News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wonder why any guest would want to currently be staying at the Poly. What is the draw?

nicb88

Wonder why any guest would want to currently be staying at the Poly. What is the draw?
Save for the broken water main, which I’m sure will be fixed quickly, it’s only the entry point that’s under construction. ‘Ohana is closed but the rest of the resort is open and it’s only DVC guests that are staying at the moment. So I don’t think it would be too bad!

DisneyOutsider

Rooms/resort grounds with a castle view.. convenient boat access to MK via either TTC or poly resort boat (both very short walks), two nice pools with hot tubs, Capt. Cook's, Kona, dole whips. No monorail access and no Ohana and Trader Sam's is a real bummer.. but with discounted rates this resort still has some things going for it. Really makes me miss how special it was when at full-strength.

splashtest

We are staying there in May. Only open to DVC means much less crowds on property and in the pools. I think it sounds like a dream. The only downside is the monorail being down. Instead we will board from TTC when needed. No big deal.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We are staying there in May. Only open to DVC means much less crowds on property and in the pools. I think it sounds like a dream. The only downside is the monorail being down. Instead we will board from TTC when needed. No big deal.
Some people are Tolerant of major construction noises. I don’t find it dreamy Or what I want in vacation. We were at the French Quarter when their last major update happened. Wasn’t tranquil hammering, deconstruction or drilling We were relocated onrequest to POR.

Brer Oswald

If I’m assuming correct, are all of those beautiful luscious ponds gone? Cause if so, and they have no plans to replace them, what a disappointment. Truly one of the most beautiful spots on property I had ever experienced.

Figments Friend

If I’m assuming correct, are all of those beautiful luscious ponds gone? Cause if so, and they have no plans to replace them, what a disappointment. Truly one of the most beautiful spots on property I had ever experienced.

Yes, the entrance water features are now gone but there are plans to replace them with a similar feature.
Hopefully not the type of 'replacement' we received regarding the water feature that used to be in the Poly lobby....
😑
We shall see what that entails at some point.

From the Disney Parks Blog article related to the work being done.
We are being promised 'enhancements to the lush gardens and fountains' -

"Enhancements will also be made to the lush gardens and fountains that have welcomed guests to the resort since opening day.
The open and airy design of the entryway will feature dramatic lighting elements, including beautiful chandeliers inspired by glass floats, fishing nets and oversized bamboo elements. The new chandeliers will match the existing grand chandelier in the resort lobby, artfully bridging interior and exterior spaces."

-

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Yes, the entrance water features are now gone but there are plans to replace them with a similar feature.
Hopefully not the type of 'replacement' we received regarding the water feature that used to be in the Poly lobby....
😑
We shall see what that entails at some point.

From the Disney Parks Blog article related to the work being done.
We are being promised 'enhancements to the lush gardens and fountains' -

"Enhancements will also be made to the lush gardens and fountains that have welcomed guests to the resort since opening day.
The open and airy design of the entryway will feature dramatic lighting elements, including beautiful chandeliers inspired by glass floats, fishing nets and oversized bamboo elements. The new chandeliers will match the existing grand chandelier in the resort lobby, artfully bridging interior and exterior spaces."

-
I figured about as much. If they can replace them with something better that captures the same feel, by all means. But lately, they’ve been going overboard with the minimalist design style. Occasionally, it works, but most of the time, it feels sterile and soulless (ie. World of Disney). You can modernize something while still retaining its unique attributes.

On the topic of the lobby fountain, I’m really disappointed I never got to see it in person. I had plenty of opportunities to, but I didn’t make an annual event of visiting the expensive resorts until 2015.

Figments Friend

I figured about as much. If they can replace them with something better that captures the same feel, by all means. But lately, they’ve been going overboard with the minimalist design style. Occasionally, it works, but most of the time, it feels sterile and soulless (ie. World of Disney). You can modernize something while still retaining its unique attributes.

On the topic of the lobby fountain, I’m really disappointed I never got to see it in person. I had plenty of opportunities to, but I didn’t make an annual event of visiting the expensive resorts until 2015.

The original Poly lobby was a thing of true beauty.
It's own little hemisphere of living flora...a 'tropical biosphere' under a hotel roof.

Saw it many times during my visits over the years, although i have never roomed at the Polynesian Resort.
Always made time to go over there and just explore, and enjoy the 'retro' ambiance.
Many 'old' 70s era elements were still present up until the big remodel a few years back.

-

Bocabear

I have zero confidence that they will actually replace the beautiful arrival water features with something similar...When they do we can be sure it will be a miniaturized charmless accent on the walkway, but nothing close to what they once had. I understand the need for refurbishment, but wander why they can't restore back to the same standards of the original...or better... always less and more plain. It is a real bummer. Be ready for a pile of broken lava rocks with a trickle of water... like the Entrance monument, Lobby Fountain, and Trader Sam's Patio... Meh.
Plus if they actually planned to do something wonderful, they would already be hyping the fabulous new water feature...

OG Runner

I have been going to Disney World since 1986. I was really against them redoing the lobby at the Polynesian. Now though, when you
compare the two, it is really amazing how much room the old centerpiece took up. It really is nicer, brighter and airier now.
I am also hoping for a new water area at the entrance. It did always give you a nice feeling of transition.

SplashJacket

I have been going to Disney World since 1986. I was really against them redoing the lobby at the Polynesian. Now though, when you
compare the two, it is really amazing how much room the old centerpiece took up. It really is nicer, brighter and airier now.
I am also hoping for a new water area at the entrance. It did always give you a nice feeling of transition.
I definitely think a middle ground between the two versions would have been ideal.

Bocabear

Yes it is more airy and modern...but less special overall. There is no real wow moment that everyone had when they walked through the doors...Now it is an airy hotel lobby...not the unexpected and dramatic place-setting that there once was.
I am hoping in a year we are not hearing..."Wow the arrival area outside is so open and airy...I never realized how much room the plants and water took up"...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom