Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Analyst

Canada’s vaccine rollout has been rough, but pretty much due to the fact we don’t manufacture any of our own. We are relying on others, and that’s the frustration. I truly hope Moderna and Pfizer can ramp up soon and get us back on track, being shorted / getting no vaccine is no fun.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm sure we'll need a shot (booster I suppose) every year. I know there was talk maybe it wouldn't be as soon, maybe every two years, but I'm not that optimistic.
It’s possible we will need future vaccinations or boosters.

It’s also possible that Covid becomes endemic (always around) but it also becomes as harmless as other corona viruses. The theory is that once infected (or vaccinated) we have a level of immunity which may fade over time but a future infection would act almost like a booster shot and reactivate our immune response. So while Covid will circulate indefinitely it won’t be a problem. This was all based on a study by researchers at Emory and Penn State. The theory is based off of studies of other Coronaviruses that are endemic. We all get infected with them as small children when they cause nothing more than cold like symptoms and then our immune response going forward is triggered making the virus nothing more than a common cold. The reason Covid was such an issue is no adults had immunity to it unlike the other Corona viruses that we all get exposed to as children. Makes some sense considering kids seem to be less impacted by this virus too. Of course with a good vaccine kids going forward could just be vaccinated and develop immunity without ever having any symptoms. So it’s possible kids get a Covid shot as part of normal childhood vaccinations.

I had read somewhere that a theory is the other Corona viruses may have started as a pandemic hundreds of years ago and then became endemic common cold viruses in a similar manner. We just didn’t have the technology back then to identify them and understand what was happening.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 142 new reported deaths, along with 3 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 2.39.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 2.39.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 2.39.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 2.38.49 PM.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

This is not new news. It has already been reported that Astrazeneca/Oxford is weak against that variant.

none of the more than 2,000 patients in the study died or was hospitalised

We don't know if the two current vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are any better than Astrazeneca since they haven't been tested against this variant (AFAIK).

Lilofan

Canada’s vaccine rollout has been rough, but pretty much due to the fact we don’t manufacture any of our own. We are relying on others, and that’s the frustration. I truly hope Moderna and Pfizer can ramp up soon and get us back on track, being shorted / getting no vaccine is no fun.
I heard Canada has a neat perk for residents. Quarantine and get paid for it courtesy of the Canadian govt. Hopefully the our friends from the great white north can get a better rollout .

correcaminos

This is not new news. It has already been reported that Astrazeneca/Oxford is weak against that variant.

We don't know if the two current vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are any better than Astrazeneca since they haven't been tested against this variant (AFAIK).
They have ideas that it is effective. It may not last as long but for this initial roll out it's still effective https://investors.modernatx.com/new...vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

Disney Analyst

I heard Canada has a neat perk for residents. Quarantine and get paid for it courtesy of the Canadian govt. Hopefully the our friends from the great white north can get a better rollout .

Not exactly.

If you are unable to work due to Covid (i.e. you are sick or taking care of someone who is, you’ve lost work due to Covid etc.) then yes, there are benefits you can apply for, it was a Covid benefit for the first chunk of pandemic, now it’s all under EI (employee insurance), which we all pay into off our pay cheques.

Generally you only go onto EI if you’ve lost work due to no fault of your own and are actively searching for new work. But they’ve expanded and broadened it now due to covid.

But you can’t just international travel, then do your 14 day quarantine and get paid during that 14 days. And now you have to stay in an approved hotel upon arrival for up to 3 days (at your own expense) until you have a negative test result, and then you can finish quarantine at home.

JoeCamel

Not exactly.

If you are unable to work due to Covid (i.e. you are sick or taking care of someone who is, you’ve lost work due to Covid etc.) then yes, there are benefits you can apply for, it was a Covid benefit for the first chunk of pandemic, now it’s all under EI (employee insurance), which we all pay into off our pay cheques.

Generally you only go onto EI if you’ve lost work due to no fault of your own and are actively searching for new work. But they’ve expanded and broadened it now due to covid.

But you can’t just international travel, then do your 14 day quarantine and get paid during that 14 days. And now you have to stay in an approved hotel upon arrival for up to 3 days (at your own expense) until you have a negative test result, and then you can finish quarantine at home.
Well I am sure when the whole country went on the dole the government just cut those checks out of that big pot of money they have laying around.
I'm not sure why people think money from the government is a "perk". It all has to be paid for and the handling costs are huge. Inefficient doesn't even begin to cover it.

Lilofan

Well I am sure when the whole country went on the dole the government just cut those checks out of that big pot of money they have laying around.
I'm not sure why people think money from the government is a "perk". It all has to be paid for and the handling costs are huge. Inefficient doesn't even begin to cover it.
Change the word " perk' to " benefit".

GoofGoof

Premium Member

So is It less effective in S Africa (expected) or does it provide no protection? The tweet says it provides no protection which would definitely be odd. Then the headline below the picture says it’s less effective. Less effective doesn’t mean no protection. The JnJ vaccine had lower efficacy in S Africa too but it didn’t provide no protection at all. Could just be a clickbait tweet. We will have to see what the actual report says.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So is It less effective in S Africa (expected) or does it provide no protection? The tweet says it provides no protection which would definitely be odd. Then the headline below the picture says it’s less effective. Less effective doesn’t mean no protection. The JnJ vaccine had lower efficacy in S Africa too but it didn’t provide no protection at all. Could just be a clickbait tweet. We will have to see what the actual report says.
No protection against *mild* and *moderate* disease. You still get sick. But, so far, no one has been hospitalized or killed due to COVID after getting that vaccine.

Tom P.

Personal opinion only: I think masks go away by the end of summer. Why? Because I think people will simply stop wearing them. I'm not making a judgment on whether that's right or wrong. But when we have hundreds of millions of doses of vaccine out there, people are just going to say, "I'm going back to normal," whether governmental authorities want them to or not.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Personal opinion only: I think masks go away by the end of summer. Why? Because I think people will simply stop wearing them. I'm not making a judgment on whether that's right or wrong. But when we have hundreds of millions of doses of vaccine out there, people are just going to say, "I'm going back to normal," whether governmental authorities want them to or not.
Disney's legal team may have a different opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom