What are Florida's Covid restrictions in relation to attractions?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Okay, so the idea is in 2021 we'd like to hit Florida. If there are any Canadians on here you probably would agree the stipulations and the government restrictions for Covid up here are nothing short of draconian with no end in sight. Florida is often talked about as one of the states that has very light restrictions. I have heard that people are back to normal in bars and such (no masks) and restaurants and that life has gotten back to normal. This is right up my alley, and why I'd like to get down there again.

But if I could have some information from my peeps here because I don't live down there and I hear different things but want to confirm them. It likely isn't until the fall that we can get down there, so probably September. But if anyone can answer these questions for me it would be great because much of them are deal breakers:

- Are restaurants back to normal in Florida?
- Are there any parks that don't have mask restrictions? (Sea World, Universal, Gatorland, etc.)
- What are the restrictions for things indoors such at Titanic Experience?
- Or the outdoor things like the ION and Old Town?
- Does the average resort have restrictions?
- Are there some counties better than others?
- Are there any restrictions with the beaches?

I am aware Disney for now still has the masks, not sure why they are needed outside, but whatever. But does Disney Springs still require them? And are there exemptions?

The resort we stay in seems to be pretty much back to normal (Bonnet Creek). I've read a few reviews and one person back in the summer complain that people were just walking around normal, haha. Anyway, that was a good complaint for me because nothing beats the lazy rivers at that place and the relaxation.

Anyway so if I can get some help with that sort of thing that would be awesome my friends.

rangerbob

We are under and Orange County mask mandate. We are supposed to be wearing the mask any time we are out in public. Parks at at about 30-40% capacity but masks must be worn as they are in Orange County. You do need to wear your mask into the restaurant but when you are seated you can take them off. There are the outlying people that are refusing to wear their mask to protect themselves and others.
I'm not sure what Old Town is requiring as I haven't been there in a while.
I know that there are other counties that don't have a mask mandate in place.
Hotels, I'm not positive but I would presume mask must be work in public locations.
I believe beaches you can be mask free but to go anywhere else bathrooms or stores you need to have a mask on.

Zé_Carioca

As a local, Orlando is not the place for you if that is how you feel. As others have posted, masks are mandatory and worn around Orlando, this includes other non-disney parks, attractions and stores. Restaurants you have to wear then and take them out once eating. For resorts you wear them except when at the pool or in your room. Outside of Orlando though, I'm sure some places are more lax, it varies from county to county but its not the free for all you seem to be expecting.

Zé_Carioca

Just saw you asked about springs, masks and temperature checks are still required at springs, both inside and outside (again only not when dining).

NelleBelle

And as much as I hate to say it, now that there is a new US administration, there may very well be new requirements in the near futures (requiring covid testing to enter country, proof of vaccine, wearing masks on all airlines, etc). Maybe your "draconian" Canadian covid rules are the reason why you don't have as many infections and deaths as the US.

Kamikaze

And as much as I hate to say it, now that there is a new US administration, there may very well be new requirements in the near futures (requiring covid testing to enter country, proof of vaccine, wearing masks on all airlines, etc). Maybe your "draconian" Canadian covid rules are the reason why you don't have as many infections and deaths as the US.
Those words.

Biden is going to require masks for at least 100 days on everything he can (anything at the federal level, so interstate/international travel, etc) and try to pressure Governors to do a lot of the same. States can do whatever they choose. Since FL's Gov is Republican, I'm confident no more restrictions will be put in place in FL.

The thing to keep in mind, however, is that private companies can also enforce masks even if the states don't require it. I am even more confident that Disney will keep mask requirements even longer than required otherwise.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

Those words.

Biden is going to require masks for at least 100 days on everything he can (anything at the federal level, so interstate/international travel, etc) and try to pressure Governors to do a lot of the same. States can do whatever they choose. Since FL's Gov is Republican, I'm confident no more restrictions will be put in place in FL.
Agreed. I totally expect that there will be states that will balk at any sort of mask mandate (sadly) and FL is no exception. But I fully expect that the restrictions will continue in Orange County where the bulk of theme parks reside in FL. The OP seems to think he's going to be able to waltz in maskless to a state that's returned to a precovid status, which may be true in some counties, but I think he may be disappointed with the changes that will likely take place in order to enter the country and the likely ongoing restrictions for theme parks (Orange County specifically) until vaccinations are widely administered (and we're off to a great start *saracasm*).

Chi84

Premium Member
Those words.

The thing to keep in mind, however, is that private companies can also enforce masks even if the states don't require it. I am even more confident that Disney will keep mask requirements even longer than required otherwise.
Disney is opening parks and resorts, increasing capacity and decreasing social distancing. I don't see them keeping mask requirements too much longer - and definitely not once the vaccine is available to all. Once people are able to protect themselves with a vaccine, I expect Disney will remove restrictions and get back to normal as soon as possible. And if there is any way they can require proof of vaccine, I believe that will happen. Clearly, that is in the future and assumes COVID will be around awhile.

Zé_Carioca

Disney is opening parks and resorts, increasing capacity and decreasing social distancing. I don't see them keeping mask requirements too much longer - and definitely not once the vaccine is available to all. Once people are able to protect themselves with a vaccine, I expect Disney will remove restrictions and get back to normal as soon as possible. And if there is any way they can require proof of vaccine, I believe that will happen. Clearly, that is in the future and assumes COVID will be around awhile.
to be fair, it will be a while until vaccines are widely available, plus the new administration is completely changing the government's approach to combating the virus, so much remains to be seen. On my part, I do not see Disney changing their rules anytime soon because they want to promote a feeling of safety to guests.

Animal_Kingdom_09

On the west coast of Florida, and in my personal experience from visiting Orlando, almost all businesses have mask and distancing requirements. While you can no longer be given a ticket for not wearing a mask, trespassing laws in Florida are very strict. If you don't want to follow the rules a business has posted, you can be asked to leave. At that point, you no longer have the right to argue, discuss, or protest. If you don't leave immediately the business can have the police haul you off. That has nothing to do with Covid.

The reason that businesses still have the rules is because that is the only way they can get customers to come in. For the same reason, most restaurants still limit their indoor capacity, because an uncomfortable customer will leave. Capitalism still works fine, even during a pandemic.

I am surprised that Canadians can get health insurance coverage for the US currently. Haven't seen any Canadian snowbirds this year.

As recently as December 31st, Disney Springs still required masks and temperature checks to enter the area, and many of the stores limited the number of people inside.

Having said that, if you don't mind wearing a mask indoors when around other people, most businesses here are open, and most appreciate the business.

Florida is not as bad as California, but we really are not the wild west down here either.

Animal_Kingdom_09

- Are there any parks that don't have mask restrictions? (Sea World, Universal, Gatorland, etc.)
Sorry, forgot this part...

Restaurants: Not really. Most require masks except when seated, and sadly, most cannot even fill up 75% of their tables. People still don't want to eat out. Avoid ones that have a limited menu - they probably lost their cooks and the quality will reflect that. Shula's at the Dolphin is my exhibit A for that.

Parks: As far as I know, all require masks for indoor locations. Disney, Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens require them in the parks. No free range faces are allowed.

Don't know about Titanic or Old Town.

Resort Restrictions: I have stayed at Marriott properties and they require masks in indoor public spaces. The JW Marriott did not require a mask in the pool area if you were either in the water or sitting in you lounge chair.

Counties: Yes, some are better than others. Urban counties tend to have more restrictions than rural counties.

Beaches: No restrictions that I have seen.

As far as theme parks go, my opinion is that they are okay at the Florida resident price point. I would not pay normal prices to visit them right now.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I was at Old Town tonight and they do have signs up about masks, but maybe 50% of the guests and staff were not wearing a mask or were wearing them incorrectly. Disney Springs is still the same as the parks and they are doing temperature checks at all the entrances. The resort we are staying at is pretty relaxed and only requires them in the lobby, but there is barely anyone here.

BuddyThomas

Florida is often talked about as one of the states that has very light restrictions. I have heard that people are back to normal in bars and such (no masks) and restaurants and that life has gotten back to normal. This is right up my alley, and why I'd like to get down there again.
Forgive me, but we now have 400,000+ deaths in this country.....and counting. We are far from "back to normal".

Archie123

Forgive me, but we now have 400,000+ deaths in this country.....and counting. We are far from "back to normal".

Some people refuse to see that they are part of the problem and not the solution. Restrictions are still draconian because people won’t wear masks, they gather in large groups, and refuse to believe in the actual science.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Okay, so the idea is in 2021 we'd like to hit Florida. If there are any Canadians on here you probably would agree the stipulations and the government restrictions for Covid up here are nothing short of draconian with no end in sight. Florida is often talked about as one of the states that has very light restrictions. I have heard that people are back to normal in bars and such (no masks) and restaurants and that life has gotten back to normal. This is right up my alley, and why I'd like to get down there again.

But if I could have some information from my peeps here because I don't live down there and I hear different things but want to confirm them. It likely isn't until the fall that we can get down there, so probably September. But if anyone can answer these questions for me it would be great because much of them are deal breakers:

I am aware Disney for now still has the masks, not sure why they are needed outside, but whatever. But does Disney Springs still require them? And are there exemptions?

The resort we stay in seems to be pretty much back to normal (Bonnet Creek). I've read a few reviews and one person back in the summer complain that people were just walking around normal, haha. Anyway, that was a good complaint for me because nothing beats the lazy rivers at that place and the relaxation.

Anyway so if I can get some help with that sort of thing that would be awesome my friends.
What’s the point? Nothing today has any bearing on what will be in September.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I know many people who live in central Florida. Right now the majority of them wish they didn’t.

What rules there are they have for a reason. You know, worldwide pandemic and all.

nor'easter

As a Canadian, no, I do not agree. I feel much safer with the "draconian" restrictions here than I would in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom