News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

erasure fan1

Again, I appear to be in the minority who can ride something like Splash Mountain and just be entertained. Those who go finding things to be offended about will find them, which is how we got here. The ride was scrubbed of any of the original SotS "offensive" parts, but that didn't stop the "I'm Offended" crowd from being just that.
I don't think you are in the minority. I personally have never met someone who was offended by splash. Once the offended crowd gets cancel culture aimed at you, it is pretty well over. Not too many corporations have the guts to stand up to it. So it's just easier to bow down and make it go away. Of course it never really goes away, they just move on to something else in your company because now they know they have you.

J4546

Im all for the change as long as they do it well which I have faith they will.

I like The Princess and the Frog movie and it takes place in the bayou and even has the haunted mansion in it so I think it fits well theming wise. And also I think its a pretty big deal to have a black disney princess in the parks. Now im not saying black people feel uncomfortable or unwelcomed in disney parks in any capacity but I mean god damn, imagine being a black person and having 0 representation in the disney castle parks still in 2020. And again PatF is a legit good movie imo and deserves some shine in the parks.

tirian

Again, I appear to be in the minority who can ride something like Splash Mountain and just be entertained. Those who go finding things to be offended about will find them, which is how we got here. The ride was scrubbed of any of the original SotS "offensive" parts, but that didn't stop the "I'm Offended" crowd from being just that.
This is the wrong thread for my full reply, but the bottom line is that I agree with you.

erasure fan1

Now im not saying black people feel uncomfortable or unwelcomed in disney parks in any capacity but I mean god damn, imagine being a black person and having 0 representation in the disney castle parks still in 2020. And again PatF is a legit good movie imo and deserves some shine in the parks.
I completely agree. The only thing is, to fix that problem, splash doesn't need to be the sacrificial lamb. They could easily build a fitting ride for PatF and keep splash. I personally loved the movie so it kind of upsets me to see that it's only getting a shoehorn instead of getting a from the ground up attraction. You have more faith in Disney than I do, I can't see this being anything more than a basic reskin. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I don't think the "I'm offended" crowd is the reason for the change.

They may have hastened the announcement, but Disney has been hiding Song of the South for ages. It was almost inevitable that they were going to eventually dump Splash Mountain to excise SotS entirely, barring a change in leadership with different ideas.

Last edited:

J4546

I completely agree. The only thing is to fix that problem, splash doesn't need to be the sacrificial lamb. They could easily build a fitting ride for PatF and kept splash. I personally loved the movie so it kind of upsets me to see that it's only getting a shoehorn instead of getting a from the ground up attraction. You have more faith in Disney than I do, I can't see this being anything more than a basic reskin. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.
i get that people will miss splash but PatF takes place in the bayou, so if you had a PatF ride it would have to go in that area of the park. The only other option in that area would be to build it on TS Island and completely redo that area, replace Winnie the Pooh, or maybe replace the hungry bear restaraunt with a train station in build a ride in that area between pirates and HM, but even then, splash mountain was gonna get replaced sooner than later.

BrianLo

Disney in their PR statements could have completely ignored the social/political implications of Splash and simply stated that they think Princess and the Frog is the perfect subject matter for an even better experience.

But they're really leaning in on "inclusive" wording and being as vocal and unambiguous about it as possible. It's certainly...a choice.

I'm really not that impassioned about this overhaul, but I really don't think that is what they are saying. This seemed like a super innocuous comment.

For example Big Brother/Survivor is undergoing an inclusion casting mandate (about time), but that does not imply anything about anyone who was a "fan" of what came before. And frankly that's even a more extreme example... the original subject matter is the issue here, not really the ride in a microcosm.

Maybe I am just not delving into the depths of Dis Twitter or something... but I have no idea where some of these outlandish implications of the Splash Mountain Fandom seem to be coming from.

No one is a terrible person for having loved Splash Mountain. Far from it.

MagicHappens1971

Maybe I am just not delving into the depths of Dis Twitter or something... but I have no idea where some of these outlandish implications of the Splash Mountain Fandom seem to be coming from.

No one is a terrible person for having loved Splash Mountain. Far from it.
From what I understand its people taking this statement "We want to make sure that we’re focusing on inclusivity for our guests as well, so we’ve chosen to speed up some of the work that we had been developing to make sure that our parks remain relevant and welcoming to all of our guests." out of context.

Brer Panther

Since SM is the only "guest facing changes" so far, I assume we'll hear more about the other rumored "PC" changes soon (Jungle Cruise, IASW, Peter Pan's Flight, etc.)?
Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah. The floodgates have opened. Can't wait for Peter Pan's Flight to get turned into a ride based on that crappy live action Mulan remake.
Iger has wanted to do this for awhile. He hates Brer Rabbit. Every single mention of it at an investors meeting is met with his disgust.
I wish Bob Iger would just leave the company already. In fact, I'm starting to think that he should have never become CEO of the company at all.

matt9112

Im all for the change as long as they do it well which I have faith they will.

I like The Princess and the Frog movie and it takes place in the bayou and even has the haunted mansion in it so I think it fits well theming wise. And also I think its a pretty big deal to have a black disney princess in the parks. Now im not saying black people feel uncomfortable or unwelcomed in disney parks in any capacity but I mean god damn, imagine being a black person and having 0 representation in the disney castle parks still in 2020. And again PatF is a legit good movie imo and deserves some shine in the parks.

Why do you have faith? Was frozen ever after amazing to you?

Brer Oswald

And the employees who worked the attraction were complicit in perpetuating racism and not being inclusive.

They're gaslighting their own guests, Imagineers and CMs.
They’ve driven a completely unnecessary wedge between people, and have made many people people feel terrible for no reason. I’m really appalled by how they’ve handled this, and let this spin to this degree.

This is beyond the retheme itself. I love Disney, but I just feel awful. They created this nasty stigma. It’s just so unnecessary.

Brer Oswald

The “I’m Offended” crowd adapted. They weren’t the cause of this change. They were just a piece in the play for the Company.

They timed the announcement so that the “Offended Mob” would cannibalize the crowd against the change. This isn’t just a simple disagreement on entertainment. People have made personal attacks. Disney started a war amongst their “Guests” and they lit another spark today. That’s business I guess, but boy is that really going against the “inclusivity” message their trying to push here.

Unbanshee

Here's the quote - these comments were made at the virtual IAAPA expo this morning.

“Guest facing changes, like the reimagining of “Splash Mountain,” have been expedited to ensure that all who visit the company’s parks do feel welcome as well.”

I don't know why all ears got it wrong, but Blog Mickey has the full quote

DCBaker

Premium Member
I don't know why all ears got it wrong, but Blog Mickey has the full quote

Thanks for that. After a little looking, it appears Allears just took that small part from this article at IAAPA -

The cultural change at the company has already begun. The company will be deepening its relationship with historically Black colleges and universities to create a stronger pipeline to careers in finance, human resources, legal, communications, production, and technology. “We believe that truly inclusive environment is critical to fostering ideas from all people to help us grow, innovate, and create the best stories possible,” D’Amaro said. More information about Disney’s backstage commitment to inclusivity will be rolling out in the next few months. Guest facing changes, like the reimagining of “Splash Mountain,” have been expedited to ensure that all who visit the company’s parks do feel welcome as well.

_caleb

The “I’m Offended” crowd adapted. They weren’t the cause of this change. They were just a piece in the play for the Company.

They timed the announcement so that the “Offended Mob” would cannibalize the crowd against the change. This isn’t just a simple disagreement on entertainment. People have made personal attacks. Disney started a war amongst their “Guests” and they lit another spark today. That’s business I guess, but boy is that really going against the “inclusivity” message their trying to push here.
Dramatic much?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom