Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryJaneP

In addition, immune health 101 should have been taught to every person willing to learn. There are certain actions you can take to boost your immune system (broccoli sprouts FTW), although you'd never know it by listening to our elected officials.
Was everyone willing to learn? Not in this area! It seems like to truly make progress, even the unwilling must learn AND then to comply. Resistance against acting to stop this virus is futile. No masks, no vaccine, no social distancing, no hand-washing. Yeah, real soon.

Bill in Atlanta

This is the song that never ends,
Yes it goes on and on my friends!
Some people started singing it,
Not knowing what it was!
But they’ll be singing it forever just because,
This is the song that never ends,
Yes it goes on and on my friends!
Some people started singing it,
Not knowing what it was!
But they’ll be singing it forever just because...
😝
I wish the song would end, so we can get back to signing our Disney favorites again. And not in that muffled singing-behind-a-mask voice, either!

Bill in Atlanta

Was everyone willing to learn? Not in this area! It seems like to truly make progress, even the unwilling must learn AND then to comply. Resistance against acting to stop this virus is futile. No masks, no vaccine, no social distancing, no hand-washing. Yeah, real soon.
Good point. I always see those "get moving" public health billboards and I wonder how many people start exercising because of those.

I just never could understand why, if our immune system is our critical defense against the virus, why we don't hear more about, you know, bolstering our defenses. Our troops could use some extra weapons & armor!

Bill in Atlanta

So we should just let health care workers get burned out because the ICUs are overrun and even the funeral homes have no more room.

Or you can realize what they thought based on good science wasn't enough and we need to do more. Info changes and I suggest you change with it too.

Once people are vaccinated I suspect we will get back to normal.
In theory, there would be fewer people in ICUs if a massive operation to identify & protect the high-risk were successful. That's what I was getting at. We knew early on that it was the elderly & those with certain medical conditions. That's where our laser focus should have been. I believe much of the collateral damage was unnecessary.

Chi84

Premium Member
In theory, there would be fewer people in ICUs if a massive operation to identify & protect the high-risk were successful. That's what I was getting at. We knew early on that it was the elderly & those with certain medical conditions. That's where our laser focus should have been. I believe much of the collateral damage was unnecessary.
Was that possible at the time though? At the start there weren’t enough tests or contact tracers and there wasn’t anything close to guidance on a national level. Things always look more doable in hindsight.

I’m also wondering how feasible it would have been to try to protect high risk groups while letting the virus spread unchecked through the general population.

Disney Experience

😝
I wish the song would end, so we can get back to signing our Disney favorites again. And not in that muffled singing-behind-a-mask voice, either!
Years ago I took my teenage niece to Disneyworld and at one point I said, "Let us go on It's a small world."

She responded, "No! It's evil!"

I turned to her and said, "Why is it evil?"

"The song, the song, you cannot get it out your head once you hear it.", she replied.

I chuckled, and we did not go on the ride. But days later we had dinner at the Mexican Pavilion in EPCOT.
I took her on the boat ride after dinner. She had never been on it before, so agreed to ride it. Little did she know that part of the ride was originally meant to be included in It's a small World. I told her after we got on the boat ride.

(I have to admit I can still hear the theme song of It's a small world in my head from both Disneyland and Disneyworld)

lazyboy97o

And when you actually start figuring out who is in your isolation group you get to a majority of people. The concept doesn’t work which is why nobody who keeps pushing this idea can explain all of the details.

correcaminos

Just stop please. I have a friend who died who was not high risk. Another super fit young friend 4 months out of work. Friends in the ER struggling because of selfish attitudes. It's not just elderly and high risk dying or suffering from this. Our laser focus should have been on the pandemic and instead we have people ignoring it and posts like this. Our government failed us greatly. And your supposed collateral damage comment? Nope, we didn't do enough.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Remember this graph from last March?
View attachment 528624
There was a line of thinking that once the curve was flattened (this would take a few weeks, we thought), and hospital overload was no longer a concern, then our next logical step would be: Protect the vulnerable, and get back to normal. We knew by then that the most vulnerable were those age 75+, and those with certain health conditions.

There was a lot of support for this line of thinking, but it did not win out. Governors, rather than warning the vulnerable to stay away from restaurants and shops, closed them to everyone instead.

Was this the right move? I say no. So what could have been done differently?

A concerted, world-class operation to identify & protect those at highest risk of death from covid-19 should have been the priority. Most of these would have been in nursing homes & hospitals. We could have provided them with protocols & funding to keep those residents & patients as safe as possible. All others in the high-risk category should have been warned to avoid public gatherings (a la "expecting mothers should not ride").

As you do that, keep everything open. Would there be an economic slowdown anyway? Sure, but 20 million people wouldn't have lost their jobs in a month either.

In addition, immune health 101 should have been taught to every person willing to learn. There are certain actions you can take to boost your immune system (broccoli sprouts FTW), although you'd never know it by listening to our elected officials.

Instead, we crashed the economy, sent millions into unemployment & despair, creating a ripple effect that will damage the fabric of our society for generations, and told everyone to hide under their beds until a vaccine is ready. And now that the vaccine is ready, that's still not good enough to get back to normal because it's only 95% effective.🤦‍♂️

The continuous goal post shifting tells me that we are searching for a zero-risk world, which simply does not exist.
No country successfully implemented the protect the high risk plan because it’s virtually impossible to do. 20 million people are unemployed due to the pandemic. If you isolated all of the high risk people that would amount to a whole lot more than 20M people who could no longer work. There are estimates into the hundreds of millions if you include medical conditions and age. Retired people may not be heavily impacted but the rest would. Some may be able to move to work from home jobs but many, many people with health conditions also have to work. So the plan is to not allow them to work or even leave their homes so that another 20 million people may not be unemployed. That seems kinda flawed.

Incomudro

Good point. I always see those "get moving" public health billboards and I wonder how many people start exercising because of those.

I just never could understand why, if our immune system is our critical defense against the virus, why we don't hear more about, you know, bolstering our defenses. Our troops could use some extra weapons & armor!
Because we now live in a country where even suggesting anyone do something about their own health - or even that they are capable of controlling their own health - is taboo.
Unless we ask them to do the zero effort move of putting the type of mask on their face that any healthcare professional previous to the covid19 breakout would tell you is ineffective at stopping virus's.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

"$30"
"available over the counter in pharmacies, drug stores and online"
"95 percent accuracy within 15 minutes"
"ship 100,000 test kits per month to the U.S. from February through July"
"$230 million deal"
"Thanks to this contract, they’ll be able to scale the production to manufacture over 19 million test kits per month by the end of this year, 8.5 million of which are guaranteed to the U.S. government."
"appropriate for people ages 2 and older,"
"They can be used if you feel symptoms of Covid-19 and also for screening for people without symptoms, so they can safely go to work, to school and to events."

Those are the bullet points. At that cost, it's to expensive to just do one every day. Plus there wouldn't be supply, at least for a long time. Hopefully as they ramp up scale, the unit cost will go down. Still, it'll be something that could be done every week. In a K-6 school, first grade on Monday, second Tuesday, ..., fifth and sixth on Friday. That kind of surveillance testing should give an early warning before an outbreak get's huge.

I don't think it's likely for every guest at the front gate. There probably isn't $30 of profit in every ticket that they're willing to just give up. But, test every park employee every week is certainly possible. They could test every resort guest on check in. It's not full proof, but some early surveillance testing to even catch a few.

The test uses an analyzer that connects to your phone, I wonder if that is part of the $30? If it is, then presumably that part could be re-used for multiple tests and the other components would be much cheaper.

BrianLo

Unless we ask them to do the zero effort move of putting the type of mask on their face that any healthcare professional previous to the covid19 breakout would tell you is ineffective at stopping virus's.

Huh? Guess I better let IP&C know they were making us wear gowns and masks for no reason for decades before COVID-19 came along.

Literally masks, gowns, gloves and face shields are utilized every day during any past respiratory viral season for every patient.

The difference being whether large scale public use would make a difference with people being super unreliable in the usage? And I hate to break it to you but this year has demonstrated it has worked amazingly effectively.

hopemax

Huh? Guess I better let IP&C know they were making us wear gowns and masks for no reason for decades before COVID-19 came along.

Literally masks, gowns, gloves and face shields are utilized every day during any past respiratory viral season for every patient.

The difference being whether large scale public use would make a difference with people being super unreliable in the usage? And I hate to break it to you but this year has demonstrated it has worked amazingly effectively.
We just had several pages of worries that since we killed the flu and other viruses this winter, we'll be forcing people to wear masks in the years to come.

And now we're back to: masks do nothing against viruses.

🤔

BrianLo

Its a lovely idea, but it is not a viable plan.

Imagine this was a forest fire and you wanted to protect 10% of the forest?

What you are suggesting is to completely ignore whatever is happening in the other 90%. Utilize zero mitigation. Put all the fire fighters on the single plot of land and be surprised when the forest fire overwhelms the single line of defense and breaks through?

Now imagine that 10% of the forest is fairly equally scattered and distributed throughout the other 90% you aren’t worrying about. Like what happens with humanity. You can’t gather 10% of humanity up and hide them away.

Now imagine it’s actually 40% of the forest that is at risk... and uncommonly some of the healthy forest you also realized outside of the 40% post Mortem needed protecting.

If you want to protect the vulnerable, you need to protect the entire herd. Nature repeats this over and over again.

The only strategy has been to reduce caseload and we’ve suffered an entire year of people trying to convince us anything but this number matters.

Sorry, but you were all wrong. And I’m even sorrier that by and large the US went with this plan (for the most part) and people suffered as a result. It didn’t work because it wasn’t a plan.

BrianLo

One final thing and I’m done - No one has ever suggested the moment vaccines were available restrictions would be done.

The discussion point is once vaccines are actually widely available for all, AND easy to secure, AND easy to get everywhere, AND 6-8 weeks after that tipping point so everyone can actually complete their series.

THEN we can talk about the merits of restrictions lifting. Why some posters are fretting about something that isn’t occurring to the Fall like they backed out of a promise today is silly

Unfortunately even after that point most International destinations will still be poorly vaccinated. Increasing the risks of importing vaccine eluding variants due to selective pressure. So even then some forms of International travel measures should be needed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

He has already demonstrated from past comments that he doesn't understand how viral transmission works.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Moderna looking for ways to boost capacity of doses delivered. They are proposing adding additional doses to each vial from 10 to 15 which would allow them to ship 50% more doses in the same number of vials and since it takes time to fill each vial they would be able to crank out more doses each day. Under the current setup they are approaching manufacturing a million doses a day but this would help grow that number even larger.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Moderna looking for ways to boost capacity of doses delivered. They are proposing adding additional doses to each vial from 10 to 15 which would allow them to ship 50% more doses in the same number of vials and since it takes time to fill each vial they would be able to crank out more doses each day. Under the current setup they are approaching manufacturing a million doses a day but this would help grow that number even larger.

I guess one of the potential downsides of this is that it could increase waste. Once you break the seal on the Moderna vial you have to use it in 6 hours. So the more doses per vial the greater chance you will have leftover doses.

mmascari

The test uses an analyzer that connects to your phone, I wonder if that is part of the $30? If it is, then presumably that part could be re-used for multiple tests and the other components would be much cheaper.
I couldn't tell from the article what all is happening in the analyzer. It's very possible that parts of it are consumed, probably likely from the description.

A requirement to clean, change the consumable parts, and reassemble the device to the same standard would change how it's constructed. Perhaps as a two part device. Part one the consumable and the minimum surrounding parts to house it, and part two that's the reusable electronics. It's possible they did this and the modular construction increased the cost enough that it was more than just trashing the whole thing.

It sounds like a good idea to reuse. There's just other impacts hiding in there that could derail it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom