What are Florida's Covid restrictions in relation to attractions?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I am not Canadian but I am down in Central Florida on vacation right now. I am spending money and tipping like crazy. I feel bad for the state of the hospitality industry here right now. I retired here and owned a hotel 12 years ago but have since left the area. Before anyone jumps on me which I am sure they will anyway. My wife and I have both had COVID. We are putting NO ONE at risk. We are supporting the people that need it while enjoying ourselves. I am generally tipping around 100% at restaurants. Every sit down restaurant we have been to has had maybe a few tables occupied. There has to be some balance. If places are open then they need customers. If everyone is shamed for going on vacation these places will close. These people WILL NOT be employed. FL unemployment benefits cover very little and people cannot live off it. I know that the OP was about going to FL because it is a free for all, but all those that think that are off base. It is safe here and businesses for the most part are following guidelines. The hotel I owned has closed down and not entirely due to COVID. It did play a big part of it. If you have a 2 star hotel 3 miles from Disney and you can't make money you are doing something wrong. I have paid the rent for 3 of my ex employees for the last 6 months because they have nowhere to get jobs, and they are decent people. I am not a rich man, but I have been blessed. That hotel and the way they operated made me really good money. I also sold it at a good time. My whole point is that Central FL needs the business. As the vaccine gets rolled out the whole idea of keeping the workers safe is a joke. These people want to work, because the want to survive. No one can make it in FL on unemployment. I am going to actually start a separate post to discuss this.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I am not Canadian but I am down in Central Florida on vacation right now. I am spending money and tipping like crazy. I feel bad for the state of the hospitality industry here right now. I retired here and owned a hotel 12 years ago but have since left the area. Before anyone jumps on me which I am sure they will anyway. My wife and I have both had COVID. We are putting NO ONE at risk. We are supporting the people that need it while enjoying ourselves. I am generally tipping around 100% at restaurants. Every sit down restaurant we have been to has had maybe a few tables occupied. There has to be some balance. If places are open then they need customers. If everyone is shamed for going on vacation these places will close. These people WILL NOT be employed. FL unemployment benefits cover very little and people cannot live off it. I know that the OP was about going to FL because it is a free for all, but all those that think that are off base. It is safe here and businesses for the most part are following guidelines. The hotel I owned has closed down and not entirely due to COVID. It did play a big part of it. If you have a 2 star hotel 3 miles from Disney and you can't make money you are doing something wrong. I have paid the rent for 3 of my ex employees for the last 6 months because they have nowhere to get jobs, and they are decent people. I am not a rich man, but I have been blessed. That hotel and the way they operated made me really good money. I also sold it at a good time. My whole point is that Central FL needs the business. As the vaccine gets rolled out the whole idea of keeping the workers safe is a joke. These people want to work, because the want to survive. No one can make it in FL on unemployment. I am going to actually start a separate post to discuss this.
Just an FYI .
Just because you have had covid doesn't mean

1. You can't catch it again
B) you can't be a carrier and infect someone else.

That being said, if you feel comfortable and are taking all the relevant precautions then go banana with your vacation đź‘Ť

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Sorry, forgot this part...

Restaurants: Not really. Most require masks except when seated, and sadly, most cannot even fill up 75% of their tables. People still don't want to eat out. Avoid ones that have a limited menu - they probably lost their cooks and the quality will reflect that. Shula's at the Dolphin is my exhibit A for that.

Parks: As far as I know, all require masks for indoor locations. Disney, Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens require them in the parks. No free range faces are allowed.

Don't know about Titanic or Old Town.

Resort Restrictions: I have stayed at Marriott properties and they require masks in indoor public spaces. The JW Marriott did not require a mask in the pool area if you were either in the water or sitting in you lounge chair.

Counties: Yes, some are better than others. Urban counties tend to have more restrictions than rural counties.

Beaches: No restrictions that I have seen.

As far as theme parks go, my opinion is that they are okay at the Florida resident price point. I would not pay normal prices to visit them right now.

Okay thank you. Yeah, I do hear a lot about Florida. According to the Governor I am hearing that they are trying to get the Super Bowl to be as normal as possible, but I guess it all depends on the county as well. That's why I ask here, because I am not planning a trip to Florida if things are restricted. That just won't be much fun, especially in the Florida heat. So I appreciate the comments from people specifically living in Florida, or Orange County.

As a Canadian, no, I do not agree. I feel much safer with the "draconian" restrictions here than I would in Florida.

I disagree, because I am more of a "small government" mindset that doesn't believe they should interfere to this extent and instead let the public assess their own risk. But that discussion wasn't really the point of the thread as I am sure everyone is sick of that either way. It is about a potential future trip to Florida.

What’s the point? Nothing today has any bearing on what will be in September.

It is good to know now. I'll check back in a bit. I am not coming down in January, but it is interesting to see what direction this might go. I prefer to ask people who experience Florida on a daily basis to get a more accurate picture, that's why I asked.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
The op doesn't believe the virus is anything to be concerned about, so he will feel safe wherever he goes.

We have never been "safe" our entire lives, not travelling, not driving your car to work. Our whole life is a risk. But yes, if Florida opened up tomorrow back to its 2019 ways, then I think I would be among many people tripping over themselves booking a vacation just to get away from what we have in Ontario. That was the point of asking, I want to get a gauge on how things are down there from first hand experience.

Good post, and thank you. I agree completely. I live close to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) and I can assure you that is a town even in the best of times that is fully reliant on tourism. With these draconian restrictions such as businesses being closed that means all of the tourist attractions (Haunted Houses, Ripley's, theatres, etc.) are closed and that is a big part of the main strip. I too would love to support the tourism industry as these are our the same people who work in factories, they have families too. But I can't. But if we are going to spend a few thousand dollars for a family vacation I want to make sure it is worth it in Florida as well. I hear that Florida is a lot like, say, Sweden, has been this whole time and it is good to hear some first hand information before going down there.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
In Ontario we are restricted much in the same way California is. Our sports arenas weren't open to the fans either, Canada's Wonderland wasn't open in Toronto all summer much like Disneyland (I can't imagine how mad that makes people at Gavin Newsom down there) so anything that is an improvement on these restrictions we face everyday peaks my interest. Hence, the thread I did.

James J

In the Parks
No
Okay thank you. Yeah, I do hear a lot about Florida. According to the Governor I am hearing that they are trying to get the Super Bowl to be as normal as possible, but I guess it all depends on the county as well. That's why I ask here, because I am not planning a trip to Florida if things are restricted. That just won't be much fun, especially in the Florida heat. So I appreciate the comments from people specifically living in Florida, or Orange County.

The Super Bowl will have a crowd of 22,000 out of a possible 68,000, and over 7000 of those tickets are going to vaccinated health worker. It's not going to be a normal day.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The Super Bowl will have a crowd of 22,000 out of a possible 68,000, and over 7000 of those tickets are going to vaccinated health worker. It's not going to be a normal day.
canadian comedy GIF by CBC

the big bang theory sarcasm GIF

Tony the Tigger

We have never been "safe" our entire lives, not travelling, not driving your car to work. Our whole life is a risk. But yes, if Florida opened up tomorrow back to its 2019 ways, then I think I would be among many people tripping over themselves booking a vacation just to get away from what we have in Ontario. That was the point of asking, I want to get a gauge on how things are down there from first hand experience.

Good post, and thank you. I agree completely. I live close to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) and I can assure you that is a town even in the best of times that is fully reliant on tourism. With these draconian restrictions such as businesses being closed that means all of the tourist attractions (Haunted Houses, Ripley's, theatres, etc.) are closed and that is a big part of the main strip. I too would love to support the tourism industry as these are our the same people who work in factories, they have families too. But I can't. But if we are going to spend a few thousand dollars for a family vacation I want to make sure it is worth it in Florida as well. I hear that Florida is a lot like, say, Sweden, has been this whole time and it is good to hear some first hand information before going down there.
How many preventable deaths are acceptable so you can see a show?

Chi84

Premium Member
Don’t you love people who proclaim they are not afraid but are terrified by 6” of fabric?
I agree, but I’m also seeing people who think that 6” of fabric is a COVID-proof shield. I wish people would pay more attention to the part that says masks are to be used in addition to social distancing. Too many are using them as a substitute.

disneygeek90

I know many people who live in central Florida. Right now the majority of them wish they didn’t.

What rules there are they have for a reason. You know, worldwide pandemic and all.
The sad part is that it's still better in Central Florida than nearly any other county in the state. I visited my parents a few months ago in SW FL and was cringing at how many people in public just... did not wear a mask. At least Orange County still has it "mandated" for what it's worth. That won't be to the OP's liking, but I've been thankful for it.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

That's normal for 2021 though. I remember him saying this back in November that this was his hope. I guess it didn't happen yet.

How many preventable deaths are acceptable so you can see a show?

Since when is it abnormal on this board to ask Florida residents for some tips on things before you decide if it is worthwhile to book a trip to Central Florida?

Yes, but we have been considerably safer. Even the examples you provide disprove your point, since travelling and driving are heavily regulated to prevent unnecessary death and injury.

1.5 million people die directly - and by that I mean it is the cause of death, not like the way they classify the Covid deaths - from car accidents annually worldwide, not including the people horrible injured from them. We can't just hide forever like this, life is more than just surviving, it is about living too.
The sad part is that it's still better in Central Florida than nearly any other county in the state. I visited my parents a few months ago in SW FL and was cringing at how many people in public just... did not wear a mask. At least Orange County still has it "mandated" for what it's worth. That won't be to the OP's liking, but I've been thankful for it.

Since you seem to live there, do you have any idea when Orange County is going to remove all of their restrictions?

LittleBuford

1.5 million people die directly - and by that I mean it is the cause of death, not like the way they classify the Covid deaths - from car accidents annually worldwide, not including the people horrible injured from them. We can't just hide forever like this, life is more than just surviving, it is about living too.
Yes, and many, many millions more would die if there weren't a host of restrictions and measures in place governing how we use the roads.

You're missing the point, but I suspect you're intent on doing so regardless of what anyone here posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom