Monorail Red Updated

Creathir

I don't understand the hesitation to replace the fleet (yes, I know, money...). Would make perfect sense to have it updated for the 50th.
Here's a super-rough timeline for DLR vs WDW monorail fleet:

DLR:
1959-1960: Mark I (2 yrs)
1961-1967: Mark II (6 yrs)
1968-1987: Mark III (19 yrs)
1988-2007: Mark V (19 yrs)
2008-Current: Mark VII (13 yrs)

WDW:
1971-1988: Mark IV (17 yrs)
1989-Current: Mark VI (32 yrs)

Anything jump out at you?
I personally think the station replacement going on at Poly and potentially Contemporary might include some necessary station reconfiguration for née trains.

But just pure speculation on my part.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I personally think the station replacement going on at Poly and potentially Contemporary might include some necessary station reconfiguration for née trains.

But just pure speculation on my part.
A major fault with the current trains is the door design which precludes a no-step entry, which is awful for wheelchair and ECVs. We've seen the ability for the automation system to deliver precise and exact stopping points for trains in the station, so it would be interesting to see if they can leverage it with any type of automated load ramp in a new station.

JoeCamel

A major fault with the current trains is the door design which precludes a no-step entry, which is awful for wheelchair and ECVs. We've seen the ability for the automation system to deliver precise and exact stopping points for trains in the station, so it would be interesting to see if they can leverage it with any type of automated load ramp in a new station.
Truck loading ramps?

Creathir

For sure, or possibly an intermediary system to allow the current trains to operate with new trains which would allow a fully level loading.

CaptainNicko

Oh absolutely. But the poor - often maligned - supervisor was local and on call, not required to be on site, and not to blame. It was a tragic chain of events where any single link in the chain breaking would have prevented the incident.
OK, so I just spent 3 hours reading NTSB reports and interviews. I blame you. ;)

Edit: It was interesting reading. Tragic, but fascinating insight on a slice of operations - https://data.ntsb.gov/Docket?NTSBNumber=DCA09FR008

Last edited:

flutas

As if on schedule...

Disone

As if on schedule...

Despite the picture, could not have been monorail orange. Monorail orange is literally partially disassembled in the shop.

The night time lighting plus headlight pointing towards the camera must throwing off the color.

flutas

Despite the picture, could not have been monorail orange. Monorail orange is literally partially disassembled in the shop.

The night time lighting plus headlight pointing towards the camera must throwing off the color.
Most likely Red(?) but I was just making a general comment about reliability after the discussions.

Granted we don't know the cause.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Some shots of Monorail Red

Monorail_Full_40926.jpg

Monorail_Full_40918.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve actually been impressed with how compliant the cast has been in areas where it would be easy not to be, as you said, very good show

also the paint job looks amazing!
Think it is very simple. Many of the CM's feel lucky they still have a jobs and they aren't going to blow it by not following the rules of wearing a mask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom