and he certainly provides plenty of material.
Take all the shots you like but Trump was a very unpopular person and President so I am not sure many people are going to care what Biden says (within reason). A wet sack full of dirty underwear had a good shot at beating Trump. Sure, he was always going to get his partisan die hards but he lost any chance at the middle/independents and those are the people that decide elections. That is on him. He didn’t have to alienate everyone who wasn’t a fervent supporter or staunch partisan. He didn't have to downplay the mess we are in.

On a separate note, it is interesting to see all these comments from people who see large parts of their circles signed up or already vaccinated as where I am (South Carolina) they still haven’t opened up past the initial group. I know we start phase 1b here next week so things should start to pick up but I am ready to start seeing this whole thing fade into the rear-view mirror.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exposure and vaccines work together. I know we're not TRYING for herd-immunity-by-exposure, but those antibodies in people who have been infected still contribute to protecting the population.

Yeah...we know that it’s a combination of the two.

But that’s not to be trusted with the general populace.
And we are where we are. Neither the government (not the Florida tick)...nor deep pocket corporations like Disney are going to trust jimbob to have “already beat it”

They’re hedging...they’ll see how the vaccinations go before they lift any precautions completely or talk about requirements. And we will see kids soon and then a plan to do boosters/yearlies if that is the way to go.

Why? Money! It’s all about protecting money. Not the pittance they’re spending on pork. The trillions the fed invents to prop up obsolete big money.

If people just take it......they get what they want.

We don’t disagree nearly as much as the untrained observer would think...I think this probably qualifies.

Last edited by a moderator:

correcaminos

If they are getting the doses directly from the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program there is really nothing Desantis can do. If they are getting some allocated by the State, he could withhold those until they comply with his order. I don't think he would do that as it would take away shot giving capacity which would be a bad look from a political standpoint.

I don't think it is good at all. Why on earth would you prioritize a teacher in his or her 40's with essentially no risk of a serious outcome if they get COVID over a 70 year old with a statistically significant risk of a serious outcome? While supplies are limited, every 27 year old teacher that gets a shot delays a 77 year old from getting a shot.
My friend was early 40s, healthy, runner, slender build, no health issues at all. Now 5 months post infection from school and only able to work part time. Just stop with this pretending it doesn't affect people who are young. They are not being prioritized over a 70 year old at this point either. The 77yo is not being delayed because of it.

James J

In the Parks
No
Maybe WDW may lose masks and social distancing in the summer instead 2022 if the cases are low enough and COVID-19 will no longer as a threat.
Dude, you need to hold off on posting the same thing and asking the same questions every single day. Just track this thread and keep an eye on posts, and the information will soon present itself over the coming weeks and months.

Heppenheimer

Exposure and vaccines work together. I know we're not TRYING for herd-immunity-by-exposure, but those antibodies in people who have been infected still contribute to protecting the population.
In the best case scenarios, yes, both move the football further towards the endzone.

However, the wild card here is SARS-CoV-2's ability to mutate into new strands. The more chances you give the vaccine to replicate, the higher the probability that a new strand emerges, and in the worse case scenario, the all-important spike protein changes enough that the antibodies stimulated from the current vaccines can no longer recognize it.

I'll take what herd immunity we get from natural exposure, but I'd rather we mostly get there through vaccination, both to minimize the emergence of new strands and to minimize the damage caused by the actual infections.

DisneyCane

If by “ serious outcome” you mean death, o might agree with you. Serious long term effects in tens of thousands of people I think is pretty serious also. Should a 27 yr old teacher.. which is a essential and front line worker, possibly be put in that position of suffering her whole life? Let’s get the elderly, and all front line workers the vaccine as soon as possible. We seem to overlook a lot of what this virus can do.

With limited supply of vaccines, there has to be prioritization. Even taking into account the (unknown) potential risk of "long COVID," a 27 year old is still going to be at lower risk when considering the severity of the outcome. A 77 year old has nearly an 11% chance that they will die if they test positive for COVID. A 27 year old has a close to 0% chance to die and some unknown percent chance at symptoms that linger for a few months.

A teacher in a socially distanced classroom full of kids that appear to be less likely to spread the virus even if they are infected is not a the risk of a front line worker which conjures the image of doctors or nurses.

So, yes, teachers should be high on the priority list but they should not be as high as seniors who are statistically at the highest risk. My opinion doesn't matter on this issue because all of the vaccine doses are being purchased by the Federal Government. Therefore, if they decide on a policy that I believe is suboptimal, it's going to be implemented anyway.

Patcheslee

If by “ serious outcome” you mean death, o might agree with you. Serious long term effects in tens of thousands of people I think is pretty serious also. Should a 27 yr old teacher.. which is a essential and front line worker, possibly be put in that position of suffering her whole life? Let’s get the elderly, and all front line workers the vaccine as soon as possible. We seem to overlook a lot of what this virus can do.

Kroger is doing the same in Indiana just since 4:30pm yesterday. Even if someone is 80 years old they don't qualify without being in LTC, a teacher, child care, health care, or have one of 5 "high risk" conditions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-084720_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-084720_Chrome.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 37

tpac24

Take all the shots you like but Trump was a very unpopular person and President so I am not sure many people are going to care what Biden says (within reason). A wet sack full of dirty underwear had a good shot at beating Trump. Sure, he was always going to get his partisan die hards who thought he walked on water but he lost any chance at the middle/independents and those are the people that decide elections. That is on him. He didn’t have to alienate everyone who wasn’t a fervent supporter or staunch partisan.

On the COVID-19 front, it is interesting to see all these comments from people who see large parts of their circles signed up or already vaccinated as where I am (South Carolina) they still haven’t opened up past the initial group. I know we start phase 1b here next week so things should start to pick up but I am ready to start seeing this whole thing fade into the rear-view mirror.
Sorry but if that was honestly the case they would not have drug Biden out of his home and propped him up to run. They had an entire gaggle of better more with it options than Joe but they knew he was the only one who could come close to beating him. I truly believe had covid not been a thing he would have won a second term. I will admit I voted for him twice and I am not a die hard in fact I hope he doesn't run again.

DisneyCane

My friend was early 40s, healthy, runner, slender build, no health issues at all. Now 5 months post infection from school and only able to work part time. Just stop with this pretending it doesn't affect people who are young. They are not being prioritized over a 70 year old at this point either. The 77yo is not being delayed because of it.
There are always going to be outliers. I didn't say it doesn't affect people who are young, I said that somebody who is elderly is at a much higher risk of being effected. Every accurate data set from everywhere in the world shows the same result. And, yes, they are being prioritized if they are able to get an appointment that would have gone to a 77 year old if the younger teacher was not eligible. Therefore, that 77 year old who didn't get the appointment has been delayed.

Dranth

Have three people in my office who got it within a few weeks of each other around 4 months ago. One 26 and one 30, both are still having breathing issues. The 68-year-old with heart issues got it and never felt a thing. Never know how this thing is going to hit you but too many don't take it seriously enough.

Tony the Tigger

The case numbers are going up in NJ, NY and RI but nationally things are getting better. Only 4 states have cases in the 30's. 10 states have cases in the 20's. 34 states in the 10's and 3 with single digits. Note, DC is included so that is why there are 51.

As the vaccinations continue to increase the numbers will continue to decrease and the pandemic will end thanks to Operation Warp Speed. There are still 27 days left in March and 30 days in April, in other words 57 days or 8 weeks for continued drops. Think of it this way. a 50% drop in cases should bring the number of states in the single digits to 37 or more. A drop of 66% should mean only 4 states have 10 or more cases per 100,000. Eight weeks is 4 two week periods and with all 3 vaccines now available it is not unreasonable to expect cases to drop quickly. No matter how you look at the numbers, the pandemic is just about over and the only reason for denying this is that the Biden Administration wants all the credit and refuses to face the truth the the prior Administrations solved the pandemic. Nothing a new Administration does can have an effect in the first 3 months of a new President's term. Even the supossed Covid19 bill, $1.9 Trillion, will spend over 2/3 of it in the next 2 fiscal years.
Really? Because one of the main vaccines had zero to do with OWS.

And, really? Because Biden prioritized vaccinations and ramped them up tremendously in one month. Trump had TWO and a half months after losing the election and chose not to do what Biden just did. How many more people did Trump kill by focusing on circumventing the election instead of prioritizing vaccines?

These are facts.

DisneyCane

Have three people in my office who got it within a few weeks of each other around 4 months ago. One 26 and one 30, both are still having breathing issues. The 68-year-old with heart issues got it and never felt a thing. Never know how this thing is going to hit you but too many don't take it seriously enough.
While we are playing the anecdote game, I know 6 people under 40 who got COVID, had mild symptoms and recovered completely within 3 weeks.

Dranth

Sorry but if that was honestly the case they would not have drug Biden out of his home and propped him up to run. They had an entire gaggle of better more with it options than Joe but they knew he was the only one who could come close to beating him. I truly believe had covid not been a thing he would have won a second term. I will admit I voted for him twice and I am not a die hard in fact I hope he doesn't run again.
Maybe so, but it did happen and while this is obviously just my opinion, the bad response to the pandemic seemed to push a lot of people into the anyone but him category.

GimpYancIent

There’s no conspiracy at all. It’s just a recognition of the reality on the ground with the government and corporate agendas.

...I also don’t disagree with you at all. Incase that was the mistaken impression I gave.

If you go way back...my hunch was that Disney was not happy with Florida’s reopening push last spring/summer...they went along with it and it could have been a disaster. They won’t make that mistake on restrictions again. The lawyers are in control now.

That’s just the best guess to fit the available facts. So that being said...any Inference that Disney isn’t going to “throw open the gates” and trust people to not be sick is foolhardy.

They more than anyone know how stupid people are.
Look at “after hours magic”😉
Yep CNN story telling. I said nothing even close to what you are talking about. Do not put words in my mouth. Stop the spin, stop attempting creative word usage because you are not very good at it. Oh, yea! its your opinion and guess what! I do not care!

DisneyCane

Really? Because one of the main vaccines had zero to do with OWS.

And, really? Because Biden prioritized vaccinations and ramped them up tremendously in one month. Trump had TWO and a half months after losing the election and chose not to do what Biden just did. How many more people did Trump kill by focusing on circumventing the election instead of prioritizing vaccines?

These are facts.
What, exactly, did Biden do (not say) which ramped up the vaccines in one month that Trump could have done but didn't do while he was ranting about the election?

None of the manufacturing process that has resulted in the recent increased supply was planned after 1/19. The 200 million doses of Pfizer and Moderna and 100 million of Johnson & Johnson were ordered under the Trump administration.

Tony the Tigger

While we are playing the anecdote game, I know 6 people under 40 who got COVID, had mild symptoms and recovered completely within 3 weeks.
So we agree we shouldn’t make or support policies based only on our own personal experiences, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom