Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

There are issues with people wanting or not wanting to take the vaccine regardless of political affiliation. The views of how severe or not so severe the illness is like wise varies greatly not by ethnicity or race but simply because all people do not see everything the same way. I believe results and solid facts will debunk all the hype, sadly the innuendo, hype, rumor, spin and unknowledgeable speculation get first heard first.
Survey after survey suggests STRONG correlations between political affiliation, race/ethnicity, economic status and willingness to take the vaccine. Most end up boiling down to mistrust and misunderstanding of science. The cause of that varies and, in particular, the link between political affiliation and mistrust of science is a relatively-new development.

GimpYancIent

Survey after survey suggests STRONG correlations between political affiliation, race/ethnicity, economic status and willingness to take the vaccine. Most end up boiling down to mistrust and misunderstanding of science. The cause of that varies and, in particular, the link between political affiliation and mistrust of science is a relatively-new development.
Survey after survey have also been strongly shown to be inaccurate, hence, why the generators of surveys allow a + and - accuracy fudge factor to cover their butts.

ToTBellHop

I mean the scientists themselves have been lying to us or at least hiding inconvenient truths since the beginning. "Listen to the science" and "listen to the scientists" are not the same thing. For example, you would never know listening to Fauci and other public-facing experts that:
  • Asymptomatic transmission is extremely rare
  • Transmission in schools is extremely rare
  • Transmission outdoors is extremely rare
  • Surface transmission is extremely rare
  • Serious illness among children is extremely rare
  • Serious illness among healthy adults is extremely rare
They have consistently downplayed "good news" about the disease in order to make it seem as bad as possible. They've done this with ostensibly noble goals of getting people to comply with mitigation efforts, but that doesn't make it any less dishonest.
I don't disagree with you. The actual science has been clear (if anyone chooses to read the studies), but those who report on the science certainly cherry-pick to follow an agenda (though a noble one, as you say).

ToTBellHop

Survey after survey have also been strongly shown to be inaccurate, hence, why the generators of surveys allow a + and - accuracy fudge factor to cover their butts.
Um...no. Individual surveys have inaccuracy. That is why we watch trends over time. For example, the good trend is that, month after month, more people are willing to accept the vaccine. But, some groups are still lagging. The absolute percentage matters less than the fact that they are, indeed, lagging.

If we follow the survey data, the actual vaccine administration data supports the surveys being accurate. Minorities are taking vaccine at lower rates than white people. So the surveys tell us they are less likely to get the vaccine. Vaccine numbers tell us they aren't getting the vaccine at as high of a rate as white people. And we must address that urgently.

sullyinMT

We’re at the left end of the demand curve still, where those that want it are struggling to get appointments. As @DisneyCane pointed out, though, apparently appointment windows are slowly starting to stay open at Publix. I know, for my FIL near Las Vegas, there was one pharmacy in his area and all next week was open. The next tier should be opening soon in areas like that.

As for native populations, we’re probably in the same boat of demand vs supply. Looking at IHS data and the predominantly native counties (some reservation lands) in my area of the northern plains and Rockies, they’re following along the same distribution % as the rest of their overall state. Or, in many MT cases, better than MT as a whole. Taking into account the stronger sense of family and doing what it takes for the greater good among the nations in my area, the “wait and see-ers” may wait a shorter time than their white rancher counterparts around here. Not to mention having been disproportionately affected during our peak.

DisneyCane

I think it’s more due to 9 months of down playing the severity of the virus. There are many people who still believe Covid was a hoax or at least hyped by the mainstream media and not as large a threat. If it’s not a threat then no need for a vaccine. It’s also likely that some of the hard core believers of that went to these superspreader events and got infected already. They may be less inclined to get a vaccine if they recovered and it was ”no big deal”. Remember that Trump himself got covid, recovered and then downplayed it as no big deal to get. I think that really added to this mentality.

The better question is are these people just being blowhards when they answer polling questions. I know a few people personally who continuously downplayed Covid but now they are scrambling to make an appointment for a vaccine. Do as I say in my social media world not as I do. Hopefully that’s the case and some of those people come around. There also seems to be a disparity of vaccine acceptance based on education, income and also rural vs urban. So is it just that more rural, non-college educated, lower paid people are vaccine hesitant and they happen to skew Republican or is it that that particular group is the core of Trump’s supporters and the reason they are resistant is because of his rhetoric. In other words a more granular level of polling data may show that affluent, urban or suburban Republicans are just as likely to want the vaccine as Dems or Independents in the same area, if that’s the case it may have less to do with party affiliation and more to do with other factors.

I do suspect part of it is people screwing with pollsters. Once the vaccine is available to all who want it and we see the uptake rate by zip code, how accurate the polling was can be extrapolated. At least in the early stages of the rollout, the deep red States seem to be injecting doses just as quickly as deep blue States.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Polling in general is not that inaccurate. When a poll shows only 51% of Republicans say they will get the vaccine but 91% of Democrats say yes its highly unlikely that there is no political bias. There is a margin of error and could be an additional level of uncertainty even beyond that but not enough to make up for that difference. You don’t get a disparity that big in error.

DisneyCane

Question for those of you that reside in states without WDW, does your governor show up at vac sites and do pressers?
A two second search would answer that question as "yes."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JoeCamel

A two second search would answer that question as "yes."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He does not count. How about the lower profile non swing states?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I do suspect part of it is people screwing with pollsters. Once the vaccine is available to all who want it and we see the uptake rate by zip code, how accurate the polling was can be extrapolated. At least in the early stages of the rollout, the deep red States seem to be injecting doses just as quickly as deep blue States.
There is no way to gain any insight yet. There is a disparity between parties but more than half of Republicans still say they will get the vaccine so there’s no lack of demand now. As time goes on I absolutely think we will reach a point where everyone who wants a vaccine will have access to one in Southern states and there will still be a huge backlog of demand in the NE. That’s when the federal government will need to shift deliveries to places with higher demand. Right now everywhere has higher demand so not a problem.

There is also a disparity within states. I know by me in suburban Philly a lot of people who are eligible for the vaccine are having luck with getting appointments in the more urban surrounding areas where people are in less of a hurry to get the vaccine. Appointments aren’t readily available but seem to be a little easier to find.

DisneyCane

Polling in general is not that inaccurate. When a poll shows only 51% of Republicans say they will get the vaccine but 91% of Democrats say yes its highly unlikely that there is no political bias. There is a margin of error and could be an additional level of uncertainty even beyond that but not enough to make up for that difference. You don’t get a disparity that big in error.

The margin of error is also misunderstood by a lot of people. There is a confidence interval that comes into play also. Most polls use 95%. When a poll says "margin of error is +/- 3%" what it actually means is there is a 95% probability that the poll results are within +/- 3%, not that the results are within 3%. There is a 5% chance that the actual error is more than 3%.

He does not count. How about the lower profile non swing states?
Does Cuomo count?

sullyinMT

Question for those of you that reside in states without WDW, does your governor show up at vac sites and do pressers?
Any governor worth their salt should be doing so, or sending a member of their administration.
The press follows the executive branch, and word needs to get out when large swaths of availability are opening.
They (governors) don’t need to visit every single CVS that opens availability week over week. But large sites like stadiums, or groups of sites like the community outreach via churches, or announcing that all stores of any chain within a state are now open? I have no problem with any governor making those announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom