Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

Some don't have a choice if their employer won't allow them back to work and they can't work from home or their kids' school will require them to do remote learning for 2 weeks upon return. And still others (like my wife and me) wouldn't be able to see any family for 2 weeks due to not wanting to potentially expose them to anything we may have caught while in FL. Not everyone from NJ is a jerk, despite our reputation.
Easy! I have family in NJ and I definitely would not see people from NJ as having a reputation like that. I do scratch my head and wonder about the logic and reason behind some laws, rules and regulations. Hey, by the way when is the "can not pump your own gas" law going to go away? All I say is this whole list thing is not practical and produces no positive results.

Chip Chipperson

Easy! I have family in NJ and I definitely would not see people from NJ as having a reputation like that. I do scratch my head and wonder about the logic and reason behind some laws, rules and regulations. Hey, by the way when is the "can not pump your own gas" law going to go away? All I say is this whole list thing is not practical and produces no positive results.

I hope the not pumping our own gas law never goes away! I don't need smelly gas hands.

I don't know how effective the quarantine list is but it - combined with FL's poor performance so far - is certainly having an impact on Disney's resorts. This is the time of year when people from up here really like to go there (especially Jersey Week, which i avoid at all costs) yet Disney can't even fill the resorts that they've opened and seem to have trouble filling their limited capacity most days based on how often they make more AP spots available.

SamusAranX

It’s simply maddening to continue to see false information continually be placed on this thread over and over again, I’m done.

Enjoy your fantasy where this virus is a hoax, or it’s simply the flu, or we are about to turn the corner. We have an absolutely terrible 2-3 months coming that could become longer if we don’t do a 180 on public policy in this country. If a vaccine happens, it won’t get to most people until summer 2021 at the earliest. Sadly, the bloodbath that will occur this winter I think will silence much of the anti vaxxer support.

For those of you who think I’m wrong, my colleagues and I will try to prevent the virus from killing you when you get it, assuming we have a hospital bed to put you in. You have a 5% chance of needing to be hospitalized if you get it. So next time you see new cases in your area divide by 20; that’s how many people from that day will need to be hospitalized.

For the last time, stop going to restaurants and bars, stop going to large public gatherings, and for the sake of humanity wear a mask.

I know from previous posts you're in Wisconsin and in the medical field , and I've seen how things are there right now; I hope you are doing well all things considered. Stay sane!

Disstevefan1

I see this thread got tagged politics. We know medical does not apply, the proper tag should be “money” because these COVID numbers are driven by money, you don’t have to believe me, I was at hospital this week and was told by staff COVID numbers were driven by money, this was told to me unsolicited.

Therefore a better tag should be money.... oh wait... politics=money.... never mind....

lazyboy97o

I see this thread got tagged politics. We know medical does not apply, the proper tag should be “money” because these COVID numbers are driven by money, you don’t have to believe me, I was at hospital this week and was told by staff COVID numbers were driven by money, this was told to me unsolicited.

Therefore a better tag should be money.... oh wait... politics=money.... never mind....
People just randomly confess to being engaged in criminal activity to you?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to add to my own post. My previous employer a different corporation had to pay 514 million to the DOJ for kickback fraud. The hospital I worked at the medical director got fired for writing narcotic prescriptions to nurses in exchange for sex. You can’t make this stuff up.
I have no knowledge of Covid fraud except for rumors . Maybe well find out in a few years. There is whistleblower protection for healthcare workers.
Im not sure why people think these big healthcare conglomerates are models of integrity. They are just like every other corporation.
I agree with this 100%. Every corporation has a series of checks and balances, they have audits and if they are either publicly traded or have publicly traded debt or are a non-profit they have audited financial statements. After Sarbanes Oxley was passed there‘s a framework of internal controls that is reviewed as part of their audit as well. Every company has some form of ethics hotline or whistleblower process to report fraud or unethical behavior. Despite all of these controls we still see cases of fraud all the time. In general the vast majority of these fraud cases involve high level executives cooking the books for personal gain. It’s highly unlikely orders came down from execs to push a Covid diagnosis to the front line doctors without someone objecting. Someone would report this to a whistleblower hotline or to the media. I would think it would be highly unlikely that a hospital executive or someone who can directly benefit from these higher Billings could change a death certificate. The best chance for fraud would be in the reporting back to the insurance companies or Medicare. Alter the reports to say more patients were Covid positive. I would think that would be easily discovered in an audit but that doesn’t mean people wouldn’t do it. Either way that billing information has notjimg to do with the publicly reported cases or deaths.

In the case of this rumored Covid fraud it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if in the future there are cases of fraud discovered at a hospital. That being said, because there is a financial incentive for hospitals to treat Covid patients that doesn’t mean a large number of Covid cases or deaths are fake or fraud. It’s a giant leap to assume that is the case and usually just self serving to support a narrative. In an extreme example if 10% of the cases and deaths were actual fraud for the benefit of hospital billing (highly unlikely it’s that high) than cases are really 7.2M instead of 8M and US deaths are 198K instead of 220K. Not an Earth shattering change.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I'm still mind blown by how many here have the belief in some conspiracy for all the restrictions and the amount of deaths. It would make things so much easier if people just moved on with their lives and take the politics out of it. Yes it bothers me I can't travel like I used to right now but outside of that I am doing everything I used to. To be honest the whole mask is not a big deal.

Patcheslee

No one I work with wants it. There is also the fact that about 30% of my co-workers have already had the virus and recovered just fine. The rest of us wonder if we already had it or if we just aren't going to get it. The people were admitting with Covid aren't as sick as they were a couple of months ago. Could the virus be less virulent? There are just so many unknowns.

It's hard to believe we've only been in this for 7 months. It feels like 7 years. By the time they come out with a safe vaccine this virus could be a thing of the past.
I highly doubt many at my work want it. Every year they offer the flu vaccine on-site, that's nothing new. But this year the participation rate is still under 20%. So without having to even go into a doctor's office, schedule appointments, or Covid being around, not many are willing to have it.
At the same time we have 1 coworker who's doctor it trying to decide if he was reinfected 2 weeks ago, if it has reactivated, if the positive test back in April was faulty, or some other medical possibility for testing positive again.

oceanbreeze77

It’s simply maddening to continue to see false information continually be placed on this thread over and over again, I’m done.

Enjoy your fantasy where this virus is a hoax, or it’s simply the flu, or we are about to turn the corner. We have an absolutely terrible 2-3 months coming that could become longer if we don’t do a 180 on public policy in this country. If a vaccine happens, it won’t get to most people until summer 2021 at the earliest. Sadly, the bloodbath that will occur this winter I think will silence much of the anti vaxxer support.

For those of you who think I’m wrong, my colleagues and I will try to prevent the virus from killing you when you get it, assuming we have a hospital bed to put you in. You have a 5% chance of needing to be hospitalized if you get it. So next time you see new cases in your area divide by 20; that’s how many people from that day will need to be hospitalized.

For the last time, stop going to restaurants and bars, stop going to large public gatherings, and for the sake of humanity wear a mask.
I am so sorry that you and your colleagues are faced with this disrespect. In the beginning everyone was all enthralled with supporting frontline healthcare workers. Now, not so much. Now with the politicalization and the dismissal of the severity of the issue, you guys have become the forgotten ones. Everyone is quick to talk about the economy, the general public, how many hospital beds there are, how many establishments are open, etc. But few have stopped to really think about the people who are saving lives or doing the best they can to fight this virus. Thank you. I can imagine it must be hard for you guys to keep the momentum going or to be hopeful when all of this bull is surrounding you, but know that there are SO MANY of us who are eternally grateful for you all, you are appreciated, and you are in our hearts and thoughts. Keep fighting the good fight.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 87 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 12.39.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 12.39.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 12.39.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 12.40.01 PM.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, WEAR A MASK unless you are by yourself, wash hands frequently and avoid large gatherings (particularly in enclosed spaces). Yes COVID19 is an equal opportunity infector and a large closely gathered group of people w out masks in an opportunity to rapidly spread. That said, I find the vast majority of people are mindful and respectful of each other and do social distance, wear masks, wash hands etc. etc. etc. hence I see a mild flu season and do not see this catastrophic COVID19 surge. The numbers ebb and flow constantly rising and falling. The long term trend is not supporting a "SURGE". The U.S. does not have an exclusive on COVID19 and the fluctuations are very obvious.

“most” doesn’t work in virus containment. They said that on day one...and every day since.

You been busy?

It applies to people from NY/NJ going to FL for vacation and then returninghome, too, so it directly impacts tourism in FL.

You mean the single biggest geographic “funnel” of business to Florida?
Sure and those travelers are self reporting themselves to the authorities upon return.

You’re being either really silly or uniformed about this.

It’s not worth the hassle to most. And that kicks wdw straight in the wallet. Watch and learn...frankly.

Some don't have a choice if their employer won't allow them back to work and they can't work from home or their kids' school will require them to do remote learning for 2 weeks upon return. And still others (like my wife and me) wouldn't be able to see any family for 2 weeks due to not wanting to potentially expose them to anything we may have caught while in FL. Not everyone from NJ is a jerk, despite our reputation.

It’s never gonna penetrate those shields, Captain Kirk

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I can tell you for a fact that it is in the financial best interest of any hospital to treat a COVID patient. If somebody is in the hospital for any issue but tests positive for COVID they will 100% be "treated for COVID" even if they have no symptoms.
FWIW, I personally know two people in the last two months who had COVID. Both had difficulty breathing to the point that their spouses took them to the hospital for treatment (one went on at least 3 different occasions). In both cases, they were sent home each time without admission and told to seek treatment from their PCP (who told both that they have no way of treating them effectively with their symptoms). If it really was "in the financial best interest... [to treat COVID patients] even if they have no symptoms" my friends would have been admitted.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Disney Analyst

Looks like WDW isn’t getting a boost from Canadian tourists any time soon

I mean. Technically we can still fly down... but I don’t know many Canadians willing to go to the US right now.

But this measure only keeps the land border closed to avoid all the day trips that happen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think that tinfoil hat might be too tight

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Gee, I wonder what happened three weeks ago??? Do you think it may be responsible for the 20% increase in cases? If we are 20% more cases do we go back to stage 2?
\s
I know the answers and it is sad.

eta: it is like a blind man could see this coming.
Since this thread now has the “politics” tab...I’ll let it rip:

This cat is throwing his hat into the ring to become the most embarrassing politician in Florida history...

...and don’t believe for a second that the title isn’t one of distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom