News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

Stevie Amsterdam

Here’s the AP photo which has become the de facto media shot ever since Joe Burbank took it on September 30. It’s a professional photograph of the castle in all its, ahem, glory. This is what it looks like when Pixie Dusters haven’t filtered it to death on Instagram.

Just for fun, I’m including the concept art here too.

View attachment 510180
I'm not sure if this is an unedited picture. I don't think a filter was used, but the green in the bushes and trees and the purple in the clouds, suggest that some alterations were made in either (or a combination of) the saturation, contrast and / or hue balance.

tirian

Concept looks a lot like Tokyo's castle IMO

tokyo-disneyland-cinderella-castle-1.jpg
And theirs looks fantastic!

tirian

I'm not sure if this is an unedited picture. I don't think a filter was used, but the green in the bushes and trees and the purple in the clouds, suggest that some alterations were made in either (or a combination of) the saturation, contrast and / or hue balance.
It’s been properly metered for the castle and probably used a polarized lense. We know some Photoshop work was done, but the point of this photo is to represent the castle as accurately as possible.

It’s also the shot repeatedly used by websites and publications. For the first time ever, a media glamour shot of the castle makes WDW look like a tacky, garish place.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s been properly metered for the castle and probably used a polarized lense. We know some Photoshop work was done, but the point of this photo is to represent the castle as accurately as possible.

It’s also the shot repeatedly used by websites and publications. For the first time ever, a media glamour shot of the castle makes WDW look like a tacky, garish place.
It also looks like the monorail drops you off right in front of the castle.

#telephotoisnotreality

Stevie Amsterdam

The fact that it's been used repeatedly for websites and publications doesn't make it more (or less) accurate.

macd.jpg

I also wish they'd stay truer to the concept art, but the sunburnt color in your picture is not how it looks like irl.

_caleb

Sign of the times: nobody believes the photos of the castle are real.
Also: most of the photos of the castle have been manipulated.

Has anyone explicitly tried to get photos that accurately represent the colors in real life? Maybe even over the course of a day so we can see it in different lighting?

ImperfectPixie

Has anyone explicitly tried to get photos that accurately represent the colors in real life? Maybe even over the course of a day so we can see it in different lighting?
It doesn't matter how accurate the photos themselves are...they will look different on every monitor. I used to have to calibrate mine weekly as part of my job.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Unless you have professional equipment and are also taking a photo of a standard color palette in the same light and then adjusting the photo to make it adhere to that standard color palette, then no photo can claim to be accurate.

_caleb

It doesn't matter how accurate the photos themselves are...they will look different on every monitor. I used to have to calibrate mine weekly as part of my job.

Unless you have professional equipment and are also taking a photo of a standard color palette in the same light and then adjusting the photo to make it adhere to that standard color palette, then no photo can claim to be accurate.
Excellent points!

I hereby withdraw my unrealistic request for “accurate” photos of the castle, and hang my head in shame for failing to consider the (obvious to all but me) uncontrollable variable of computer displays.

trainplane3

The castle should look good without having to sit there and dial in settings on a camera or having a specific monitor. Most photos will be taken on a phone where someone stopped for about 30 seconds (if that) to get it. If they expected the guest to get the settings perfect for the most absolute accurate picture then they don't know how a normal person works.

Stevie Amsterdam

A picture is worth a 1000 words, but video usually does the trick. I suggest you mute the video, and pause at around 5m00s

_caleb

A picture is worth a 1000 words, but video usually does the trick. I suggest you mute the video, and pause at around 5m00s

Thanks! I did what you recommended, and I think it does give a good idea of what the castle might look like IRL.

One strange thing about that video, though. Even though I followed your instructions and muted the sound, I swear I could still hear:

"HEY GUYS, IT'S YOUR BOY ROB (or something) comin' at you LIVE from the Magic Kingdom and today we're going to take a look at all the Christmas decorations! Be sure to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON and ring the bell so you don't miss any of our updates!"

Stevie Amsterdam

Thanks! I did what you recommended, and I think it does give a good idea of what the castle might look like IRL.

One strange thing about that video, though. Even though I followed your instructions and muted the sound, I swear I could still hear:

"HEY GUYS, IT'S YOUR BOY ROB (or something) comin' at you LIVE from the Magic Kingdom and today we're going to take a look at all the Christmas decorations! Be sure to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON and ring the bell so you don't miss any of our updates!"
not listening dumb and dumber GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom