News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Dan Deesnee

That's one of the reasons we have historically done a private van for my family (when we go to Uni at least). We're too many people to fit into one Uber anyway so this enables us to go with the whole family in one vehicle. And since we book in advance, the driver would typically meet us at the baggage carousel and get us out quickly. Honestly, it's better than MDE in terms of convenience of transport - minus the extra cost of course - but my biggest complaint would be that you have to get your bags versus MDE getting them for you.

Private vans will put in the number of car seats you request.

And how much does that cost over, say, a 7 day trip?

mightynine

Disneyland is mainly a local thing not nearly as many people flying into LAX to go to Disneyland. What percentage of people flying into MCO are going to Disney World compared to the percent of people flying into LAX? 50% compared to 1/2 percent? That and Covid is why Disneyland Express closed.

Disneyland Express service ended at LAX and John Wayne airport in Anaheim in January 2020, well before the COVID-impacts.

But I don't know how popular the service was, and I'm sure the hotels it serviced were happy to get any parking fees from those who decided to just rent a car instead.

doctornick

And how much does that cost over, say, a 7 day trip?
Not sure what you mean in terms of the length of the trip. I'm talking about using a private van an alternative for MDE - going once from the airport to the resort and once back to the airport. The length of the vacation wouldn't matter.

Honestly, I don't remember the cost off hand and we have only used it for Universal which I think is a bit closer than WDW to the airport, no? But for my family, which has probably ranged from 4 to 9 people at times, it seemed like a reasonable cost and certainly convenient.

TrainsOfDisney

Disneyland Express service ended at LAX and John Wayne airport in Anaheim in January 2020, well before the COVID-impacts.

But I don't know how popular the service was, and I'm sure the hotels it serviced were happy to get any parking fees from those who decided to just rent a car instead.
When I used it to / from LAX it seemed well used. Departed every hour and was pretty convenient.

I’m not sure who would rent a car instead of taking a bus though... just take a taxi or Uber. Uber is usually $50 to/ from LAX or Ontario.

Obobru

I don’t want to say yet again that Disney are gradually pushing more and more people away with price hikes and removing benefits but it really seems they are.

I think they expect those who can’t afford to visit the parks to go to get the same enjoyment from a Disney store pop-up in Target and a Disney+ subscription...
They are pushing away the customers they are not bothered about loosing to make more space for the higher spending ones they want to enjoy the experience more so they can charge them even more.

Disney is going for the '"premium" market on a large scale. The population of the US has increased 20% since the last theme park Animal Kingdom opened, tourist numbers have gone from 48.7m to 68.55 (41% increase) international tourism inbound to Orlando has increased from 3.43m to 6.48m (89% increase). It doesn't want to capture more marketshare it wants to reduce it but keep the higher value share of it and let the others go to other theme parks which are cheaper.

This ties into not needing to keep people in the "bubble" it's not needed the high value ones are tied in with DVC or addiction to premium hotels that they can boast of staying in. Disney's moved on from massive "value" resorts and I imagine in some ways wishes previous management hadn't built them because they are not the direction today's Disney company wants to operate.

Lil Copter Cap

I am sad to see this offering removed, especially where resort guests perks are concerned. Offerings are dwindling for on-property resort guests and I find this odd seeing that the 50th celebration is around the corner. I suppose one could look at it from the perspective of: "Guests will be flocking from all over for the 50th regardless of whether or not we have perks for their on-property resort stays and this is the perfect time to remove those perks" but I also want to believe that Disney would want to cement these guests staying on-property with (more?) perks for such an occasion.

Alas, this comes down to the bottom line, I'm sure. Less offerings for the same price = higher profit margin.

toonaspie

You would think COVID would maybe put Disney in a similar mindset to after 9/11 where they would do anything to get people back into the parks but no, management are going for the jugular before the big crowds start returning
The thing that made me realize how off their rocker they are currently (in the finance department) is their decision to keep moving forward with the Star Wars hotel that no one is gonna be able to afford.

Indy_UK

They are pushing away the customers they are not bothered about loosing to make more space for the higher spending ones they want to enjoy the experience more so they can charge them even more.

Disney is going for the '"premium" market on a large scale. The population of the US has increased 20% since the last theme park Animal Kingdom opened, tourist numbers have gone from 48.7m to 68.55 (41% increase) international tourism inbound to Orlando has increased from 3.43m to 6.48m (89% increase). It doesn't want to capture more marketshare it wants to reduce it but keep the higher value share of it and let the others go to other theme parks which are cheaper.

This ties into not needing to keep people in the "bubble" it's not needed the high value ones are tied in with DVC or addiction to premium hotels that they can boast of staying in. Disney's moved on from massive "value" resorts and I imagine in some ways wishes previous management hadn't built them because they are not the direction today's Disney company wants to operate.

oh your spot on

For me I probably wouldn’t mind them increasing prices over time if with the other hand, they stopped taking stuff away.

we know Disney is probably one of the most expensive holidays for families in the world but the quality isn’t reflecting that.

Why do they feel they don’t need to put the effort in anymore?

Club Cooloholic

Might be a good time to invest in those car rental stocks again. I will tell you this, the prices on those are going to go up too, because the demand will be higher than ever.
I am really disappointed in this. While I personally never used it, my family had, I went and rented a car and met them at the hotel. I always wanted to try it, because my kids loved it.
Oh well.
I love they added in the " hey the buses, monorail and skyliner are still going to be available". Really, though maybe in a few years that will have a fee attached.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

oh your spot on

For me I probably wouldn’t mind them increasing prices over time if with the other hand, they stopped taking stuff away.

we know Disney is probably one of the most expensive holidays for families in the world but the quality isn’t reflecting that.

Why do they feel they don’t need to put the effort in anymore?
DVC has given them a captive audience that will always help balance the books. I swear sometime after they put those poly ones in the ledger moved enough and they were like, " well we got em" it's all gravy from here.

icc2515

Last time we were there, we just used and Uber. It was pretty cheap compared to a rental car, maybe $50 one way.

Obobru

I think $35-50 is might be a low estimate if you're talking about a family of 5 with all their luggage. You'd have to use an XL, which ups the price, and my guess is they'll be hiking up the price in general if they see a huge influx of people wanting/needing to use their service at the airport.
$50 is the price for an XL right now on Lyft from the airport to Grand Floridian, with surge pricing you could add 20% still better value than $25 shuttles for more than 2 people.

With sure high unemployment from all the layoffs I expect to see more drivers which will ensure prices are maintained. Orlando is one of the cheapest places to get an Uber and I don't see that changing.

icc2515

Might be a good time to invest in those car rental stocks again. I will tell you this, the prices on those are going to go up too, because the demand will be higher than ever.
I am sure that demand will go up somewhat, but remember that the bus will still be there and maybe $200 round trip for a family of 4 is still a lot cheaper than renting a mini van in the summer for $700.

Club Cooloholic

I am sure that demand will go up somewhat, but remember that the bus will still be there and maybe $200 round trip for a family of 4 is still a lot cheaper than renting a mini van in the summer for $700.
True, but a family of 4 can get by on a mid sized sedan, we had Volkswagen Gold last trip and did fine. It all depends on how long ones stay is, under a week and the car rental is not bad at all. Plus you can save money hitting a grocery store or even gas station for snacks and drinks, and can shoot out for dinner some nights and save too, often with a better meal. I will tell you this, if I have a restaurant in the Springs I am not happy about this, more people will have more options.

Last edited:

Buck Wheelie

Last I knew Mears was running a service from MCO and I think it was $35 per person. When my work had a conference at the Swan and Dolphin we had to use since it was the only thing we could reimbursed for. It was the same price for the return trip but the worst part was they picked us up about 3 1/2 to 4 hours early. When ME goes away I think I will just hire a limo or van service both ways. I have seen a lot of upset people over ME on the internet and several petitions to Disney. Who knows it might be enough to change their mind.

rreading

I do think that their calculation that a good number of the users of DME are DVC members who will stay at WDW either way probably swayed this decision.

I expect that the families with young children who would otherwise need a carseat will choose to ride the paid bus instead.

The advertising that DME offers is a good reason for Disney to support DME but right now Disney Cruises and Adventures by Disney are clearly not available so that advertising is wasted space. (I hope that Adventures by Disney survives corona honestly)

On my most recent trip in October, they were filling the busses as well as possible which meant that in our stay to Boardwalk we stopped at 4-5 other resorts before getting to our hotel. If my children were young, they would have been overly tired and fussy. Were my wife with me on that trip, she would have pitched a fit. So if their guest feedback has reflected what mine could have been (I appreciate DME enough not to complain) then I'm not surprised that in this climate they're axing it for now.

Personally, I enjoyed DME and am so glad it existed while it did. I'm very sorry for the families with young children who were able to relax for their vacation as soon as they arrived to Orlando. It was so nice.

It won't surprise me for them to bring it back in the future though once the world gets back to normal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom