Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's been busted in the other CV thread.

Too bad this is an opinion piece in a conservative paper with an even more conservative editorial section by just one doctor whose field is not infectious diseases or epidemiology and this is presented as "hidden knowledge that the real experts won't tell you."

There's enough red flags here to have a May Day parade.

I'm not saying that herd immunity isn't going to play a factor come April, but it's clear this op-ed piece is just a "So we can get back to normal and stop wearing masks sooner than later" piece.

It's a re-hash of the earlier "let herd immunity take care of it" crowd, but under the pretense of "vaccinations will get us there" without consideration for sneaky variants, or the unvaccinated populations of small children and those medically compromised such that they can't medically get the vaccine.

Also: one guy with a degree is not consensus medicine.

ToTBellHop

Weekly update (slowdown this week due to weather, but things should catch back up during the week ahead):

1/24/21: 21,848,655 total, 18,502,131 first doses
1/31/21: 31,123,299 total, 25,201,143 first doses
2/7/21: 41,210,937 total, 31,579,100 first doses
2/14/21: 52,884,356 total, 38,292,270 first doses
2/21/21: 63,090,634 total, 43,628,092 first doses

10,206,278 doses in a week, 1.458 million per day (down from 11,673,419 doses in a week, 1.667 million doses per day)

5,335,822 new first doses, 0.762 million per day (down from 6,713,170 new first doses, 0.959 million per day)

MrHappy

I hear yah. BUT, it makes sense. We already posted the article where Goetlib said 40% were to have some type of immunity by the end of January. So why not think heard (70-80% immune) by April?
Clearly I don’t know how to spell his name, but he again is suggesting a rosy picture

ToTBellHop

CT’s Governor has particularly-good contact with Pfizer and Moderna (including awareness of vaccine going forward) and announced the remaining schedule here. This is likely the pace that will be possible nationwide:

Currently 65+
  • March 1, 2021: Expands to age group 55 to 64
  • March 22, 2021: Expands to age group 45 to 54
  • April 12, 2021: Expands to age group 35 to 44
  • May 3, 2021: Expands to age group 16 to 34
No prioritization for essential workers or those with comorbidities (too much skipping the line).

correcaminos

CT’s Governor has particularly-good contact with Pfizer and Moderna (including awareness of vaccine going forward) and announced the remaining schedule here. This is likely the pace that will be possible nationwide:

Currently 65+
No prioritization for essential workers or those with comorbidities (too much skipping the line).
Not really okay with that tbh. My T1D is younger but more high risk than others. I want them 1st not last. We're no where near ready to go to the next level either as due to snow we just started 65+ and those with severe disabilities.

ToTBellHop

Not really okay with that tbh. My T1D is younger but more high risk than others. I want them 1st not last. We're no where near ready to go to the next level either as due to snow we just started 65+ and those with severe disabilities.
If only people weren’t so awful about trying to jump the line. It makes it a logistical nightmare to verify eligibility.

arich35

Currently 65+
Except for Missouri who seems to be stuck

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I am so torn on this. I am also T1D and while I have a couple other co-morbidities (yay me), I am most afraid of Covid because I think if I am hospitalized the nurses will unintentionally kill me.

T1Ds have horrible hospitalization track records because they train nurses only to avoid lows, but highs can kill too, especially when your body is otherwise compromised.

On the flip side, I’m 36. Even with my trio of co-morbidities, my odds seem like they are still better than Mamaw’s. And age would allow for us to ensure we really are getting the most high risk people the soonest. I would have started with 80+ personally, dropped by 5 years at a time, and perhaps added in co-morbidities after 60 but before 55?

It’s a tough one. I certainly didn’t wait when NJ opened it up to include me.

correcaminos

I am so torn on this. I am also T1D and while I have a couple other co-morbidities (yay me), I am most afraid of Covid because I think if I am hospitalized the nurses will unintentionally kill me.

T1Ds have horrible hospitalization track records because they train nurses only to avoid lows, but highs can kill too, especially when your body is otherwise compromised.

On the flip side, I’m 36. Even with my trio of co-morbidities, my odds seem like they are still better than Mamaw’s. And age would allow for us to ensure we really are getting the most high risk people the soonest. I would have started with 80+ personally, dropped by 5 years at a time, and perhaps added in co-morbidities after 60 but before 55?

I am actually not T1D, but loved ones are. I'm actually fully vaccinated. My spouse is not and deemed essential with asthma history. That's the worst in my house. But I'm actually for the T1D getting vaccinated before my spouse. Though I'd love to go on a trip for spring break.

My state has added severe levels of comorbidities to the 65+ group. I don't think they ever hinted at age only. Teachers even jumped before some comorbidities so it's all kinds of complicated.

ToTBellHop

I’m not there personally, but my sister’s experience didn’t jive with that.
There have been issues all over the country with documentation issues, people skipping the line, issues with people who don’t have a doctor, and dose getting thrown out when there’s no one eligible.

CT and NY have a lot of demographic and political similarities. And yet CT has administered 24760 per 100k people while NY has only administered 19080 per 100k.

My claims come from what my governor said was stated by the governors of neighboring states in conversations this weekend.

correcaminos

I am actually not T1D, but loved ones are. I'm actually fully vaccinated. My spouse is not and deemed essential with asthma history. That's the worst in my house. But I'm actually for the T1D getting vaccinated before my spouse. Though I'd love to go on a trip for spring break.

My state has added severe levels of comorbidities to the 65+ group. I don't think they ever hinted at age only. Teachers even jumped before some comorbidities so it's all kinds of complicaged
If only people weren’t so awful about trying to jump the line. It makes it a logistical nightmare to verify eligibility.
Good and bad with having proof. Burden to those whose doctors are not on top of it and questions on violations of privacy. A no win.

Shouldigo12

Yeah, I wouldn't be alright with us switching to just looking at age for the next step. I would rather have the next group make the people who really need it eligible and let the unscrupulous people who want to skip do it , then make the next group mostly people who don't need it and forcing the people with a high risk comordbitiy to wait.

A system based on age alone screws over anyone young with a serious comordbitiy.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, I wouldn't be alright with us switching to just looking at age for the next step. I would rather have the next group make the people who really need it eligible and let the unscrupulous people who want to skip do it , then make the next group mostly people who don't need it and forcing the people with a high risk comordbitiy to wait.

A system based on age alone screws over anyone young with a serious comordbitiy.
It’s controversial here—but if if gets more people vaccinated more quickly, I’m all for it. Areas obsessing over exactly who should and shouldn’t get vaccine are vaccinating fewer people. I prefer opening it up to everyone as quickly as possible—as long as the reservation systems can handle it. Hearing they are begging one group to show up while you wait for your turn sucks.

correcaminos

It’s controversial here—but if if gets more people vaccinated more quickly, I’m all for it. Areas obsessing over exactly who should and shouldn’t get vaccine are vaccinating fewer people. I prefer opening it up to everyone as quickly as possible—as long as the reservation systems can handle it. Hearing they are begging one group to show up while you wait for your turn sucks.
I don't think it's making it go faster. We are limited by supply, not by willingness to get it. We're talking months differences too which is big to me. I'm not hearing anyone begging for others to show up here. We're all begging for the next group to be released. What also bugs me is inconsistencies. We could have my husband vaccinated in PA but jot OH. My loved one with 1D would've been covered too. When you have a real fear of getting covid due to a disease you have not caused from any fault of your own, it's a bigger issue than a young and healthy person who has less risk.

Complete agree!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom