Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Other than some truly wild leaps in logic (apparently, your mind twists “let’s try something else because clearly what we’ve been doing for 7+ months isn’t working” into “who cares who dies!” because that’s how hard you want to cling to your love of lockdowns), I honestly have no idea what you’re on about

Of course you don’t...even if I didn’t word twist, you wouldn’t. You’re quoting bad propaganda...it defines you.

disneycp

Of course you don’t...even if I didn’t word twist, you wouldn’t. You’re quoting bad propaganda...it defines you.

Cute. You didn’t address my point, though. You just say a bunch of nonsense in flowery language and hope no one notices that you don’t have any opinions of substance.

So I’ll ask again. How, exactly, am I wrong for saying the constant cycle of lockdown, open up, lockdown hasn’t been effective at reducing cases?

In plain English, please. No calls to emotion that don’t make any sense. Or are you afraid to admit people can disagree with you and be right?

Chi84

Premium Member
Cute. You didn’t address my point, though. You just say a bunch of nonsense in flowery language and hope no one notices that you don’t have any opinions of substance.

So I’ll ask again. How, exactly, am I wrong for saying the constant cycle of lockdown, open up, lockdown hasn’t been effective at reducing cases?

In plain English, please. No calls to emotion that don’t make any sense. Or are you afraid to admit people can disagree with you and be right?
Flowery?

hopemax

A. We haven’t been in a cycle of lockdown. We had one. Some places are looking at a second

B. If we do have another, it is exactly what was predicted in March by the experts. They said the virus was likely to come in waves and we should expect increased restrictions including periods of lockdown each time cases spike. There were illustrations posted during March, I’m sure you can find them.

C. People like to change their definition of things to suit their agenda. I feel like you are saying “reducing cases” when you mean “zero cases.” Analysis fairly recently gave estimates on how many lives were saved with the restrictions and how many more lives could be saved by future restrictions. I’m sure you can find them too. As well as all the discussion about fewer deaths in the summer wave than the March wave. So delaying infections saved lives too. Especially learning about the vascular complications.

Kevin_W

Looking at the world-wide data, I'm curious as to "what's different?". Most of Europe, from Spain to Finland, is skyrocketing in the past month. What's different? did they stop doing distancing/masks/etc? Meanwhile, global case leaders India and Brazil have been decreasing steadily for the past 1-2 months. What's different? did they suddenly institute policies?

I genuinely don't know, but as we're all humans I have a hard time believing that Europeans got fed up with complying with restrictions at the same time that Brazilians started adopting them. Maybe there are climate/healthcare/MME vaccination/other as an underlying factor, but it looks quite confusing to me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looking at the world-wide data, I'm curious as to "what's different?". Most of Europe, from Spain to Finland, is skyrocketing in the past month. What's different? did they stop doing distancing/masks/etc? Meanwhile, global case leaders India and Brazil have been decreasing steadily for the past 1-2 months. What's different? did they suddenly institute policies?

I genuinely don't know, but as we're all humans I have a hard time believing that Europeans got fed up with complying with restrictions at the same time that Brazilians started adopting them. Maybe there are climate/healthcare/MME vaccination/other as an underlying factor, but it looks quite confusing to me.
We’ve been talking about the concept of waves from day 1 of this. Europe appears to have officially started their second wave. In most of those countries they did a better job than we did here getting the virus under control and they really ended their first wave. This summer most of those countries had the vast majority of their economy open. In France for example people were traveling, bars and restaurants were open. They basically did what we talked about but never accomplished. I have no idea how to compare that situation to what we have here since we never ended our first wave. We never got close to under control in most of the country so maybe we just continue at a high level of cases but we don’t see the extreme spike (mostly because we are starting at such a higher level). The interesting part to watch is how will countries respond and will it work?

DisneyDebRob

There are a few articles on why it’s happening from thinking they had it under control and opening more to a few other things. But this paragraph from one of the articles seems to be in almost every article I read.

Europe clamped down hard on the pandemic this spring, and the payoff was a summer that was more normal than many people had expected,” wrote my colleague Michael Birnbaum. “But by the end of August, infections were again on the rise, with more cases concentrated among younger people — who perhaps considered the virus a more remote threat. Now it is spreading to their parents and grandparents, and medical systems are beginning to feel the strain.”

Sounds like I’ve heard this before.

ImperfectPixie

We’ve been talking about the concept of waves from day 1 of this. Europe appears to have officially started their second wave. In most of those countries they did a better job than we did here getting the virus under control and they really ended their first wave. This summer most of those countries had the vast majority of their economy open. In France for example people were traveling, bars and restaurants were open. They basically did what we talked about but never accomplished. I have no idea how to compare that situation to what we have here since we never ended our first wave. We never got close to under control in most of the country so maybe we just continue at a high level of cases but we don’t see the extreme spike (mostly because we are starting at such a higher level). The interesting part to watch is how will countries respond and will it work?
I really think what's happening around me (our town is seeing a resurgence in cases) is that we buckled down and got the virus very much under control (we had only a handful of active cases not too long ago), and then people became complacent.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think a lot of things will change in the next few months, possibly even a development of a vaccine. The CDC recommendations may change, or Disney may decide to change its requirements to bring them in line with other amusement parks that don’t require masks on very young children. I know what Disney’s current requirements are and what they are telling guests now. There’s no reason to believe those things won’t change over the next several months.
Yes, I agree (and said so already) that the CDC may very well change their recommendation and the WHO sets their age older already.

As far as I know the major theme park companies (Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Six Flags) all have the same policy around age for masks as well as the major airlines. In the Orlando market I know LEGOLAND has no mask requirement. All those companies are falling back on CDC and public health official guidelines and it’s my opinion that if/when the CDC revises their guidelines than most if not all of these companies will update their policies. Is it possible that Disney or others will change the policy before the CDC moves on it, yes sure, but IMHO its not very likely.

ImperfectPixie

Oh, another new development in our town, too, is that we have a newly renovated skate park at which kids were constantly congregating without wearing masks. There is now an electric highway sign stating that if masks aren't worn when visiting, the area will be closed. They've also hired people to enforce the mask mandates and follow through with fines.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I really think what's happening around me (our town is seeing a resurgence in cases) is that we buckled down and got the virus very much under control (we had only a handful of active cases not too long ago), and then people became complacent.
Buckle up...the holiday season is going to be a tough time for people to avoid gatherings. In places where bars are open without restrictions, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the biggest bar day of the year...then all those people will get together with large family groups the next day. Has superspreader written all over it. I know a few people who are planning to do a 14 day quarantine leading into Thanksgiving so they can feel comfortable seeing relatives (especially elderly ones) but I’m sure that won’t be the norm and everyone at your Thanksgiving needs to commit to doing it. Then less than a month later you roll into the Christmas holidays and have to do it all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom