NEW VACCINE FROM MODERNA READY IN FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER OR SOONER!!

Trackmaster

Its pretty amazing to me that the same people who are saying that something like a vaccine is "dangerous" and they won't take it are the same exact people who think that Covid is perfectly fine and no big deal because it "only kills 2% of people." Obviously ignoring all of the permanent organ damage that it causes as well.

drizgirl

Its pretty amazing to me that the same people who are saying that something like a vaccine is "dangerous" and they won't take it are the same exact people who think that Covid is perfectly fine and no big deal because it "only kills 2% of people." Obviously ignoring all of the permanent organ damage that it causes as well.
I actually don't think they're the same people at all. The ones I've seen talk about delaying the vaccine are the ones who have been able to easily convert to working from home, using grocery delivery and enjoying time safely cocooned at home.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I actually don't think they're the same people at all. The ones I've seen talk about delaying the vaccine are the ones who have been able to easily convert to working from home, using grocery delivery and enjoying time safely cocooned at home.
That hasn’t been my experience at all. I don’t know a single person who wants them to delay the vaccine. The general anti-vaxxer crowd may be the exception (I don’t know anyone personally) but that has no correlation to working from home. I know many people who work from home and most are pretty happy that they don’t have to go to a physical work environment while the pandemic is raging but none are happier now than pre-pandemic. Working from home (especially with school age kids) is not any picnic. Most people I know can’t wait to get the vaccine and get back to work and life as it once was.

correcaminos

That hasn’t been my experience at all. I don’t know a single person who wants them to delay the vaccine. The general anti-vaxxer crowd may be the exception (I don’t know anyone personally) but that has no correlation to working from home. I know many people who work from home and most are pretty happy that they don’t have to go to a physical work environment while the pandemic is raging but none are happier now than pre-pandemic. Working from home (especially with school age kids) is not any picnic. Most people I know can’t wait to get the vaccine and get back to work and life as it once was.
I know quite a few who are vocal about the vaccine. Being in the trial has brought crazy comments out. Working from home with everyone home is harder than people realize. I cannot even do some things at home while others are here due to zooms, conference calls etc. It's not fun for anyone.

The ones I see who do not want it are beyond the regular anti-vaxxers. They are often the ones denying science in general and feel the virus is a hoax or overblown. I had one person say to me once the election was over, it would disappear since it couldn't be used as a political weapon. They went on to say hardly anyone is sick and the vaccine is being rushed. They doubted its efficacy (before numbers were announced) and didn't think vaccines were necessary nor masks. So I agree with @Trackmaster on this one. Yes we have anti-vaxxers who will always be problematic, but most are not that. They are often the ones whining about freedoms.

Then we have flippant remarks like above saying they won't trust it until x person gets it. Like it's a game we are playing here. This is no game people. The world wouldn't be where it is if it were nothing.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

My family has transitioned to working from home, remote learning, ordering everything but groceries online, and spending plenty of time together but hell no we don't want a delayed vaccine!!
As soon as NYS gives it the go ahead we are ready to get it and get back to doing things together outside of our house like going to the movies, restaurants, picnics, fairs, DISNEY...

The people that don't want a vaccine are those that don't believe in the virus at all.

seascape

My family has transitioned to working from home, remote learning, ordering everything but groceries online, and spending plenty of time together but hell no we don't want a delayed vaccine!!
As soon as NYS gives it the go ahead we are ready to get it and get back to doing things together outside of our house like going to the movies, restaurants, picnics, fairs, DISNEY...

The people that don't want a vaccine are those that don't believe in the virus at all.
I could. have sworn the Governor Cuomo said today that minorities don't trust the vaccine at a much higher percentage than others. That seams to contradict your opinion.

correcaminos

I could. have sworn the Governor Cuomo said today that minorities don't trust the vaccine at a much higher percentage than others. That seams to contradict your opinion.
How does that contradict anything?

Marginalized do not trust medical people at a much higher rate than whites for a legitimate reason. Many fear doctors due to horrible things done to their people in the past or the joy of having to fear that the white doctor won't care so much for the brown skinned people. I intentionally did not look at rates of issues with even child birth before having my kid for a reason. I will say having Hispanic and Arab blood in me likely made me a shoe in for the vaccine trial. They need non-anglo/aryan blood to work on. Fortunately I have family in enough STEM places that I trust science. Tell that to a marginalized who had craptastic care and truly fear for their safety. That's the only "I wanna wait" group that I actually give care to as their fears are not unfounded. I've convinced a few loved ones though.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I agree with Drizgirl, I am not by any means an antivaxxer.... but when something is rushed and brand new I have some reason to pause and think on it.....not totally trust it.....which doesn't mean I won't get one at all, it just means I have concerns and won't necessarily be the first one in line, not that I would be anyhow......I would assume there is a broad spectrum of people on this matter, not necessarily 2 or 3 distinct groupings. ;) Plus I have read somethings I have yet to form opinion on, that even once you are vaccinated, it will be some time until a certain percentage of the population, both in the USA and those who travel here to be vaccinated before you are at a safer standing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with Drizgirl, I am not by any means an antivaxxer.... but when something is rushed and brand new I have some reason to pause and think on it.....not totally trust it.....which doesn't mean I won't get one at all, it just means I have concerns and won't necessarily be the first one in line, not that I would be anyhow......I would assume there is a broad spectrum of people on this matter, not necessarily 2 or 3 distinct groupings. ;) Plus I have read somethings I have yet to form opinion on, that even once you are vaccinated, it will be some time until a certain percentage of the population, both in the USA and those who travel here to be vaccinated before you are at a safer standing.
The vaccine becomes effective 7 days after your 2nd shot. You will be in much safer standing then with only a 5% chance your vaccine didn’t work if the efficacy holds up. We will have to wait until enough people get the vaccine before Covid restrictions are lifted. So if enough people are on the fence or out then we could be facing continued mask mandates, distancing, limits on gatherings and businesses shut down. For example, if we get to say 70% vaccinated by Memorial Day it’s conceivable that we get most of the summer back with reduced or eliminated covid restrictions. If on the other hand less than half the population is vaccinated by then we likely will face another summer of restrictions heading into next fall.

correcaminos

The approval process might be more in the emergency fast track, but the rest was not rushed. I mean we are almost 6 months after I found out there were trials to sign up for. Just over 5 months ago I was contacted. One week past 2nd shot with 95% effective, my family will be in line asap. The distrust of science really does bother me. Those who act like it's scary will be responsible for keeping us locked up longer. I have zero issues at this point at quaratining people who refuse at home until this is over. I'm sick of complying while people are out there screwing it up for the rest of us.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The approval process might be more in the emergency fast track, but the rest was not rushed. I mean we are almost 6 months after I found out there were trials to sign up for. Just over 5 months ago I was contacted. One week past 2nd shot with 95% effective, my family will be in line asap. The distrust of science really does bother me. Those who act like it's scary will be responsible for keeping us locked up longer. I have zero issues at this point at quaratining people who refuse at home until this is over. I'm sick of complying while people are out there screwing it up for the rest of us.

The distrust of science is a little crazy because people put the safety and lives of themselves and their families in the hands of science many times every day without even thinking about it.

correcaminos

The distrust of science is a little crazy because people put the safety and lives of themselves and their families in the hands of science many times every day without even thinking about it.
That we do. Fortunately I come from a strong STEM background with my family. I have more faith in science than humanity at times :bored:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yeah I have only left my house and gone into a grocery store 3 times since March and that was at open wearing a N95 in and out. I have all my shots as do my children. The only thing I didn't get til a few years ago was a flu shot. I never get the flu and many of my friends have had bad reactions to it....but once my parent was in nursing home I did to protect them and have since.....especially this year I arranged for entire family to get one same time curbside at doctor's office. I just am a bit wary....and call it fast track or whatever, like when the HPV vaccine came out I wanted to think on that a few years before getting it for my children.....so that's me. But if I decide to wait a bit on this I will gladly be staying home until I do.....I will not be one to go rouge......I am curious to see how people react to the shot when it is administered to large portion of people, and wonder if we will be given choice to which vaccine we get too? I am in Michigan an Pfizer is here so likely that is where mine will be coming from.;)

Shouldigo12

Yeah I have only left my house and gone into a grocery store 3 times since March and that was at open wearing a N95 in and out. I have all my shots as do my children. The only thing I didn't get til a few years ago was a flu shot. I never get the flu and many of my friends have had bad reactions to it....but once my parent was in nursing home I did to protect them and have since.....especially this year I arranged for entire family to get one same time curbside at doctor's office. I just am a bit wary....and call it fast track or whatever, like when the HPV vaccine came out I wanted to think on that a few years before getting it for my children.....so that's me. But if I decide to wait a bit on this I will gladly be staying home until I do.....I will not be one to go rouge......I am curious to see how people react to the shot when it is administered to large portion of people, and wonder if we will be given choice to which vaccine we get too? I am in Michigan an Pfizer is here so likely that is where mine will be coming from.;)
You might have a choice, but the advice I've seen from doctors and the like is to not be picky. Whatever is available to you first, get it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hear what you are saying, but HPV isn’t killing an American a minute which is the pace we are at right now with Covid. The reward far outweighs the risk in my opinion, even for kids. I’m not telling you what to do at all, but I couldn’t imagine how bad I’d feel if me or my wife or kids got sick after we passed on the vaccine and then had any serious issues or even passed it on to someone else who did. This is a unique situation in my eyes.

On the vaccine choice I don’t think you will have one. I think each state will get an allotment from the manufacturer and if you qualify it will be take it or leave it. If you don’t sign up to take it at that time then when the brand you want is available in your state you will probably be able to get it then. In other words I don’t think they will give you an option of brand, the sign up will be for whichever one they have. If you wait until demand drops you will probably have your choice then.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I hear what you are saying, but HPV isn’t killing an American a minute which is the pace we are at right now with Covid. The reward far outweighs the risk in my opinion, even for kids. I’m not telling you what to do at all, but I couldn’t imagine how bad I’d feel if me or my wife or kids got sick after we passed on the vaccine and then had any serious issues or even passed it on to someone else who did. This is a unique situation in my eyes.

On the vaccine choice I don’t think you will have one. I think each state will get an allotment from the manufacturer and if you qualify it will be take it or leave it. If you don’t sign up to take it at that time then when the brand you want is available in your state you will probably be able to get it then. In other words I don’t think they will give you an option of brand, the sign up will be for whichever one they have. If you wait until demand drops you will probably have your choice then.

Thanks, yes I understand that about HPV......not comparing it in that aspect, just thinking on how I react to new vaccines coming out in general and very likely I will get it when available, I am just so into one day at a time now, I still want more information so I shall see what happens between now and when it is available! Just a thought, I was wondering if they will test you for covid or antibodies before you get vaccine.......that and I wonder if they will be able to do this vaccine curbside. It was very efficient for the flu shot, you had an appointment, had a phone app, when you drove up they knew you were there and just asked for your birthdate to verify identity. Then we rolled down window, stuck arm out and we were on our way. It was rather cold but nurses were dressed for it and we pulled right up no line due to appointment window. :cool: I am optimistically hopeful.....with a few ounces of caution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom