Rumor Disney may be about to expand the use of virtual queue boarding groups at Walt Disney World

ppete1975

I wonder where the breaking point is for the average guest? Having to be at rope drop to reserve a digital space for the jungle cruise?
i honestly wonder if the virtual queue for rise of the resistance is adding to the rush to get the tickets. Artificial demand, almost a game to see if you can get a pass. If it was just a line would it be as crazy... or is it just such a low capacity that it cant be fixed

rexmism

I believe I know what triggered this article. It's something that showed up for a couple hours on Friday evening - I came across it myself. I think it's extremely misleading to make any conclusions based on it. WDW may be up to SOMEthing with VQs, but if it were me writing the article, it would be a "Huh??" article, rather than a "HEY LOOK" article. It's impossible to guess the implications.

Lorne82

I believe I know what triggered this article. It's something that showed up for a couple hours on Friday evening - I came across it myself. I think it's extremely misleading to make any conclusions based on it. WDW may be up to SOMEthing with VQs, but if it were me writing the article, it would be a "Huh??" article, rather than a "HEY LOOK" article. It's impossible to guess the implications.

What showed up?

dX927

I'm not sure if this helps anyone figure out the spacing of lines but when I was there on the 11th I remarked to my friends that our spot in the queue at Splash Mountain for a 45 minute wait is typically where we'd be when the line was at 90-120 minutes on a normal day.

Club Cooloholic

i honestly wonder if the virtual queue for rise of the resistance is adding to the rush to get the tickets. Artificial demand, almost a game to see if you can get a pass. If it was just a line would it be as crazy... or is it just such a low capacity that it cant be fixed
I kinda agree.
Maybe they should do things the old fashioned way, wanna ride it? Wait in the line. If you really want to ride it, you wait 2 hours. If you don't then don't. Something is wrong that we reward people that are fastest on their phones(what do elderly visitors do, my mother would be lost,).
If the ride can't handle a decent percentage of park visitors throughout the day, maybe it's just not an appropriate ride for an amusement park or the amusement park is letting in too many guests.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I kinda agree.
Maybe they should do things the old fashioned way, wanna ride it? Wait in the line. If you really want to ride it, you wait 2 hours. If you don't then don't. Something is wrong that we reward people that are fastest on their phones(what do elderly visitors do, my mother would be lost,).
If the ride can't handle a decent percentage of park visitors throughout the day, maybe it's just not an appropriate ride for an amusement park or the amusement park is letting in too many guests.
The ride is apparently not capable of operating reliably. There’s nothing that special about the trackless vehicles, they could have done a version of the Omni movers and it wouldn’t have lost much and people would be able to ride it.

RSoxNo1

The issue here is not wait time, but queue space. Jungle Cruise is nothing but switchbacks hence it's inclusion.

As for people harping on the 25% number. Pre-COVID, the Disney parks generally had 40-70% of their theoretical capacity in the park on any given day. Considering that many attractions are operating at a significantly reduced capacity, the 25% number isn't going to feel like a Touring Plans 1 out of 10.

This isn't simple math unfortunately.

An attraction like Peter Pan's Flight likely has very little change in its hourly guests during COVID vs. pre-COVID. Each pirate galleon was limited to one party. Alternatively, an attraction like Na'vi River Journey could previously seat up to 8 guests per boat and they would mix parties. Now, to my knowledge they won't mix parties on that attraction at all.

UNCgolf

The ride is apparently not capable of operating reliably. There’s nothing that special about the trackless vehicles, they could have done a version of the Omni movers and it wouldn’t have lost much and people would be able to ride it.

A lot of the effects in the ride wouldn't have been possible with standard omnimovers. All the scenes have to be on a continual loop with omnimovers; you can't have stuff like a lightsaber coming through the ceiling or Kylo Ren chasing you because too many vehicles would miss the effect.

They probably could have done a regularly tracked ride for most of it though, with sufficient space between vehicles. I'm not sure that would help capacity any, though.

It's just a fundamental flaw of the trackless system. It basically requires a lower capacity along with huge open rooms to give the vehicle space to maneuver (otherwise you'd be cutting the capacity even more with only one vehicle per room, and also mostly defeating the purpose of the system).

TrainsOfDisney

A lot of the effects in the ride wouldn't have been possible with standard omnimovers. All the scenes have to be on a continual loop with omnimovers; you can't have stuff like a lightsaber coming through the ceiling or Kylo Ren chasing you because too many vehicles would miss the effect.

They probably could have done a regularly tracked ride for most of it though, with sufficient space between vehicles. I'm not sure that would help capacity any, though.

It's just a fundamental flaw of the trackless system. It basically requires a lower capacity along with huge open rooms to give the vehicle space to maneuver (otherwise you'd be cutting the capacity even more with only one vehicle per room, and also mostly defeating the purpose of the system).
Could be more along the lines of figments system. Actually one of the movies has a peoplemover like vehicle doesn’t it? Ughh don’t make me re-watch prequels, please don’t.

matt9112

That's NOT how it would work. Having a Virtual Queue does not mean Ride of the Resistance. The problem with ROTR is the capacity issues of the ride itself (coupled with high demand).

Universal does several virtual queues. You don't have to get in line at rope drop. You can reserve your space almost any time of the day, and get your "callback" within an hour or 2. That's how it would work for an attraction like Jungle Cruise.

I think the demand for disney is fundamentally on another planet from uni.

UNCgolf

Could be more along the lines of figments system. Actually one of the movies has a peoplemover like vehicle doesn’t it? Ughh don’t make me re-watch prequels, please don’t.

Oh they could definitely build a good Star Wars ride using an omnimover type system. I'm just pretty sure they couldn't have built the current Rise of the Resistance using one; too much of it wouldn't work properly without the ability to reset between sets of vehicles.

Something like the ride system in Dinosaur might have worked, though (for most of it, at least -- I think there are certain things that still wouldn't have worked). I'm sure @marni1971 would know much more than me, though.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think the demand for disney is fundamentally on another planet from uni.
4j4iuc.gif

Figments Friend

So I guess reriding headlining attractions I guess is out the door. This type of stuff bothers me. I like being able to just walk up to an attraction and ride it as much as I want. I understood it for Rise because the demand is crazy but to do this across the board is going to get super annoying. I already hate the fact that I have to rely so heavily on my phone and a glitchy MDE. Call me old fashion, I just want to walk up and ride without having to jump through any hoops after I go through the front turnstile. If this is going to be the case where I can't just ride as much as I want, bring back the ticket book system. Why am I going to pay over $100 a day and have absolutely no control of how I spend my day.

You need to go to the Disneyland Resort in California for the experience you seek.
Whenever it reopens.

One can literally just walk in the front gate and do whatever they wish on a whim without being 'forced' to reserve and plan everything six months in advance like today's visitors to WDW are 'required' to do.

Go, and experience the joy of freedom again!
Enjoy the 'Disneyland Difference'!

:)

-

gerarar

Premium Member
Trackless ride systems have reached their peak with ROTR (imo). Everything about it is just genius and (arguably) perfect. It’s also not really all about said trackless system, it’s the combination of other ride systems like simulators and elevators. It’s one grand package like no other.

16 people max per dispatch, at a rate of about every 31 seconds. Now that’s severely reduced because of the one party per vehicle limit currently, but that’s looking to be increased to 2 parties per vehicle as Disney installs plexiglass dividers soon on the ride vehicles.

Trackless systems can be people eaters. A good example is MMRR. For the two or so weeks it was open before the closure it was eating a lot of guests and the line way always moving. (Or maybe I’m just mixing up things due to lack of FP+ maybe?, but there were plenty of reports saying that it was eating a lot of people and wait times were really quick)

Now with that, hopefully Disney can reinvent the wheel again like they did with ROTR and invest in some new ride system, or go back to older ride systems and reinvent those in new ways!

matt9112

Trackless ride systems have reached their peak with ROTR (imo). Everything about it is just genius and (arguably) perfect. It’s also not really all about said trackless system, it’s the combination of other ride systems like simulators and elevators. It’s one grand package like no other.

16 people max per dispatch, at a rate of about every 31 seconds. Now that’s severely reduced because of the one party per vehicle limit currently, but that’s looking to be increased to 2 parties per vehicle as Disney installs plexiglass dividers soon on the ride vehicles.

Trackless systems can be people eaters. A good example is MMRR. For the two or so weeks it was open before the closure it was eating a lot of guests and the line way always moving. (Or maybe I’m just mixing up things due to lack of FP+ maybe?, but there were plenty of reports saying that it was eating a lot of people and wait times were really quick)

Now with that, hopefully Disney can reinvent the wheel again like they did with ROTR and invest in some new ride system, or go back to older ride systems and reinvent those in new ways!
Im sure the view will be good through that plexiglass.

Jon81uk

So I guess reriding headlining attractions I guess is out the door. This type of stuff bothers me. I like being able to just walk up to an attraction and ride it as much as I want. I understood it for Rise because the demand is crazy but to do this across the board is going to get super annoying. I already hate the fact that I have to rely so heavily on my phone and a glitchy MDE. Call me old fashion, I just want to walk up and ride without having to jump through any hoops after I go through the front turnstile. If this is going to be the case where I can't just ride as much as I want, bring back the ticket book system. Why am I going to pay over $100 a day and have absolutely no control of how I spend my day.

In theory no it should be the same liklihood as current operations. If the ride is walk-on then no queue is there, virtual or otherwise.
If the queue gets so long that it is spilling into the walkway, then they operate a virtual queue and you return after the wait time has elapsted, if you would have been waiting 90 minutes in line you come back in 90 minutes.

The ability to ride as much as you want is currently limited by the length of the line which is determined by the capacity versus the popularity.

Jon81uk

I'm not sure if this helps anyone figure out the spacing of lines but when I was there on the 11th I remarked to my friends that our spot in the queue at Splash Mountain for a 45 minute wait is typically where we'd be when the line was at 90-120 minutes on a normal day.

That's mainly the effect of not having FP slowing the standby down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom