News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

DCBaker

Premium Member
EtqgpKqWQAIDHYb.jpg

corran horn

It's funny because coming off that ramp those 'fin' things on the right of picture (straddling the entrance) look like much more than what they actually are...a facade with nothing at all behind them.

I suppose that's the point.

Movielover

It's funny because coming off that ramp those 'fin' things on the right of picture (straddling the entrance) look like much more than what they actually are...a facade with nothing at all behind them.

I suppose that's the point.
So the facade is doing it's intended job? I'm confused by your statement?

Movielover

From the ground (at least the ramp going past while driving and looking over the 'berm') they look like they're a part of the building structure. I didn't realize they were just a facade until I saw them from the air in that picture.
Ahhh okay. Yeah it doesn't look like they would hide it from the air but they look good at ground level.

IveBeenJack

Found this patent for what seems to be the digital "space window" technology used in the Galactic Starcruiser (Bridge) and the Space 220 restaurant. It was published on August 13 2020, which makes sense as patents for technology that is used within Disney projects are only usually published after the project has opened. And in the case of Space 220, it was originally targeting a late 2019 opening and then was pushed back to Early 2020... but then COVID hit.

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.35.13 pm.png

What's interesting about the tech is that its like a 21st century Pepper's Ghost, using convex projections onto a concave mirror element. Apologies for the watermarking, the screenshots are just taken from my video. But also if "unscrupulous" wants it for their twitter, I feel that they should go and find the patent themselves as all the info is there for them.

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.36.35 pm.png
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.36.27 pm.png

GimpYancIent

Found this patent for what seems to be the digital "space window" technology used in the Galactic Starcruiser (Bridge) and the Space 220 restaurant. It was published on August 13 2020, which makes sense as patents for technology that is used within Disney projects are only usually published after the project has opened. And in the case of Space 220, it was originally targeting a late 2019 opening and then was pushed back to Early 2020... but then COVID hit.

View attachment 530643

What's interesting about the tech is that its like a 21st century Pepper's Ghost, using convex projections onto a concave mirror element. Apologies for the watermarking, the screenshots are just taken from my video. But also if "unscrupulous" wants it for their twitter, I feel that they should go and find the patent themselves as all the info is there for them.

View attachment 530642View attachment 530640

Good find! What about the interactive Star Wars restaurant? If this is a cruise experience, well!, dining is a huge thing on cruises.

IveBeenJack

I assume this tech will be used for all of the large spaces on the ship like the bridge, lobby, and of course restaurant.
From what I can gather this technique will definitely be used for the The Bridge experience. As that whole gameplay component is a major part of the SWGS experience. I would guess the windows in the cabins will use a simpler system.

Disstevefan1

View attachment 530643

View attachment 530642View attachment 530640

This is fantastic! I hope I get to see this before it breaks and they replace it with flat screens or giant lithography of space scenes.

Movielover

From what I can gather this technique will definitely be used for the The Bridge experience. As that whole gameplay component is a major part of the SWGS experience. I would guess the windows in the cabins will use a simpler system.
Which is why I didn't mention the cabins. Those cabin windows are clearly smaller screens.

corran horn

Interesting to me those Enterprise-D type windows on the side of the building at apparently 3 levels. I'm too lazy to see if the 'ship' has 3 decks in published plans. They plainly cannot be for viewing inside to outside. Maybe for fire code purposes?

GimpYancIent

It will be interesting when it actually comes on line how the interaction of characters and guests will be conducted now that COVID19 protocols are in place, or, is the hope that all the need for protocols would have gone away by that time?

_caleb

It will be interesting when it actually comes on line how the interaction of characters and guests will be conducted now that COVID19 protocols are in place, or, is the hope that all the need for protocols would have gone away by that time?
I could see an in-character explanation for masks (be sure to wear your respirators- we have people from multiple planetary systems onboard!), but yeah, I think the relatively close quarters will make this a post-pandemic launch.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Covid is a modern day virus. It did not exist "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away". No need for any protocols. :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom