News Holidays 2020 at Walt Disney World

mm52200

I agree that the crowding does not look good, but the posts made it look like one long parade. Upon second look they are all mini parades, and the crowd watching each on is mostly different, though clearly there are persons that stake out a spot to record all the individual calavades.

I take some comfort that while there is some crowding, it is still not on the level of a presentation of Festival of Fantasy. These look more like 1 person deep, and shoulder to shoulder, and for far less then 15 minutes. So the chances of you standing next to the same asymptomatic person for over 15 minutes watching these calvades is slim. Where a mask, and try to pick a less busy spot. Lib square, town square, riverside of frontier land
Once again also every blogger and streamer and AP is there the first day, to see the first ones, on Main Street, first thing in the morning when guests are still entering and being forced onto the sidewalk last minute as a cavalcade comes out of nowhere. It’s less chaotic as the day goes on but then also less busy in other parts of the park as well!

Disone

Once again also every blogger and streamer and AP is there the first day, to see the first ones, on Main Street, first thing in the morning when guests are still entering and being forced onto the sidewalk last minute as a cavalcade comes out of nowhere. It’s less chaotic as the day goes on but then also less busy in other parts of the park as well!
I agree.

LastoneOn

Magic Kingdom is very very ugly today. Absolutely no social distancing and mask enforcement. Looks like CM have given up. Way too many people here. Not worth staying I’m leaving I’ll watch the projections from the California Grill tonight.
Maybe they're celebrating. Lots of celebrating going on around the country and nobody's too worried about distancing and masks. Suddenly.

gerarar

Premium Member
So am I the only one to realize the projections are all from the firework show last year? Wow, it must have taken so much time for Disney for do that 🙄
Why would they create new projections when the projections from MWCF were already good enough? Imo, that show has been the best show yet to utilize projections alongside the main focal point of the show, the fireworks/pyro. The projections complement the show.

tirian

So am I the only one to realize the projections are all from the firework show last year? Wow, it must have taken so much time for Disney for do that 🙄

Why would they create new projections when the projections from MWCF were already good enough? Imo, that show has been the best show yet to utilize projections alongside the main focal point of the show, the fireworks/pyro. The projections complement the show.

Thanks to the projections, the castle looks better in Christmas patterns than it does during the day. Some of the designs include the original white/blue/yellow color scheme.

mm52200

I’m not sure what you were expecting? Once again budgets for anything barely exist, most cast that work in creative and entertainment are laid off or furloughed, the teams that do remain are trying to make do with the little they have to work with so yes that includes a fair amount of reuse and recycling.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a look at the Studios holiday decor for 2021. As with the other parks, largely the same as last year.

Holidays-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_39676.jpg

rreading

So we're rarely (only been once about a decade ago) able to visit WDW over Christmas. For those who go - do the HTH projections work? The up close photos don't look great and it doesn't feel right to have TOT looking festive. But from Sunset Blvd at a distance, it looks like maybe it's okay?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So we're rarely (only been once about a decade ago) able to visit WDW over Christmas. For those who go - do the HTH projections work? The up close photos don't look great and it doesn't feel right to have TOT looking festive. But from Sunset Blvd at a distance, it looks like maybe it's okay?
I think it is very much in the eye of the beholder. I personally think projections have been way overdone at the parks. I think they worked well where it fitted some kind of story - like the Tree of Life Awakens at DAK. But projecting holiday scenes on the Tower just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

rreading

I think it is very much in the eye of the beholder. I personally think projections have been way overdone at the parks. I think they worked well where it fitted some kind of story - like the Tree of Life Awakens at DAK. But projecting holiday scenes on the Tower just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

The projections on Cinderella's castle seem reasonable as well - though I probably prefer the decoration it had previously (the dream lights?)

But I agree - there should be a reasonable theme. Just because the new decorations are easy doesn't make them good. Arendelle on HTH? Really?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The projections on Cinderella's castle seem reasonable as well - though I probably prefer the decoration it had previously (the dream lights?)

But I agree - there should be a reasonable theme. Just because the new decorations are easy doesn't make them good. Arendelle on HTH? Really?
Yep I agree. I put Tree of Life at the top of the list for effective use of the projections, then somewhere in the middle goes Cinderella Castle and the Chinese Theater, with HTH at the bottom of the list.

JohnD

In prior years, Sunset Greetings at HS was very much like Tree of Life Awakenings at AK. i.e. The Tower would come to life with a brief interlude of music and projections. Naturally, you would be more likely to stop and watch the whole thing. This year, music was removed so that you would still see the projections change but be less likely to stop (and do less social distancing). It just becomes random images against the tower. MK is doing random images this year too against Cinderella Castle (using tech from Happily Ever After) but has never done the short interludes with projections and music like AK and HS have done. That was reserved for the whole Happily Ever After fireworks/projection show.

JohnD

Yep I agree. I put Tree of Life at the top of the list for effective use of the projections, then somewhere in the middle goes Cinderella Castle and the Chinese Theater, with HTH at the bottom of the list.

I think the tower got the projections for the vertical real estate that was available to project against.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom