Picking Parks Suggestions

arich35

We are making our way back to Disney May 7th-14th, 3 adults and a 2 year old at the Boardwalk. We plan on getting park hoppers mainly so we can visit any park (hopefully) in the later afternoon if our kid really loves something but mainly to come back to Magic Kingdom whenever for her. I am trying to plan the best days to for each park to start the day off to hopefully avoid the most crowds. Here is what we have now, would love thoughts:

Friday- Magic Kingdom
Saturday- Animal Kingdom
Sunday- Epcot
Monday- Hollywood Studios
Tuesday- Animal Kingdom
Wednesday- Hollywood Studios
Thursday- Magic Kingdom

Figured Epcot will be really close and if we want to go back in the evening for any rides that would be easy to do. Hollywood Studios will probably be more of a half day with not a ton to do for a 2 year old

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We are making our way back to Disney May 7th-14th, 3 adults and a 2 year old at the Boardwalk. We plan on getting park hoppers mainly so we can visit any park (hopefully) in the later afternoon if our kid really loves something but mainly to come back to Magic Kingdom whenever for her. I am trying to plan the best days to for each park to start the day off to hopefully avoid the most crowds. Here is what we have now, would love thoughts:

Friday- Magic Kingdom
Saturday- Animal Kingdom
Sunday- Epcot
Tuesday- Animal Kingdom
Thursday- Magic Kingdom

Figured Epcot will be really close and if we want to go back in the evening for any rides that would be easy to do. Hollywood Studios will probably be more of a half day with not a ton to do for a 2 year old

My one thought would be to avoid Epcot on the weekend - it certainly tends to get the larger local crowd on weekend days.

Granted it was 15 years ago, but when we took our 2 year old we had a full week and really only Magic Kingdom was a multiple day park for us, so although we planned similar to yours, we ended up with 3 full days at MK plus an additional afternoon there. I think MK is the most likely park to be at a crowd level where you might not be able to 'hop' to it in the afternoon, so you may want to plan a 3rd day there. Assuming that the shows are not back, I would think that either Studios or AK should just be one planned day and then you could maybe hit an afternoon at either if you need more time there.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
My one thought would be to avoid Epcot on the weekend - it certainly tends to get the larger local crowd on weekend days.

Granted it was 15 years ago, but when we took our 2 year old we had a full week and really only Magic Kingdom was a multiple day park for us, so although we planned similar to yours, we ended up with 3 full days at MK plus an additional afternoon there. I think MK is the most likely park to be at a crowd level where you might not be able to 'hop' to it in the afternoon, so you may want to plan a 3rd day there. Assuming that the shows are not back, I would think that either Studios or AK should just be one planned day and then you could maybe hit an afternoon at either if you need more time there.
Is it busier than every MK and Hollywood Studios though? I figured it would be the least busiest on the weekend, we do plan to go to Epcot probably the evenings since we will be within walking distance and it is more likely that it would sell out

Upvote 0

aliceismad

I like your itinerary. Even if Epcot is busy that Sunday, you have other chances to visit. It's great to hop to for dinners and so close to Boardwalk. We visited in May 2019, and we really enjoyed the festival decorations and food offerings.

Are you planning any half days, or going back to the resort for naps or anything? We needed a rest day or rest half days.

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Is it busier than every MK and Hollywood Studios though? I figured it would be the least busiest on the weekend, we do plan to go to Epcot probably the evenings since we will be within walking distance and it is more likely that it would sell out

MK and Studios are the only ones that hit their current park pass capacity limit on any given day (other than holidays when all four do), but their crowd is somewhat consistent between weekdays and weekends. Because of the dining (and drinking), Epcot is far more crowded with local annual passholders on the weekend. It still won't likely be at it's capacity any day you are there. I just figure if MK and Studios are going to be about the same no matter what day I go, I'd choose to visit Epcot on a day when it would be less crowded.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
I like your itinerary. Even if Epcot is busy that Sunday, you have other chances to visit. It's great to hop to for dinners and so close to Boardwalk. We visited in May 2019, and we really enjoyed the festival decorations and food offerings.

Are you planning any half days, or going back to the resort for naps or anything? We needed a rest day or rest half days.

Oh with a 2 year old I am sure we will go back quite a bit even though she has a hard time taking naps as it is but I am sure being outside and going for 4+ hours will knock her out.

I think one of the HS days will be a half day, probably the 2nd if we can get a boarding group the first day. I also think Epcot will probably end up being more of a half day. With 7 days and park hoppers we are pretty flexible but with park reservations we just need to make sure we have our first park down, also will help us make dinner reservations.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
MK and Studios are the only ones that hit their current park pass capacity limit on any given day (other than holidays when all four do), but their crowd is somewhat consistent between weekdays and weekends. Because of the dining (and drinking), Epcot is far more crowded with local annual passholders on the weekend. It still won't likely be at it's capacity any day you are there. I just figure if MK and Studios are going to be about the same no matter what day I go, I'd choose to visit Epcot on a day when it would be less crowded.

Interesting, I am curious if others who go quite often experience the same. I have no doubt we will end up in Epcot during the week for the evening maybe a couple times if it seems like wait times are low

Upvote 0

aliceismad

It might help you out to read some of the recent trip reports so you can see pictures of the crowd levels for yourself? Touring Plans has a crowd tracker, but I think you have to pay for a subscription to see that data.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Friday- Magic Kingdom
Saturday- Animal Kingdom
Sunday- Epcot
Tuesday- Animal Kingdom
Thursday- Magic Kingdom

Hollywood Studios has been the one park that consistently sells out of time slots, so if you are unsure grab those first and you can probably make changes to another park closer to your date, but DHS will not probably have slots open. If riding Rise of the Resistance is a priority, maybe put that park in earlier in your trip, because if you do ride it, you might end up not wanting an extra day at DHS(there is not a lot for 2 year olds there).
Epcot does indeed get very busy, That was the one park where we ended up not doing everything we wanted because the lines were just crushing, and that was before Rat was opening up, granted it was also the only park we visited just once.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Hollywood Studios has been the one park that consistently sells out of time slots, so if you are unsure grab those first and you can probably make changes to another park closer to your date, but DHS will not probably have slots open. If riding Rise of the Resistance is a priority, maybe put that park in earlier in your trip, because if you do ride it, you might end up not wanting an extra day at DHS(there is not a lot for 2 year olds there).
Epcot does indeed get very busy, That was the one park where we ended up not doing everything we wanted because the lines were just crushing, and that was before Rat was opening up, granted it was also the only park we visited just once.
That's a good point. Rat opening will drive demand for Epcot up.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
Gives me a lot to think about. Has DHS been selling out even on a Monday or Wednesday? I figured May 7th-14th would be one of the slower weeks in the April-May time period and nothing would really sell out (if the current capacity limits remain)

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Gives me a lot to think about. Has DHS been selling out even on a Monday or Wednesday? I figured May 7th-14th would be one of the slower weeks in the April-May time period and nothing would really sell out (if the current capacity limits remain)
This will give you an idea. Again, it looks like DHS is the only one booked solid for any days. Also, I will be honest, EVERY park might be "busy" because of the capacity limits. Just remember, it may look more packed than it actually is, and some lines are not nearly as bad as they look and some are maybe worse(looking at you 7 Dwarfs Mine Train).

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

Also, I will be honest, EVERY park might be "busy" because of the capacity limits. Just remember, it may look more packed than it actually is, and some lines are not nearly as bad as they look and some are maybe worse(looking at you 7 Dwarfs Mine Train).

I definitely wasn't even thinking about Remy opening up - that will certainly impact the crowds at Epcot. Based on our extended visit in July, Epcot was vastly different weekdays to weekend. On the weekdays we didn't really have to wait for much of anything (maybe 20 minutes, max, for Frozen and Test Track), but on the weekend even Imagination had a 30 minute wait.

As @Club Cooloholic said, the lines are not really what they seem. We found that the listed wait times were generally at least 20 minutes over the actual wait times except for a few attractions (yea, 7 Dwarfs for sure).

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Friday- Magic Kingdom
Saturday- Animal Kingdom
Sunday- Epcot
Tuesday- Animal Kingdom
Thursday- Magic Kingdom

I don't like Magic Kingdom first with a little kid. The rest of the parks can be a letdown after that excitement.

Crowds are heavy locals and passholders right now so the weekends are busier than normal. Studios is going to be busy no matter what so I would move that to Saturday. That way you kill two "crowded" birds with one stone.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
I don't like Magic Kingdom first with a little kid. The rest of the parks can be a letdown after that excitement.

Crowds are heavy locals and passholders right now so the weekends are busier than normal. Studios is going to be busy no matter what so I would move that to Saturday. That way you kill two "crowded" birds with one stone.
I am just looking forward to her excitement the first day with everything she can do but maybe you are right.

This is tough lol

What about something like this:

Friday- Magic Kingdom
Saturday-Hollywood Studios
Sunday- Animal Kingdom
Monday- Epcot
Tuesday- Hollywood Studios
Wednesday- Animal Kingdom
Thursday- Magic Kingdom

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Totally agree. If its going to be capacity might as well make it a weekend anyway.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

I am just looking forward to her excitement the first day with everything she can do but maybe you are right.

This is tough lol

Friday- Magic Kingdom
Sunday- Animal Kingdom
Monday- Epcot
Thursday- Magic Kingdom
Very solid! Also, remember a good stroller, if you don't have something like a citi mini you can rent one from a bunch of companies. They fit well through any door, turn easy and are light and it folds up easy for a car trunk or taking the disney bus. Your kid will definitely have times where they conk out and that can be nice too for the adults to walk around, push the stroller and see some sights and maybe grab a bite to eat.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

This is tough lol

Friday- Magic Kingdom
Sunday- Animal Kingdom
Monday- Epcot
Thursday- Magic Kingdom
I like it, and it's probably safe to assume that 2nd DAK can be your day to hop to Epcot.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
Very solid! Also, remember a good stroller, if you don't have something like a citi mini you can rent one from a bunch of companies. They fit well through any door, turn easy and are light and it folds up easy for a car trunk or taking the disney bus. Your kid will definitely have times where they conk out and that can be nice too for the adults to walk around, push the stroller and see some sights and maybe grab a bite to eat.
We are trying to decide what to do with the stroller, we have a Chicco Bravo that we like that is easy to fold him for the bus but trying to decide if we should get something lighter.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

We are trying to decide what to do with the stroller, we have a Chicco Bravo that we like that is easy to fold him for the bus but trying to decide if we should get something lighter.
I don't think it is much heavier than the citi mini. If you are flying, it will be nice to have it in the airport, and they will let you gate check it and have it when you deplane.
If you are thinking you don't want to being one, it's not too expensive to rent locally. They will drop it off at the hotel and pick up there

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom