Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Kman

your thoughts are contradicotory

colonialism is all bad and can have nothing good said about it

but the united states, a product of colonialism, can be good? cognitive dissonance

the united states would then be an example of something good coming from colonialism...

Questionable

LittleBuford

With her permission, I'm sharing this wonderfully compelling post by @raven24 from the Disneyland board. I urge everyone to read it carefully and really consider what she's saying:

That’s you though. You’re welcome to not feel anything when you float by white animatronics, not feel inspired, and move on. But this isn’t about how this effects white people. I as a black woman experience color, race, and representation in an entirely different way. The lack of healthy and diverse representation of the black community has been a cycle that continued for centuries, especially here in America, and has just now started to shift a bit. There’s a reason why black people went nuts and spent money on brand new outfits just to see Black Panther at the theater. Finally we were seeing ourselves on the big screen not as slaves and savages/“thugs,” but as a powerful and intelligent group of black people.

It’s not “just a fun ride at an amusement park” for us minorities who rarely see ourselves in progressive and healthy/different in entertainment. You have the privilege (yes, privilege) of not having to worry about NOT seeing your race represented in diverse and plentiful ways. Growing up as a black child in the early 90s with no proper representation anywhere I looked, including Disneyland, as well as attending school with mostly white children obliterated my self esteem. I HATED being black and wished I was white. I hated my kinky hair, my physical features, and especially hated that I was descended from slaves. I struggled from elementary all the way through high school. It wasn’t until I took an African American studies course taught by a proud black woman as a freshman in college (something I never saw in school) when I finally started to shed that toxic negativity. It took years of learning about black history in college and learning to self love to undo years of pain and self-hatred.

Thank God society is taking representation more seriously nowadays and doing a better job of trying to be more inclusive. I never had a Princess Tiana at Disneyland as a child. She will most likely be the only black princess Disney creates, so I hope they continue to place her in the parks in as many mediums as possible to and hopefully spare some little black girls of the self-loathing I experienced. I love seeing the faces of young black children light up when they see her in the parks. That was something I desperately needed as a kid. Minority children NEED to see representations of themselves outside of their homes, including at theme parks such as Disneyland. I wrote a short paper on this topic for a writing competition by Disney years ago and was rewarded for it. I’m happy to know they are making changes.

What’s telling is @Dr. Hans Reinhardt and I are the only black regulars here (I believe) and very few of you, you included TP, have made an attempt to ask us questions to gain our perspective on this topic which concerns black representation (the ones screaming WHO CARES and AFRICANS USED SPEARS IN THE JUNGLE). And that’s because you guys and gals don’t care. You don’t care to be educated on this topic, you don’t care to understand how we as black people might mentally and emotionally respond to things like this. You simply don’t care because you enjoy it and want to continue to be able to enjoy the ride without having to be forced into questioning the ride, all while mocking efforts for inclusivity and healthy representation. Let’s keep it real.

Continue enjoying Lincoln.

Buck Wheelie

If I remember correctly, JC is set on the Amazon in South America. The people patrolling the jungle would not be white. Those offended by something like JC are just looking for something to be offended by. Will it really make it better by having a tribesman in JC be a white guy?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If I remember correctly, JC is set on the Amazon in South America. The people patrolling the jungle would not be white. Those offended by something like JC are just looking for something to be offended by. Will it really make it better by having a tribesman in JC be a white guy?
Or, you can read the thread first before posting.

MaryJaneP

Prior post asked for definition of "American". Previously told it was a label applied to "the New World" after it was "discovered" by the European conquerors and comes from the name of a map maker (Amerigo Vespuci). There is South America, Central America, and North America. North America is primarily composed of Canada, The United States of America, and Mexico. Not sure what it was called by all the native people already living there.

Buck Wheelie

Then you don't have time to post here or to troll people into whatever glib trap you were preparing with your innocent question.
Sorry you think I'm trolling because I have an opinion different than yours. Its a message board where people who are fans of Disney share their thoughts and ideas. I don't know why you find that a trap.

matt9112

I agree the Jungle Cruise changes will cost far less than what they’ve announced for Splash Mountain. But in an environment where construction projects have been put on hold, it’s remarkable that Disney is still saying they’re moving forward with these changes. No doubt they’ll try to leverage this for positive PR, but there are lots of other ways they could get more bang for their buck if that’s all this was about.

I would agree with you if this was isolated but they are intentionally making it a big deal. (Announcing it in the same fashion as a new attraction) it is hand and hand with the direction of the entire TWDC. Look at there films division lately. There attempting to make POC and the like a bigger deal...unless of course its china. Im not arguing for or against just pointing out it is a company wide push. It might be something they want to do genuinely but they will sqeeze every drop of PR out of it.

TWDC cares about one thing..money if this makes sense from that angle than they will do that. The fact they made the primary black character smaller on star wars adverts for china proves (imho) its really just pander to the base...in the west its one way in the east....another.

rylouisbo

With her permission, I'm sharing this wonderfully compelling post by @raven24 from the Disneyland board. I urge everyone to read it carefully and really consider what she's saying:
youre quoted post starts off by saying they dont care what white people think or feel its just about them... lol sounds pretty racist to me.

i laugh because i disagree with almost every thing youre saying and have a completely different outlook on the world so theres nothing left to say.

you could just as easily have quoted the people of color who have posted in this thread with opinions opposite of the one you chose but you ignore them.

rylouisbo

I really think it's essential reading for anyone participating in this thread. It moves us beyond simplistic notions of what is and isn't offensive and helps to explain what's at stake for those who advocate for greater diversity and inclusivity.
heres the thing i'm not sure you are getting about people arguing. we've seen the opposing opinion, i've listened to comments like the one you posted, i understand what they are trying to say but... i disagree with it and i've given many points to rebut what you and others have been saying. Somehow though it doesnt seem as though youre actually listening to my point of view and simply demanding i hear yours.

there a quite few things that almost all of us would agree on. like its good to have diverse characters and rides, its good to have different races/religions/ideas represented. just want to make that clear.

what we differ on is the rhetoric and approach to doing this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom