Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No trial has done children yet though so likely no. At least not for many months.
Last I saw is Moderna can’t fill their 12-17 trial. Looking for 3,000 participants and have less than 1,000 signed up. I believe Pfizer is full now for 12-15 year olds and expecting results in a few months. They plan to start trials on younger kids in the Spring. Hopefully that means March and not May. The overall goal is to have at least middle and high school age kids done before the next school year. I hope they can also get elementary school kids done too. I would sign my kids up for the trials, but the closest Moderna site is Syracuse which is really far and really cold this time of year. If they opened a site in Philly my 13 year old said he’d sign up...he found out you get paid ;):greedy::greedy::greedy:

Heppenheimer

DisneyCane

I’m guessing part of the 5%?
Or a false positive. He said that he continues to get tested regularly. If you get tested enough you are likely to test positive at some point. If a test has a 1% false positive rate and you are tested 50 times there is a 50% chance that one of the 50 tests will be positive even if you aren't infected. Anybody asymptomatic that tests positive (which applies to him) should get tested again to confirm, especially if they are a person who gets tested regularly.

sullyinMT

I agree with that, particularly when the 70-80% effective ones have the side benefit of: you get the disease but are only laid up a few days instead of being hospitalized or dying.
The other major benefit we're not accounting for here is the one shot and done, stored in a standard fridge. For extremely rural populations, that is a major game changer. Not to mention underdeveloped and developing nations.

sullyinMT

Last I saw is Moderna can’t fill their 12-17 trial. Looking for 3,000 participants and have less than 1,000 signed up. I believe Pfizer is full now for 12-15 year olds and expecting results in a few months. They plan to start trials on younger kids in the Spring. Hopefully that means March and not May. The overall goal is to have at least middle and high school age kids done before the next school year. I hope they can also get elementary school kids done too. I would sign my kids up for the trials, but the closest Moderna site is Syracuse which is really far and really cold this time of year. If they opened a site in Philly my 13 year old said he’d sign up...he found out you get paid ;):greedy::greedy::greedy:
As can be expected, there's no trial site near the tumbleweed and snow 😕. My oldest (13) is pining for the vaccine now that mom and dad have had it, and is really wanting to participate. We'd probably sign him up at this point, now that adult safety has been fleshed out. He wants to show his friends it's safe and no big deal. Apparently the "it was rushed" has reached their ears and he's all commando about changing their minds.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Dang, they had a chance to eradicate them all and caved!

I joke but that is pandering to the pressures. We all benefit from everyone getting vaccinated, not everyone is as good as theme park people at waiting in lines though

So basically anyone can get the vaccine, just take a single puff on a cigarette, you are now a smoker and can get the vaccine.

Tony the Tigger

I’m guessing part of the 5%?
Vaccine doesn't mean you won't catch it, i.e. test positive. It means you should have something to fight it off and are more likely to be asymptomatic/light symptoms.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available beginning at the end of December, taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line.

Now, health officials across the country who had anticipated their extremely limited vaccine supply as much as doubling beginning next week are confronting the reality that their allocations will not immediately increase, dashing hopes of dramatically expanding eligibility for millions of elderly people and those with high-risk medical conditions. Health officials in some cities and states were informed in recent days about the reality of the situation, while others are still in the dark.

Because both of the vaccines authorized for emergency use in the United States are two-dose regimens, the Trump administration’s initial policy was to hold back second doses to protect against the possibility of manufacturing disruptions. But that approach shifted in recent weeks, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. The result is that next week’s allocations will remain flat."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I won't refuse to be vaccinated if it was just to create herd immunity but if I can get more protection for myself by waiting longer, I'd choose that option. If it is just a small difference like a 90% vs. 95% I wouldn't care and would rather have the one dose shot, but 80% vs. 95% is a pretty big spread in personal protection.

What we need to keep in mind in that the percent effective are the people who did not get sick at all, but for the remaining people the vaccine will likely significantly reduce the symptoms. For the Pfizer vaccine there were 8 cases in the vaccinated group, but only one severe case, and no deaths. If you are in a high risk group that 15% difference between J&J and Pfizer may be significant, but probably not so much if you are younger and healthy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Can somebody explain why Biden would propose $20 billion for vaccinations and $50 billion to expand testing capacity? Shouldn't financial priority be given to vaccines so that expanded testing isn't necessary?

I would think that vaccinating 4 million people a day would be far more useful than testing more than 4 million people a day (I don't know what the actual increase in testing would be spending $50 billion so I doubled).

The question is, how much can you ramp up vaccination by just throwing money at it. Eventually you will reach a point of diminishing returns, so the money may be better spent on testing.

Disstevefan1

Can somebody explain why Biden would propose $20 billion for vaccinations and $50 billion to expand testing capacity? Shouldn't financial priority be given to vaccines so that expanded testing isn't necessary?

I would think that vaccinating 4 million people a day would be far more useful than testing more than 4 million people a day (I don't know what the actual increase in testing would be spending $50 billion so I doubled).
I just don't see the value in testing especially when some of the tests are 50% accurate and we have known for a year we are in a pandemic. In my opinion, the money is better spent in the hospitals and vaccines, but Joey is the expert now so....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey, remember the Big Lie that COVID deaths are from fake death certificates? If that's true, then we had 400,000 more motorcycle deaths this past year than normal...

1610725795021.png

Kevin_W

I saw that same article. Having a 12-year-old, I looked into it. The only active recruiting at 2 sites in TX and one in Idaho, so that wouldn't work for us. (Where did you see Syracuse?)

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Hey, remember the Big Lie that COVID deaths are from fake death certificates? If that's true, then we had 400,000 more motorcycle deaths this past year than normal...

View attachment 524388

One good thing, the line is going almost straight down at the very end of the graph, I see that as a positive..

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One good thing, the line is going almost straight down at the very end of the graph, I see that as a positive..
You missed the part on the graph that says "recent weeks are likely an undercount."

It takes a while for death records to be updated. FL's death chart has the last three weeks heading down to zero ever since charting began.

Disstevefan1

You missed the part on the graph that says "recent weeks are likely an undercount."

It takes a while for death records to be updated. FL's death chart has the last three weeks heading down to zero ever since charting began.
True, this is the ongoing problem when trying to make decisions based on the data. The data is only as good if its accurate and reported in a timely fashion..

Patcheslee

As can be expected, there's no trial site near the tumbleweed and snow 😕. My oldest (13) is pining for the vaccine now that mom and dad have had it, and is really wanting to participate. We'd probably sign him up at this point, now that adult safety has been fleshed out. He wants to show his friends it's safe and no big deal. Apparently the "it was rushed" has reached their ears and he's all commando about changing their minds.
Closest for us is 73 miles to Cincinnati. Not even my 12yo would qualify due to the exclusions.

HarperRose

"When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available beginning at the end of December, taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line.

Now, health officials across the country who had anticipated their extremely limited vaccine supply as much as doubling beginning next week are confronting the reality that their allocations will not immediately increase, dashing hopes of dramatically expanding eligibility for millions of elderly people and those with high-risk medical conditions. Health officials in some cities and states were informed in recent days about the reality of the situation, while others are still in the dark.

Because both of the vaccines authorized for emergency use in the United States are two-dose regimens, the Trump administration’s initial policy was to hold back second doses to protect against the possibility of manufacturing disruptions. But that approach shifted in recent weeks, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. The result is that next week’s allocations will remain flat."

I was coming to post this. It was announced this morning there is no federal reserve of the vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom