News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

zero creativity

Last time on DME (2019) the bus was only 1/3 full and it took almost 3 hours to get to my resort. Not a value of my time.
We live about a 12.5 hr drive away. A flight is usually about 2 hours, but with the time required to drive to the airport and all of the other delays including DME it would take a total time of at least 8 hrs. Last time we flew, it was closer to 9. We generally like driving better, but I understand that it doesnā€™t work the same for everyone.

wutisgood

We live about a 12.5 hr drive away. A flight is usually about 2 hours, but with the time required to drive to the airport and all of the other delays including DME it would take a total time of at least 8 hrs. Last time we flew, it was closer to 9. We generally like driving better, but I understand that it doesnā€™t work the same for everyone.
I only go during the slow season but usually I am from my house to my hotel on idrive in around 4 hours if the flight isn't delayed. That is taking an uber and having family drop me off at my home airport.

jaklgreen

I am assuming that these 2 quotes are coming from people without kids who a) are young and have accidents in their pants so that multiple changes of outfits per day are needed. or b) have kids who are a little bit older and love to spill spaghetti, ice cream, insert favorite snack here, all over their clothes also requiring the multiple outfit packing. or c) have babies which leads into the changing of clothes for spit ups and such, but also require the diapers, bottles, formula expansion pack, which might be a bag all its own. I will also admit that when we go in the summer there are many times we have to pack multiple outfits per day for ourselves as we generally will be sweating like crazy in the Florida heat, and want to change in the afternoon evening. And/or if we are going to V&A or another dressier event, are not going to be wearing the shorts and teeshirts we wore in the morning.

You assume wrong. We started taking our kids when they were 1 & 2 years old and we only take 2 suitcases for the 4 of us. It never was an issue for us needing so many clothes. We did things like make sure they went to the bathroom before we got into lines, so they never had any potty accidents. I did a load of laundry half way through while we were having a pool day and that was enough clothes for the trip, even with changing out outfits when needed. I don't know what to say to you other then we did not have the issues that you described with accidents or being messy with food. I also don't see the point of changing into fresh clothes when you are still sweaty and nasty. Your body is still nasty so why waste the clean clothes on it. Now if I went back and showered, then of course I would put on new clothes. But we did not go back to the resort mid day and just stayed until we were ready to leave, then take our showers for the night so we did not go to bed nasty but by then we were in for the night and not needing another set of clothes.

Retiring Disney's Magical Express without an alternative in place is a very short-sighted, cost-cutting idea. This kind of cut is showing how Disney is losing more than its quality touch and will lead to financial downfall. It es me off more than charging guests to park in their resort parking lots. Are there any perks left to staying on-property left? The theming was deemed to be too upsetting to business types. Pretty sure any Marriott offers complimentary continental breakfast.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Retiring Disney's Magical Express without an alternative in place is a very short-sighted, cost-cutting idea. This kind of cut is showing how Disney is losing more than its quality touch and will lead to financial downfall. It ****es me off more than charging guests to park in their resort parking lots. Are there any perks left to staying on-property left? The theming was deemed to be too upsetting to business types. Pretty sure any Marriott offers complimentary continental breakfast.
There are non-free alternatives in place already. And Mears or other companies have 11 months to figure out what services they want to provide for those who want a MDE type experience (for a fee).

Buck Wheelie

Retiring Disney's Magical Express without an alternative in place is a very short-sighted, cost-cutting idea. This kind of cut is showing how Disney is losing more than its quality touch and will lead to financial downfall. It ****es me off more than charging guests to park in their resort parking lots. Are there any perks left to staying on-property left? The theming was deemed to be too upsetting to business types. Pretty sure any Marriott offers complimentary continental breakfast.
The new perk for staying on Disney property is getting let into parks a half hour early. It doesn't seem like that much of a perk when there are thousands of other people let in early.

dreday3

The new perk for staying on Disney property is getting let into parks a half hour early. It doesn't seem like that much of a perk when there are thousands of other people let in early.

Resort guests (which there really aren't many of right now) spread over all 4 parks, 30 minutes early, every day.

I think that's better than one park, one hour early

How was Disney doing before Covid? Say Jan 2019-Feb 2020 time frame? I thought the parks were busier than ever and they were filling hotels. My point is if this was the case why wouldn't you get back to what was working? I get change is always needed in certain regards, but why fix what wasn't broken?

Chi84

Premium Member
I am assuming that these 2 quotes are coming from people without kids who a) are young and have accidents in their pants so that multiple changes of outfits per day are needed. or b) have kids who are a little bit older and love to spill spaghetti, ice cream, insert favorite snack here, all over their clothes also requiring the multiple outfit packing. or c) have babies which leads into the changing of clothes for spit ups and such, but also require the diapers, bottles, formula expansion pack, which might be a bag all its own. I will also admit that when we go in the summer there are many times we have to pack multiple outfits per day for ourselves as we generally will be sweating like crazy in the Florida heat, and want to change in the afternoon evening. And/or if we are going to V&A or another dressier event, are not going to be wearing the shorts and teeshirts we wore in the morning.
For tips on how to properly parent your children so they don't get messy or have accidents, see the "WDW with Kids" forum. If you're looking for people to tell you the best time to shower or change clothes, try "WDW Trip Planning." ;)

Seriously, though, what works for some doesn't necessarily work for others. I'm 100% with you on the need for extra clothes at WDW - and when the kids were little, it would have been difficult without the bus from the airport. I trust some option will fill the void, but it probably won't work as well as DME.

Chip Chipperson

We usually travel to WDW in the winter, so we always have a change of clothes available because we take the first available flight in the morning which means leaving the house around 3:30ish in the morning and being dressed accordingly. When we get to the resort, the weather is MUCH nicer so we need a change of clothes just to avoid sweating buckets while wearing jeans and sweatshirts.

mattpeto

Resort guests (which there really aren't many of right now) spread over all 4 parks, 30 minutes early, every day.

I think that's better than one park, one hour early

Disney has been allowing all guests to enter their parks up to an hour lately for several months.

Guessing this perk is simply disabling access for non-resort guests. It doesn't seem like an added benefit, but assuming they enforce it - it will be a nice add.

nickys

Premium Member
Disney has been allowing all guests to enter their parks up to an hour lately for several months.

Guessing this perk is simply disabling access for non-resort guests. It doesn't seem like an added benefit, but assuming they enforce it - it will be a nice add.
It doesnā€™t seem like a perk, until you look at the flip side.

By doing this, Disney have removed any rope drop advantage for offsite guests. That is actually quite detrimental for non Disney resort guests who are used to rope dropping, as the lines for the big ā€œE-ticket ridesā€ could instantly be about 60 minutes at the official park opening.

DisneyHead123

For tips on how to properly parent your children so they don't get messy or have accidents, see the "WDW with Kids" forum. If you're looking for people to tell you the best time to shower or change clothes, try "WDW Trip Planning." ;)

Seriously, though, what works for some doesn't necessarily work for others. I'm 100% with you on the need for extra clothes at WDW - and when the kids were little, it would have been difficult without the bus from the airport. I trust some option will fill the void, but it probably won't work as well as DME.
Delurking to kvetch... as a mom (or dad) you just canā€™t win on this one. You are supposed to be prepared for any situation under the sun and yet you are supposed to go all Marie Kondo and ā€œkeep it simple!ā€ so that you can hop on a plane with a light, breezy, carefree attitude with your child in one hand and a carryon in the other that somehow contains clothing, shoes, medicine for any conceivable ailment, a stash of homemade organic snacks, wipes, toys, blankies, sippy cups, toiletries, swimwear, first aid, water bottles, tissues, the requisite 20 bottles of sunscreen, and possibly a small house should your flight be delayed overnight.

More on topic... I just donā€™t understand whatā€™s going on with ME. My hope at this point is that if Disney lovers ride it out, there will be an uptick in perks similar to what was seen post 2001 to get travel back up. I donā€™t think Disney will lose attendance, necessarily, but I think they will lose per guest spending as people have fewer incentives to stay in ā€œthe bubbleā€, and when they realize these changes are finally impacting their bottom line, they will shift into ā€œwooing people backā€ mode.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Delurking to kvetch... as a mom (or dad) you just canā€™t win on this one. You are supposed to be prepared for any situation under the sun and yet you are supposed to go all Marie Kondo and ā€œkeep it simple!ā€ so that you can hop on a plane with a light, breezy, carefree attitude with your child in one hand and a carryon in the other that somehow contains clothing, shoes, medicine for any conceivable ailment, a stash of homemade organic snacks, wipes, toys, blankies, sippy cups, toiletries, swimwear, first aid, water bottles, tissues, the requisite 20 bottles of sunscreen, and possibly a small house should your flight be delayed overnight.
Think you might be exaggerating just a bit?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom