Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

TP2000

Original Poster
So why can't we do the same with restaraunts? If someone is scared to eat out they can make the choice to not eat out?

Exactly. Until such time that our government betters can show us the Science & Data they are using that proves that eating out spreads Covid more than smelling the Glade candles at Target (Me!) or buying sweaters at Nordstrom (Also me!).

As of this week, in front of a Superior Court Judge, one of the biggest and wealthiest counties in the nation (LA!) was unable to provide any Science & Data to a judge that showed outdoor dining spreads Covid.

Which also proved to the judge they were not using Science & Data to make their decision to ban outdoor dining, since they would have provided that information to the judge after the second time he asked for it over a period of 10 days.

The judge was convinced they were acting arbitrarily, which has been the suspicion of many of us for several months.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
I was at South Coast Plaza yesterday to do Christmas shopping, and the place was a mob scene. Very busy!

Downtown Disney this evening? It looks very, very quiet. Apparently there's less demand for World of Disney's Chinese made crap um... valuable merchandise during the Christmas shopping rush than you'd think.

I'm convinced that $10 parking fee for the privilege of parking a half mile away has got to go now that all Downtown Disney restaurants are closed!

These photos are from the Twitter and were taken early this evening. The humans you see are paid CM's, not customers...

Eo1jfQYVoAA8iSe

Eo1jfQaUcAEqrof

TP2000

Original Poster
Okay, to be fair, I just found a Twitter photo with a few customers in it earlier this evening. But still... this is definitely not what the rest of Orange County's malls look like this week.

TDA, you need to cancel that $10 parking fee for the satellite lot a half mile away from the mall fast before you go out of business entirely. Or lobby your buddies in Sacramento to reopen the restaurants pronto!

Eo1eeUlVgAI9rPL

SuddenStorm

I was at South Coast Plaza yesterday to do Christmas shopping, and the place was a mob scene. Very busy!

Downtown Disney this evening? It looks very, very quiet. Apparently there's less demand for World of Disney's Chinese made crap um... valuable merchandise during the Christmas shopping rush than you'd think.

I'm convinced that $10 parking fee for the privilege of parking a half mile away has got to go now that all Downtown Disney restaurants are closed!

These photos are from the Twitter and were taken early this evening. The humans you see are paid CM's, not customers...

Eo1jfQYVoAA8iSe

Eo1jfQaUcAEqrof

Such a stark contrast to how the Resort usually is the weeks leading up to Christmas. I know many colleges are either done for the semester, or are in finals this week. I have to wonder how Disneyland's books are looking right now- I'd love to see what their daily overhead is and what their revenue is with only a handful of functioning locations on property.

TP2000

Original Poster
Such a stark contrast to how the Resort usually is the weeks leading up to Christmas. I know many colleges are either done for the semester, or are in finals this week. I have to wonder how Disneyland's books are looking right now- I'd love to see what their daily overhead is and what their revenue is with only a handful of functioning locations on property.

I also just found this photo, which was taken late this afternoon looking out across Carthay Circle and Buena Vista Street. I zoomed way in and judging by the CM uniforms you can see, versus civilian clothing, I identified the sixteen (16) total people seen in this wide shot. Seven (7) are CM's as starred in red, and nine (9) are customers as starred in blue.

InkedInkedInkedScreen-Shot-2020-12-08-at-1.47.33-PM_LI.jpg

Interestingly, four of the seven CM's are Guest Relations CM's in the iconic plaid vest and blue pants/skirt, so they stick out like a sore thumb when I zoomed in. Then there's a Buena Vista Street shopgirl, plus a couple of Security CM's.

But what's the point of all those Guest Relations CM's if there are no guests to relate to??? o_O

This is definitely not a viable business plan for TDA or the Disneyland Resort. It was a pleasant warm day today with temps in the 70's, two weeks before Christmas, and this was all they could get to go shopping at Buena Vista Street? I was at my local Target this afternoon and the place was very busy, as was the entire shopping center and commercial strip it was on.

The ban on dining, outdoor or otherwise, has clearly just killed Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street. TDA needs to stop charging $10 for the privilege of parking a half mile away from this mall, and do whatever it can to pressure Orange County to reopen outdoor dining ASAP. This can't continue like this.

If this is what the weeks leading up to Christmas look like at this restaurant-less mall, can you imagine what January will look like?!? Or, God forbid, once it starts raining or dips below 70 degrees again???

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Also taken this afternoon, showing an empty Hollywood Blvd. with three CM's and two customers.

Don't even chew gum under that mask or we'll revoke your AP once we reopen! Science & Data!

Trolley.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

TP2000

Original Poster

And this has to with Outdoor Dining how exactly?

TP2000

Original Poster
Nice playing ignorant.

You know full well the recent restrictions were based on hospital ICU capability.

Not fooling anyone.

My point is, please show us that outdoor dining has led to a rise in Covid cases. And that the rise in current Covid cases, confined mainly to the same low-income, high-density neighborhoods that saw the most Covid cases throughout the year, has been caused by middle-class people Instagramming their food at Ballast Point Brewing.

The County of Los Angeles and their legal team had absolutely no science and data that could prove that to the judge on Tuesday. If you have some science and data you'd like to share that outdoor patio dining leads to a rise in Covid cases, it would be interesting to see what the County of Los Angeles and their high paid legal team could not offer to the judge yesterday.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
My point is, please prove that outdoor dining has led to a rise in Covid cases.

The County of Los Angeles and their legal team had absolutely no science and data that could prove that to the judge on Tuesday. If you have some science and data you'd like to share that outdoor patio dining leads to a rise in Covid cases, it would be interesting to see what the County of Los Angeles and their high paid legal team could not offer to the judge yesterday.
Your point was what I posted was somehow not germane to the thread. You know full well it is but rather fight about something you want to fight about, namely, the outdoor restrictions while ignoring its larger context.

My post was relevant to this thread, if you don't think so, report it.

TP2000

Original Poster
Your point was what I posted was somehow not germane to the thread. You know full well it is but rather fight about something you want to fight about, namely, the outdoor restrictions while ignoring its larger context.

My post was relevant to this thread, if you don't think so, report it.

Oh, gosh no. I've been here for years and years and I've never reported a single post. Even when some dork called me a racist a few months ago because I love The Supremes and I'm white. I just took it up directly with that one person, who has since disappeared.

I'd just like you to explain how outdoor dining at Downtown Disney, or any restaurant really, leads to a rise in Covid cases.

Los Angeles County bureaucrats were asked that same question yesterday in court, and they couldn't come up with any evidence to prove their case. They had no Science & Data, and actually had to admit to the judge they had no Science & Data that outdoor dining was inherently dangerous and needed to be shut down to help stop the spread of Covid.

So what Science & Data do you have to show us that outdoor dining spreads Covid, in this thread about Downtown Disney restaurants being closed and 350 Cast Members being furloughed because of it (plus a few hundred non-Disney employees at the non-Disney restaurants in Downtown Disney also losing their jobs two weeks before Christmas)?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Oh, gosh no. I've been here for years and years and I've never reported a single thread. Even when some dork once called me a racist because I love The Supremes and I'm white. I just took it up directly with that one person, who has since disappeared.

I'd just like you to explain how outdoor dining at Downtown Disney, or any restaurant really, leads to a rise in Covid cases.

Los Angeles County bureaucrats were asked that same question yesterday in court, and they couldn't come up with any evidence to prove their case. They had no Science & Data, and actually had to admit to the judge they had no Science & Data that outdoor dining was inherently dangerous and needed to be shut down to help stop the spread of Covid.

So what Science & Data do you have to show us that outdoor dining spread Covid in this thread about Downtown Disney restaurants being closed and 350 Cast Members being furloughed because of it (plus a few hundred non-Disney employees at the non-Disney restaurants in Downtown Disney also losing their jobs two weeks before Christmas)?

You've been "Like"ing my posts, so, I'm surprised you missed this..
The recent suit that that LA County lost was about equating indoor dining risks (which are real and documented) with outdoor risks (which has little or no documentation or studies AFAIK).

I think it will be difficult for the state to make a case about outdoor dining risks with a lack of data. But they'll be on solid ground banning indoor dining.

TP2000

Original Poster
You've been "Like"ing my posts, so, I'm surprised you missed this..

Okay, so I assume that just like the legal team for the County of Los Angeles you also have no data to support the failed assertion that outdoor dining spreads Covid?

If that's the case, what does the current ICU capacity in Riverside County have to do with Downtown Disney closing all their restaurants? I'm of the opinion the two issues have nothing in common.

But you posting news articles about ICU capacity in counties from Mono to Imperial to San Luis Obispo and everything in between (AKA "SoCal") leads me to believe you think Downtown Disney should stay closed to save lives?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Okay, so I assume that just like the legal team for the County of Los Angeles you also have no data to support the failed assertion that outdoor dining spreads Covid?

If that's the case, what does the current ICU capacity in Riverside County have to do with Downtown Disney closing all their restaurants? I'm of the opinion the two issues have nothing in common. But you posting news articles about ICU capacity in counties from Mono to Imperial to San Luis Obispo and everything in between (AKA "SoCal") leads me to believe you think Downtown Disney should stay closed to save lives?
If you have no more capacity to care for those who need ICUs and so the death rate spikes because lives that could have been saved weren't, then you're looking at a possible shelter-in-place in which indoor v. outdoor differences are moot because everything but essential (i.e., life or death) services are completely shut down... like the shops at DCA and DTD.

TP2000

Original Poster
If you have no more capacity to care for those who need ICUs and so the death rate spikes because lives that could have been saved weren't, then you're looking at a possible shelter-in-place in which indoor v. outdoor differences are moot because everything but essential (i.e., life or death) services are completely shut down... like the shops at DCA and DTD.

There are a lot of options to increase ICU capacity. Most of those only require Governor Newsom to pick up the phone to President Trump to activate US Army field hospitals and the USNS Mercy to move up from San Diego to San Pedro.

Currently the ICU capacity in Orange County is where it was in mid-July, when we were all assuming Disneyland was going to reopen, and none of us cared about ICU capacity because Sacramento hadn't made it a metric to care about.

ICU Capacity for Orange County (3.2 Million people, or about the size of Denver metro area)
July 15th = 245 people in ICU
December 9th = 239 people in ICU

For a disease that has the following survival rates for the following age ranges:

CDC COVID-19 Survival Rates
  • Age 0-19 — 99.997%
  • Age 20-49 — 99.98%
  • Age 50-69 — 99.5%
  • Age 70+ — 94.6%
And the highly paid legal team for the County of Los Angeles had to admit to a Superior Court judge yesterday they had no science and data to back up their decision to close outdoor dining. So tell me again why Downtown Disney restaurants are closed again? And tell me again why they just had to put hundreds of CM's and hundreds of non-CM's out of work two weeks before Christmas? And yet it was perfectly fine for me to spend the afternoon smelling Glade candles in a busy Target, which a hundred people may have touched before I got there?

Darkbeer1

Interesting to note, based on the The Medical Industry Leadership Institute (MILI) and the Management Information Systems Research Center (MISRC) at the Carlson School of Management currently in Orange County, 18.82 of our Hospital beds are occupied by COVID-19 patients. 31.43% of ICU Beds are COVID-19 patients.

COVID-19 Hospitalization Tracking Project | Carlson School of Management (umn.edu)

Coronavirus: These maps show hospital and ICU capacity in every U.S. county – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>In California, Madera county has the highest total percentage of its hospital beds occupied by COVID-19 patients at 36.4%. San Bernardino County has the second highest at 34.5%.<<

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
There are a lot of options to increase ICU capacity. Most of those only require Governor Newsom to pick up the phone to President Trump to activate US Army field hospitals and the USNS Mercy to move up from San Diego to San Pedro.

Currently the ICU capacity in Orange County is where it was in mid-July, when we were all assuming Disneyland was going to reopen, and none of us cared about ICU capacity because Sacramento hadn't made it a metric to care about.

ICU Capacity for Orange County (3.2 Million people, or about the size of Denver metro area)
July 15th = 245 people in ICU
December 9th = 239 people in ICU

For a disease that has the following survival rates for the following age ranges:

CDC COVID-19 Survival Rates
  • Age 0-19 — 99.997%
  • Age 20-49 — 99.98%
  • Age 50-69 — 99.5%
  • Age 70+ — 94.6%
And the highly paid legal team for the County of Los Angeles had to admit to a Superior Court judge yesterday they had no science and data to back up their decision to close outdoor dining. So tell me again why Downtown Disney restaurants are closed again? And tell me again why they just had to put hundreds of CM's and hundreds of non-CM's out of work two weeks before Christmas? And yet it was perfectly fine for me to spend the afternoon smelling Glade candles at Target, which a hundred people may have touched before I got there?

Wait, what does the death rate have to do with outdoor dining?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom