Monorail Red Updated

celluloid

The poster mentioned that there were "significant" safety issues with the current system. I would like to know what specifically they are.

They have been pointed out to you multiple times.
If you are posting on a Disney Theme park fanboard with a name "Monothingie" I think it would also be fair to for one to also to presume to know of at least the major incidents. Even without that the incidents have been summarized for your request. There is no need to call that poster irresponsible.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
My head hurts, so I’m going to leave now and pop a couple aspirin...

We will see what happens when there is a plane with its exterior door stuck open. Not even Frontier Airlines would do that...
So no details on the significant safety concerns other than a door malfunction captured on social media?

BTW it happens more often than you think when door seals fail upon takeoff leading to returns to airport after takeoff.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
They have been pointed out to you multiple times.
If you are posting on a Disney Theme park fanboard with a name "Monothingie" I think it would be fair for you to also to presume to know of at least the majo incidents. There is not need to call that poster irresponsible.
It's very easy to sensationalize things that happen because of social media. For example Monorail Lime lost power due to a lightning strike and the windows were removed or broken out. It made great fodder for the media the going viral on social media, but tell me how is that a fault of the system? Same thing when Monorail Lime had the door broke off at the GF which broke off because and ECV smashed into it, again captured on social media and sensationalized.

celluloid

It's very easy to sensationalize things that happen because of social media. For example Monorail Lime lost power due to a lightning strike and the windows were removed or broken out. It made great fodder for the media the going viral on social media, but tell me how is that a fault of the system? Same thing when Monorail Lime had the door broken off at the GF which broke off because and ECV smashed into it, again captured on social media and sensationalized.

Notice how no one mentioned either of those incidents when answering your question. Not comparable to pieces of the craft falling apart or doors not closing or remaining open mid course as the vehicle is moving.

Also,if a monorail door. Breaks off because a mobility scooter his it, that is a red flag to make a change to procedures and check how strong that door was if they allow those vehicles on.
Aka...
A significant safety concern that develops over time. That is how things get better.

Disstevefan1

Actually, the original Mark IV fleet of trains were replaced in 1991 by the Mark VI trains, and the Mark VI trains have been in operation ever since.
Yes, ok, this fleet will be in operation for only almost 30 years, and as a whole the WDW monorail system had been in operation for almost 50 years.

Still an excellent track record with all the cost cuts I am sure that have been implemented over the past 30 years, especially in 2020 and going forward.

That said, is WDW overdue for a new fleet. YES! I am afraid COVID killed that too. THANKS CHINA 😡

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Notice how no one mentioned either of those incidents when answering your question. Not comparable to pieces of the craft falling apart or doors not closing or remaining open mid course as the vehicle is moving.

Also,if a monorail door. Breaks off because a mobility scooter his it, that is a red flag to make a change to procedures and check how strong that door was if they allow those vehicles on.
Aka...
A significant safety concern that develops over time. That is how things get better.
Pointing to a small number of isolated incidents that to my knowledge have not happened again is not indicative of "significant" safety issues.

Disstevefan1

I think it's important to note that the supervisor going to dinner was only one link in a chain of errors that aligned to allow the incident to happen. Weather conditions, flawed processes, and lack of situational awareness among multiple players all were contributing.

Link to the final NTSB investigation related to the incident:

Totally agree, but I think we can rule out a mechanical problem as a contributing factor.

begood524

I like that the trains are getting at least some attention, but why does every train need a delta now? It defeats the whole purpose of them - I found it harder to tell if it was Blue or Teal because they look so similar from a distance now!

MrPromey

Everybody knows about the tragic Monorail accident due to the supervisor going to dinner that caused the crash. Everyone knows that was human error.

For the almost 50 years of service and the millions and millions of people the monorail moved in that time. The monorail has an excellent track record.

Plus. The monorail is easier to evacuate than, for example, the Skyliner.

You were comparing it to the "track record" of their Skyliners. As the other poster pointed out, nobody has as of yet died on Disney's Skyliners.

But you know, fingers crossed - maybe a couple people will die and make your original statement accurate. 🙄

To be clear, I prefer the Monorails' operational record is far from spotless and that more recent mechanical issues do indicate at least a lack of maintenance on equipment that have clearly outlived their planned lifespan.

They need new trains. They've needed them for a long time.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

You were comparing it to the "track record" of their Skyliners. As the other poster pointed out, nobody has as of yet died on Disney's Skyliners.

But you know, fingers crossed - maybe a couple people will die and make your original statement accurate. 🙄
Terrible and not my point at all..... I feel sorry for you Sir.

MrPromey

Terrible and not my point at all..... I feel sorry for you Sir.
It's called sarcasm - thought the eye-roll would have been enough for you to understand.

Maybe you can explain what your actual point was then - that the skyliners haven't been in operation as long as the monorails?

I think we all know that.

You specifically referred to the "track record" which isn't about the hypotehtical. It's not about what would or could happen - it's about what has happened. Still waiting for you to explain exactly how this track record is better so far.

And yes, I prefer the monorails, too.

Disstevefan1

No it didn’t .
It was clarified in subsequent posts there were indeed several factors, none of which having to do with any mechanical failure which was the point I was trying to make. Could the system have used some sort of additional safeguards, obviously yes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom