News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

pvtim

Well as a DVC owner....I will start renting cars for our trips after all I don’t pay for parking- will be interesting to see the impact of parking availability on the rest of the resort as I am now taking a spot up. Less for the paying guests or the people trying to visit a resort? Additionally, might need to do our first Universal, Seaworld or Legoland trips with no Disney parks but taking up a room with little discernible revenue. Also guessing this is the end of the dining plan - cheaper and more diverse options off property. Might be time to get my groceries off property- eat in the room and cheaper beer/wine (also arguably better options I am sure). Heck now I can get our souvenirs at the outlets- far cheaper to get 3 shirts, a pin or 4, and a Christmas ornament there than pay the price of one Spirit Jersey at the Emporium. I’m bitter about it being removed-no more relaxation for the first and last days of the trip- but should save me a few hundred or even thousands for those longer trips.

Lilofan

So what is the value proposition to visit Walt Disney World now? $500 hotel rooms, broken or closed attractions, limited hours, no complimentary transportation from MCO (this is huge, especially with families). Limited menus, over priced meals... What else am I missing?
Not that extreme but did you visit immediately after 9/11/01?

bgraham34

The thing that made me realize how off their rocker they are currently (in the finance department) is their decision to keep moving forward with the Star Wars hotel that no one is gonna be able to afford.
I don't think that is the case at all. I know many star wars fans who will pay whatever cost there is to stay there. I for one couldn't justify 2k a night per person or even a thousand a night per person for that stay. But my friends would.

Lilofan

I don't think that is the case at all. I know many star wars fans who will pay whatever cost there is to stay there. I for one couldn't justify 2k a night per person or even a thousand a night per person for that stay. But my friends would.
Back in the day the hundreds of loyal SW fans would sleep outside the DHS turnstiles for 3 nights in the hot humid early summer during Star Wars weekends Fri Sat Sun to get the highly coveted autograph signings before those tickets were sold out.

TrainsOfDisney

Back in the day the hundreds of loyal SW fans would sleep outside the DHS turnstiles for 3 nights in the hot humid early summer during Star Wars weekends Fri Sat Sun to get the highly coveted autograph signings before those tickets were sold out.
I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but I enjoyed Star Wars Weekends way more than Galaxies Edge. Heck I’d choose that Star Wars fireworks show over Rise of the Resistance if given the choice right now.

bgraham34

Yeah back when Disney allowed their characters to have fun and increase interest in both fanbases.,

Obobru

The thing that made me realize how off their rocker they are currently (in the finance department) is their decision to keep moving forward with the Star Wars hotel that no one is gonna be able to afford.
It's going to be sold out for years. You misjudge the target audience and their willingness to pay for experiences. These are the exact customers Disney wants, time poor cash rich people who want something different and is more premium.

People think if their personal circumstances are maybe worse that everyone's are, they aren't. Some people have become even wealthier during this pandemic.

Buck Wheelie

Well as a DVC owner....I will start renting cars for our trips after all I don’t pay for parking- will be interesting to see the impact of parking availability on the rest of the resort as I am now taking a spot up. Less for the paying guests or the people trying to visit a resort? Additionally, might need to do our first Universal, Seaworld or Legoland trips with no Disney parks but taking up a room with little discernible revenue. Also guessing this is the end of the dining plan - cheaper and more diverse options off property. Might be time to get my groceries off property- eat in the room and cheaper beer/wine (also arguably better options I am sure). Heck now I can get our souvenirs at the outlets- far cheaper to get 3 shirts, a pin or 4, and a Christmas ornament there than pay the price of one Spirit Jersey at the Emporium. I’m bitter about it being removed-no more relaxation for the first and last days of the trip- but should save me a few hundred or even thousands for those longer trips.
You make a good point. With ME and Disney Transportation we are essentially held hostage on Disney property. If more and more people are driving, will they then spend more time at other non Disney places, eat outside the bubble or buy their own groceries? Eliminating ME might cost them more in the long run. Although I expect them to raise their parking fees since more people will have a car.

Obobru

Why do they feel they don’t need to put the effort in anymore?
Because if the money keeps rolling in and they can cut the costs more they can use that money elsewhere such as Shanghai or buying the rest of DLP. The only time they really spend serious money is when they see drops in attendance which only they truly know, they spent at the studios to have an bigger IP presence for Star Wars and to redistribute the crowds from MK. It's also the reason we will never see another Disney park in Orlando ever, it's a big cost and they can better use that money taking what they have to premium price points without a gigantic capital investment.

RSoxNo1

I have never used Magical Express, but this service had value to people. Those people are now going to make difference choices. Let's say this causes a family of 4 to take their 7 day vacation down to a 5 or 6 day vacation because they have to rent a car or use ride share as an additional expense?

Or, if that family wants a 7 day trip, Disney may get all of the gate clicks but not the hotel.

By eliminating this option they've undone the last 15 year motivation of turning WDW into a cruise line all inclusive model.

Buck Wheelie

If ME is gone along with baggage delivery will this also mean that resort airline check-in will also be gone? I assume it would. Now we will have to take more time to check in at the airport and it'll make airport lines longer with all the Disney visitors checking in at MCO.

Lilofan

Yeah back when Disney allowed their characters to have fun and increase interest in both fanbases.,
About 15 years ago there was a small stage in front of Star Tours at DHS. The SW characters had a dance off. Seeing Darth Vader dancing to Michael Jackson was something to watch.

SpectroMagician

INCREDIBLY short sighted of Disney to do this. Now there is essentially zero benefit for staying in a Disney hotel, or being a DVC member.

They keep removing more and more benefits of being a DVC member. Not happy. Changes like this and getting rid of extra magic hours will likely get more people to stay and eat offsite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom