Oh no, say it ain't so, Joe..

TrainsOfDisney

Or even research trips overall, considering that other projects like Toy Story Land or Pixar Pier don't seem to exactly run cheap.
Pixar Pier is embarrassing. Even worse than Dino land, and yes I know what I’m saying.

At least in Toy Story Land slinky is pretty good for what it is. I smile when I see him go by and watching the little launch is fun.

the.dreamfinder

Business travelers fly business class. If they are forced to fly coach they get grumpy and feel disrespected so you give them the props and expect them to return the investment in spades. These people are lauded as the best of the best and they get treated that way.
Otherwise you have workers going to a weekend convention as an attaboy but they don't get much of an expense account.

Yes, and I find it hard to imagine that the difference between economy and business class tickets or research trips overall have had much of an impact on the insane budgets of recent WDI projects. Projects like Toy Story Land or Pixar Pier don't seem to exactly run cheap without them.
It’s a reflection of a culture that doesn’t care about costs, at the expense of the kinds of projects they can work on (IP seen as a surer bet to recoup costs) and the ambition those projects can have.

Robbiem

If you are travelling for work you usually don't have any time to adjust for jet lag. I'm not going to begrudge anyone a business class flight on a long haul trip, especially with the way planes have maximized the number of seats in economy.

i don’t begrudge anyone travelling business if they can, the difference is amazing. I’ve done it when I’ve been lucky enough to afford it and would do it more if I could, if someone else was paying I’d do it all the time 😀✌️

RSoxNo1

Pixar Pier is embarrassing. Even worse than Dino land, and yes I know what I’m saying.

At least in Toy Story Land slinky is pretty good for what it is. I smile when I see him go by and watching the little launch is fun.
By no means am I defending Pixar Pier, but it's not worse than Dino-Rama (which I assume is what you mean). If you are talking about all of Dinoland, I would hear that argument.

Having said that, despite the poor theming in Pixar Pier, it's a better theme and better execution than Dino-Rama. The attraction lineup and dining lineup is also substantially better in Pixar Pier. You'd be 100% justified in your criticism of Incredicoaster (and its predecessor's) fit in a Disney theme park, but the coaster itself is still excellent. You also have a family friendly D-ticket that fits the seaside amusement park theme.

With that said, I would absolutely listen to an addition by subtraction argument for both areas.

Disney Analyst

By no means am I defending Pixar Pier, but it's not worse than Dino-Rama (which I assume is what you mean). If you are talking about all of Dinoland, I would hear that argument.

Having said that, despite the poor theming in Pixar Pier, it's a better theme and better execution than Dino-Rama. The attraction lineup and dining lineup is also substantially better in Pixar Pier. You'd be 100% justified in your criticism of Incredicoaster (and its predecessor's) fit in a Disney theme park, but the coaster itself is still excellent. You also have a family friendly D-ticket that fits the seaside amusement park theme.

With that said, I would absolutely listen to an addition by subtraction argument for both areas.

Thematically, the pier is a mess. Aesthetically, it looks better then it did 100%. The original pier was a disaster.

Disney Analyst

Only in places. Incredicoaster and the Carousel look considerably worse imho.

The entrance with luxo and the bandshell where the orchestra used to play along with the Pixar theming of the midway games were the improvements.

I’m fine with how the coaster looks, apart from the babies on a stick... just remove those.

Carousel is a 1:1 for me.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m fine with how the coaster looks, apart from the babies on a stick... just remove those.

Carousel is a 1:1 for me.
Yeah take away the theming they added and I like how the coaster looks as well. Ha.

king tritons Carousel was nice for what it was and it had the themed fountains surrounding it and I think a calliope as well.

The new one is sooooo plastic and cheap looking to me.

_caleb

That’s not the issue. Paradise Pier as a romanticized version of an old fashioned boardwalk is a great idea.
I guess we disagree on that. I spent a LOT of time in DCA 1.0, and while I was happy to have a new park, I was sorely disappointed by Paradise Pier. Unless you’re going to go WAY over the top in plussing for your homage, there’s just not a convincing way to make the ”Orange Stinger” anything other than just the swings from the State Fair.

UNCgolf

I guess we disagree on that. I spent a LOT of time in DCA 1.0, and while I was happy to have a new park, I was sorely disappointed by Paradise Pier. Unless you’re going to go WAY over the top in plussing for your homage, there’s just not a convincing way to make the ”Orange Stinger” anything other than just the swings from the State Fair.

Although I've never been to DCA, I'm absolutely positive that Paradise Pier had better music.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m talking about the pier in DCA 2.0. After midway mania but before jack jack on sticks.

_caleb

I find it amusing that there is such a visceral hatred of theme overlays in part of DCA...which was hated when it opened. It’s like defending that which you loathed. It’s interesting...we’re a tough crowd
We are indeed!

My problem with the “themed overlay” was that I never understood what Pixar characters had in common (other than that crazy theory that they’re all part of a meta-verse), never mind what they have to do with an old fashioned boardwalk amusement park.

If Buena Vista Street was a retheme, I’m on board. Cars Land? Yes, please! Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield? Huh. Maybe? But Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier? No thanks.

TrainsOfDisney

We are indeed!

My problem with the “themed overlay” was that I never understood what Pixar characters had in common (other than that crazy theory that they’re all part of a meta-verse), never mind what they have to do with an old fashioned boardwalk amusement park.

If Buena Vista Street was a retheme, I’m on board. Cars Land? Yes, please! Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield? Huh. Maybe? But Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier? No thanks.
To be fair... Car Land (no IP) would have been a really great addition to the park. It just wasn’t built and then IP slapped on top.

I’m with you though... the 2.0 version of the park was really something special until Pixar and Marvel invaded.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We are indeed!

To be fair... Car Land (no IP) would have been a really great addition to the park. It just wasn’t built and then IP slapped on top.

I’m with you though... the 2.0 version of the park was really something special until Pixar and Marvel invaded.

...but you had to know it was coming...

I was there last summer and I’m not a huge fan of IP overlay on the pier...but the addition of lamplighters and the ease of maxpass made it just as enjoyable day there as I’ve had at ANY wdw park in years...

And no...doesn’t mean they shouldn’t cut out the IP push and add new things instead of overlays...but I’m not incensed about it like I am with the horrid “rework” of mgm

TrainsOfDisney

I was there last summer and I’m not a huge fan of IP overlay on the pier...but the addition of lamplighters and the ease of maxpass made it just as enjoyable day there as I’ve had at ANY wdw park in years...

And no...doesn’t mean they shouldn’t cut out the IP push and add new things instead of overlays...but I’m not incensed about it like I am with the horrid “rework” of mgm
Lamplight I like. I also liked the Pixar orchestra before they were cut and I like the Pixar midway games. There were a few pros with the retheme but it feels so messy and clashes with itself in several places. That’s the part I really don’t like.

That’s why I think Dino land is better... at least it’s one thing. A tacky carnival.

_caleb

I didn’t see the Pier overlay coming. The Paradise Pier had a consistent theme. Now, (as @TrainChasers says) there’s no consistency at all.

DinoRama has a consistent (if weak) theme. When they first announced the Donald Duck overlay, I thought maybe it would be the Pixar Pier treatment. But a theme park land themed to a shoddy amusement park in a parking lot with a weak character IP overlay is too much for me.

Again, I know— I’m difficult to please!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom